messaging not working (also no phone calls)

Edward  Cannon Edward Cannon Posts: 28FreedomPop Newbie
A couple of days ago when I tried to start messaging, the following appeared:

[begin quote]
Service Upgraded

You have been upgraded to a full native service account. Please use the native messaging app for text messages with the same number for better experience.

Please also make sure you perform profile update by dialing ##72786#.....

Dismiss
[end quote]

What is this? I have not selected "Dismiss" because I have no idea what it's talking about.

Beyond that, I found that when I tried to make a call, I got some sort of message from Sprint saying to use a credit card or collect calling services.

Why would I get that message? What is going on here? This just happened suddenly a couple of days ago. I thought maybe it was a broken FP app update, but there has been no new update.

Comments

• Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Probably due to the sale of FreedomPop. Sprint phones are going to Ting.

I got an email about migrating to fully native experience and followed the instruction to dial ##72786#, when FP app started telling me "account not active". This has not helped, phone is still saying that and other error messages.

Also it's a FP phone with their custom ROM on it, so the only messaging app is the FP one. So not sure what the email means when it says: "You will be able to use the native messaging app for text messages with the same number for better experience."
  •  Edward  Cannon Edward Cannon Posts: 28FreedomPop Newbie
    Thank you Jeffrey. I found that "##72786#" somewhere in the FAQs, and it says I will have to enter my "MSL code", which was "sent to your email when you first signed up" (or something close to that). I just searched my e-mail and can't find anything about an MSL code -- whatever that is. I will try using the 72786 thing. I hesitated because I had no idea at all what it is or if it was even a real thing versus spam or even fraud. This is quite surprising and frustrating and disappointing. And this is after I lost the phone number on my *other* FP phone and have never understood what really happened, why they took the number away. (I foolishly bought two identical phones the same day, Samsung Galaxy S4 Enhanced, directly from FP.)

Finally, last night after I logged off, the following peculiar statements appeared in my browser:

[begin quote]
    Get 500 MB of FREE bonus data ($10 value) when you update your billing information today!

AlertData usage may be delayed by up to 24 hours.

Your phone number on the 3G network will be removed soon due to network upgrade. Click here to upgrade your account to keep the existing number!

We have finished migrating to the new 4G network. Data service on your 3G SIM will continue to work, but the phone number has been recycled. Click here to order a new 4G LTE SIM with a new phone number.

Our Global SIM is being discontinued due to performance issues. Please click here to switch to our improved LTE network.

For access to services like voicemail and more, please add your billing information to the account.

Please follow these steps to set-up your .
    [end quote]

I have *NOT* found FP to be easy to use. It's my first smartphone experience and has not been intuitive or user-friendly. I guess that's what I get for trying to keep it below 500 Mb of data per month (the "free" plan).

• john3maryjohn3mary Posts: 16FreedomPop Newbie
    I got the same upgrade message. What is this about? I do not want to upgrade to a paid service, I am just using the free service.
  • ReeftankyarnReeftankyarn Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I have been communicating via twitter, got info about the MSL number from them but I have tried the ##72786# with & without WiFi and nothing works. My son & I have been without phone, text & voicemail since Friday. It’s obnoxious because I usually text my friend about when to watch her son. Now we are using Facebook messenger.

Someone mentioned Ting. I checked & my phone is not compatible with Ting. I don’t have extra cash to buy a new phone, or even a new SIM. If my husband’s phone goes down, things will explode here. He needs to get codes texted to him daily for different programs he works on. Extremely sensitive information.

I certainly hope things get resolved quickly. Being text-free for 4 days hasn’t been good. I can’t imagine if we have to switch to another company.
  • Russell WoodRussell Wood Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    My phone is complete bricked from this update as well. No texts, no cell connection. I've reset ##72786## 20-30 times, with and without wifi. Uninstalled and reinstalled the apps and even gone in and turned off Sprint as the default network just for giggles. The phone shows as a LTE connection until I try to make a call then it goes away when the dialer starts and tells me the code or number I dialed is incorrect. I also turned off assisted dialing in an attempt to fix it. I had no idea the phone updated Friday and spent the weekend in quiet bliss as my daughter spent it on the side of the highway in a smoldering mini van. I'm done with this service and I pay for it...
  • gfitgfit Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm having the same problems just with messaging/texts. It all started on Sunday 7/7/19 with my texts not going thru but phone was still working. Did the updates to the app on my Galaxy S5 and nothing other than showing "SERVICE UPGRADED" along with all the other messages the OP received. Restarted, uninstalled and reinstalled several times with no luck. My FP messaging app keeps showing that " NO DEFAULT SMS APPLICATION FOUND" when I try to use it. So I check the Default apps and the messaging application is not there. I go to the Messaging app to transfer it and it shows that its already in default mode,,,huh?? Tried all the possible FP self help tips and still nothing. Whats next to try?
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Mine completed the process earlier today, so took 24-48 hours for me. Since it's a FP phone with their custom ROM, I downloaded the standard app, "messages", from google play and that now works for texting.

I have not done it, but would guess that I can now disable all the FP apps on the phone, since they will no longer be used for anything? Even if I were to eventually port back to the new, Red Pocket owned, FreedomPop, it sounds like they won't have their customers use the FP app for calling or texting.
  • MOGMANMOGMAN Posts: 5Unconfirmed, FreedomPop Newbie
    My phone has been down since this weekend also, I have gone completely through the setup several times, They say to use a "native" messaging app but I just get a 2120 error when I do.
    FREEDOMPOP BETTER GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER!! on my way to AT&T to see what they offer.
  •  Edward  Cannon Edward Cannon Posts: 28FreedomPop Newbie
    Now something else is going on. FP keeps alerting me about my payment information in spite of the fact that NOTHING has changed. I confirmed with my credit-card outfit yesterday that all is well with the credit card that I used to purchase my two FP phones and sign up with accounts, etc. NOTHING has changed, and yet it's saying account has been suspended due to some alleged problem with my payment method. I try to fix it, and it says it was successful but then goes right back to the same alert about my account suspended.