Discussion on Sale to two companies

Comments

• comintelcomintel Posts: 354FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited July 8 #27

Vle045 said:

Did you use the FreedomPop app or your device’s native dialer? Did you follow the profile update they described?

I did post the instructions that they had emailed and also followed them. So yes and yes.

There seem to be a lot of posts from people having service problems, so I think this migration has been botched by FP/Ting.
    You cannot migrate 150,000 accounts from VOIP to cellular without glitches and user complaints. It is impossible to do other than by massive brute force..

Try resetting all network settings if the instructions did not work on your phone and you can tolerate reentering the settings.
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    comintel said:

Vle045 said:

Did you use the FreedomPop app or your device’s native dialer? Did you follow the profile update they described?

I did post the instructions that they had emailed and also followed them. So yes and yes.

There seem to be a lot of posts from people having service problems, so I think this migration has been botched by FP/Ting.
    You cannot migrate 150,000 accounts from VOIP to cellular without glitches and user complaints. It is impossible to do other than by massive brute force..

I suppose, I mostly just meant that my issue is not user error, the issue is with whatever FP/Ting are trying to do. It's actually not a big deal to me as this one is a spare phone.

Data is working, so it seems the issue is related to moving from VOIP to cellular. Is this basically the same as porting a number to a new service? If so then a delay makes sense.

comintel said:

Vle045 said:

I suppose, I mostly just meant that my issue is not user error, the issue is with whatever FP/Ting are trying to do. It's actually not a big deal to me as this one is a spare phone.

Data is working, so it seems the issue is related to moving from VOIP to cellular. Is this basically the same as porting a number to a new service? If so then a delay makes sense.
    Yes it is because the number has to be ported from a regional Local Exchange/VOIP Carrier directly to Sprint.
    edited July 13 #30
    Here is what the Ting Offer will be:

https://ting.com/mobile/freedompop

I am glad we have got it out finally.

Despite the fact that it says it will expire at year end, I believe they will try to extend it.

Post-Edit: They have taken it offline until next week for fine-tuning before the final phase if the migration.
    Post edited by comintel on
    edited July 8 #31
    I love it!

Red Pocket is going to fight to get the Sprint users back again from Ting! I was wondering if they would do that, and they have.
    Credit agalvan
    https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discussion/41117/ting-migration-important-info-please-read#latest
    [quote]
    The previous owners of FreedomPop and UNREAL Mobile have agreed to transfer your number to Ting. We are excited to make the CDMA network available again as soon as possible so you can come back to FreedomPop, and not get stuck paying a minimum of $18/mo for any use over 500 minutes.
    You can either remain with Ting or port your number to any carrier of your choice, including Red Pocket! The Red Pocket brand will have special offers just for you starting from only $2.99! Please share your email address with us and we’ll make sure you get in on this exclusive deal hat will be available starting this week.
    [/quote]
  • Fabian LamaestraFabian Lamaestra Posts: 18FreedomPop Newbie
    Will FreedomPop the unlocking our phones so that we can go to another carrier?
    edited July 9 #33

Will FreedomPop the unlocking our phones so that we can go to another carrier?

FP no longer owns Sprint accounts, they now belong to Ting and are currently in the process of being transferred to Ting. Ting says they are allowed by Sprint to do International Sim Unlocks, which they will do, but not Domestic sim unlocks. If you are referring to the 6 month lock to FP after purchasing a phone from FP, yes, that should be released.
  • DavenyDaveny Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    Does anyone know why when I go to https://ting.com/mobile/freedompop it redirects back to their home page?
  • Carolyn FesslerCarolyn Fessler Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
  • Carolyn FesslerCarolyn Fessler Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    Has anyone gotten an email from either Ting or Red Pocket regarding their FreedomPop account? One of our CDMA phones stopped working until we did the carrier reset. We've also gotten emails from FP stating our Free account was being automatically upgraded -- to a paid account! Luckily there was a link to click to reverse that! I haven't seen anything yet from anyone for my GSM iphone account. Frustrating!
    Daveny said:

Does anyone know why when I go to https://ting.com/mobile/freedompop it redirects back to their home page?

That is the page where you will access your account after it is moved to Ting next week and see their offers. They have blocked it until the accounts are actually moved to Ting next week because it does not work yet.
  • tribute62tribute62 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie

Looks like they've broken my Sprint phones as they try to migrate it.

I got an email from FreedomPop (and a similar message on the FP app), saying:

Your device is in the process of being migrated to a fully native experience with the same plan you have today. You will be able to use the native messaging app for text messages with the same number for better experience.
    OK, here's what they forgot to say:

UNINSTALL FP's Messaging app & install Google's Messaging app!

The automated update on my LG Tribute did NOT update the profile, and I had to do that one myself.

Once the above are done, reboot the phone, and see if you can call out AND access data via cellular connection (turn WiFi off if you have a WiFi connection).

I did this and mine worked fine, though so far most voices sound a bit more bass (deeper) than before or on a land line.
    edited July 15 #39
    tribute62 said:

Your device is in the process of being migrated to a fully native experience with the same plan you have today. You will be able to use the native messaging app for text messages with the same number for better experience.
    OK, here's what they forgot to say:

UNINSTALL FP's Messaging app & install Google's Messaging app!

The automated update on my LG Tribute did NOT update the profile, and I had to do that one myself.

Once the above are done, reboot the phone, and see if you can call out AND access data via cellular connection (turn WiFi off if you have a WiFi connection).

I did this and mine worked fine, though so far most voices sound a bit more bass (deeper) than before or on a land line.
    My phone began working after 24-48 hours. But, IMO, FP did a poor job of explaining this process and how much time it would take. But I am sure things will continue improving under the new ownership. I would not have any qualms about porting it back once it actually leaves, if the new FreedomRedPocket:smile: turns out to be the best option for the usage it will get in future.
  • Ming ChenMing Chen Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie

Once the migration is completed, you may lose cellular connections temporarily. If so, please make sure you perform profile update by dialing this number based on your device:

- For Android device: ##72786#
    - For iOS device (iPhone): ##873283##
    - For Google phones (Nexus/Pixel): *#*#72786#*#*

Now outgoing calls get "the number or code you have dialed is incorrect" and incoming gets "the number you have dialed is temporarily not in service".

Hopefully the message about it being temporary is correct.

Also attempt to send text and get message that I am not allowed to send text messages.
    Do you have an iPhone? It appears that the # they put in the email for iOS device is wrong, it should be ##873283# (one ending # instead of two).
  • kechristen  kechristen Posts: 25FreedomPop Newbie
    edited July 16 #41
    comintel said:

In preparation, I would suggest that everyone make sure their FP Sprint accounts are in order. Get numbers for any phones that have lost the number. Reactivate any expired credits. Make sure the email address works.

Ting will be mailing all FP CDMA accounts with details in a few days.
    I still have gotten no such email. Just a mysterious email from Freedompop saying that the Freedompop app was going away and that I could use the native dialer and messenger app on my phone after that. This was passed off as an improvement in my service. No mention was made of the sale, Ting, any transition, or anything about new plans or deals. I am using the 100% free service.

My brother did get an email last week mentioning the sale to Ting and a transition and also gave two plan options. He is on a paid ~$7/mo. Freedompop plan.

Is Freedompop ghosting its Freemium customers about all of this because they know Ting won't do FREE and they don't want to deal with the blow-back in the interim?
    Post edited by kechristen on
  • Thomas DaviesThomas Davies Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    this is the biggest piss poor migration plan I have ever seen. after a week or more a statement comes out after the fact. why wasn't it broadcasted ahead of time to the poor customer base?
    are they trying to flush all current customers and then re-establish new one, what goes on here.
    If I ran this business as I have in similar companies in the past the entire workforce would be replaced
  • hippoatlarge@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    I am having problems with the migration from FP to TING. My husband's account & phone # has not been moved there yet. TING said that he owed money to FP, but his account is a free one and he is paid up in full and good to go. FP NEEDS TO MOVE and migrate my husband's account over to TING asap.

comintel said:

In preparation, I would suggest that everyone make sure their FP Sprint accounts are in order. Get numbers for any phones that have lost the number. Reactivate any expired credits. Make sure the email address works.

Ting will be mailing all FP CDMA accounts with details in a few days.
    I still have gotten no such email. Just a mysterious email from Freedompop saying that the Freedompop app was going away and that I could use the native dialer and messenger app on my phone after that. This was passed off as an improvement in my service. No mention was made of the sale, Ting, any transition, or anything about new plans or deals. I am using the 100% free service.

My brother did get an email last week mentioning the sale to Ting and a transition and also gave two plan options. He is on a paid ~$7/mo. Freedompop plan.

Is Freedompop ghosting its Freemium customers about all of this because they know Ting won't do FREE and they don't want to deal with the blow-back in the interim?
    You can check your FP account, too. I'd not yet gotten an email but there is now a notification when I log on to FP account. It says: "Action RequiredThis account no longer works with FreedomPop...." and has a link which ultimately led to their offers and gave the option to take one of those, get porting information, or cancel the number.

I, too, have been 100% free with FreedomPop. So, of course, I am too cheap to accept either Ting offer :smiley: .
  • Devin SchwartzDevin Schwartz Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie

I'm posting this to start discussions of the changes to fill a vacuum of information on the transition from FreedomPop to the two companies:

All CDMA device accounts sold off to ting
    All GSM LTE SIM accounts. FreedomPop brand. [and employees etc?] all sold off to Red Pocket.

"Vacuum of information" is an apt description! I purchased a refurbished iPhone 5 (CDMA) directly from FreedomPop back in 2017, and have been on the Basic Free Plan (200 minutes + 500 texts + 500 MB) since. The first inkling I had about any upcoming sale, porting of numbers, or changes to service of any kind was a cryptic text I received this morning from FreedomPop which read as follows:
    Action Required: This phone no longer works with FreedomPop. Ting has an exclusive deal to save your number. More info in your email or ting.com/freedompop.
    I immediately came here to check the forums and have been gathering information on the changes ever since. It sounds like other Basic Free plan users were also caught off-guard by the change and were not made privy to it before their numbers were ported, while customers on paid plans were informed as early as a month or more ago.

I received the recent texts from FreedomPop regarding the ability to use my iPhone 5's native messaging and call apps with open arms, and at the time simply assumed those changes were made in response to long-awaited feature requests. Apparently that was not the case.
    comintel said:

Moreover, this prospect will hopefully motivate Ting to make some great offers to try to keep us from leaving them right after we arrive!

As a FreedomPop customer with a CDMA device, I'm personally affected by the switch to Ting. Based on an email received this morning, they are offering two deals to affected FP customers:

— Option 1: $6 unlimited talk and text + $4/GB
    — Option 2: $20 unlimited talk and text + 20GB data + first month free

While $6/mo for unlimited talk and text is pretty good value, the lack of any accompanying data jacks up the price on that option even for a light data user like me. The other option is far more data than I need, at a price point that doesn't interest me.
    comintel said:

As you note, one of those places you can move it to after the free Ting trial will be Tello. Another, that will also be popular, will be back onto the "new" now-Red-Pocket-owned FP, once they package their Red Pocket Sprint access into a new FP Sprint-based offering, as they have said they will. I would guess they are waiting for Ting to initially get the CDMA phones off FP in the first place to start with, since Ting bought and paid for the CDMA accounts. This should happen in a few days.

Is there any other news regarding when Red Pocket-owned FP will be offering the new Sprint-based offering via FreedomPop, as quoted above? I checked out Red Pocket Mobile's cellular plan offerings on the Red Pocket website, but their 500 minutes + 500 texts + 500 MB plan checks in at $10/month:

https://www.redpocket.com/plans

They do offer an annual plan titled "Basic Plan" for $60 ($5/month), but that includes only 100 minutes + 100 texts + 500 MB per month, with two top-up options available:

https://www.redpocket.com/plans/ebay

At this point, the FreedomPop website is still advertising the Basic Free plan with talk + text + data for $0 (plus administrative fees, presumably), what I assume to be the equivalent of the plan that all of the FreedomPop customers on GSM networks are still receiving.

It looks like the most attractive option for me — assuming it's possible — would be to port my number over from my new, unsolicited Ting account to FreedomPop and purchase a CDMA SIM card kit to become a there-and-back-again FreedomPop customer on the Basic Free plan.

The other option would be to simply wait it out a bit longer to see what develops. I'll have to hit up customer service — which I hope is now being operated by Red Pocket — and inquire as to what they recommend.

It looks like the most attractive option for me — assuming it's possible — would be to port my number over from my new, unsolicited Ting account to FreedomPop and purchase a CDMA SIM card kit to become a there-and-back-again FreedomPop customer on the Basic Free plan.

The other option would be to simply wait it out a bit longer to see what develops. I'll have to hit up customer service — which I hope is now being operated by Red Pocket — and inquire as to what they recommend.

My understanding is you won't need a SIM card, wherever you go with your Sprint phone. There was some discussion of that on page 1 of this thread. But maybe you meant the regular GSM LTE SIM, that FP is apparently still offering.

My own Sprint phone is an extra, that I will now pass on to one family member or another. Tello, Hello, or Red Pocket are likely final destinations. Speed Talk is another one with a $5 per month plan that I heard of from another poster here, but it's same minutes and texts as Red Pockets $60 per year and only 100 MB.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,352FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18 #47
    It is appearing that all balances are forfeited.
    Credits
    Rollover
    Unused Pre-Paid months

All ting is getting is the phone and number from FreedomPop.

Has anyone gotten a refund of any of the above due to the sudden change that was NOT an option with customer to select ?
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    edited July 18 #48

It is appearing that all balances are forfeited.
    Credits
    Rollover
    Unused Pre-Paid months

All ting is getting is the phone and number from FreedomPop.

Has anyone gotten a refund of any of the above due to the sudden change that was NOT an option with customer to select ?

On Ting's side, that is correct.
    On the FP side, some people are succeeding in getting them some of credited back on request to FP for other uses (mainly GSM LTE for now)..
    Post edited by comintel on
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,352FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    So no refunds but credits towards GSM accounts ?

But with rollover, they have always NOT moved rollover balances across the two networks.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    edited July 18 #50

So no refunds but credits towards GSM accounts ?

But with rollover, they have always NOT moved rollover balances across the two networks.

I changed it to "some of them." Specifically, some TopUp Balances.

People posted that on SlickDeals. I have no idea about any of this, just mentioning what was posted for what it is worth.

It is not a policy necessarily, just what one user got from one rep. Hopefully there will be clarication from FP-RP.

[QUOTE=andrew-c;128958058]Just an FYI if you want to transfer over to a GSM sim they will transfer any topup credit you have on a CDMA plan if you DM them on twitter and cancel the CDMA plan.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=andrew-c;129012658]I used this link [url]https://www.freedompop.com/sim-card[/url] and signed up on the same email as the line I was canceling. Was $0.01, but you need $20 in top-up to go down to the free tier. I had that $20 on the CDMA line so now that it’s moved I can drop all the trials and put it on the free tier without further payment.[/QUOTE]
    Here's another one:

[QUOTE=BE28;129116212]Here's some good news, support did move my top off credits from the migrated number to the GSM SIM. Now just waiting for the SIM, but in the mean time I'll use the 500mb free from Ting on the CDMA SIM, until it stops working, and just clear the phone to possibly use it with Tello. I hardly ever hit my 550mb allowance as I'm close to WiFi, but probably will drain my topoff credits faster now on GSM.[/QUOTE]