Is free plan staying around?

Jeremy dJeremy d Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie
For a short period an announcement showed up on this forum site saying that cdma users were being migrated to ting. https://bitly.com/TingMigration+ I don't know if ting has an equivalent to the free 500mb/200min/500 text plan that I've enjoyed for many years.

The sec filling listed on Wikipedia says

Upon migration, these subscribers will have the option to accept the Ting offering or cancel or port their service elsewhere. As a result, the actual number subscribers that continue their service with Ting is expected to be a portion of the initial acquired subscriber base. The number of subscribers opting to continue their service with Ting will depend, in large part, on the percentage of the approximately 100,000 STS Media customers on free service plans who elect to move to paid plans under the current Ting service plan offerings.

was just thinking about ordering a new battery for my phone, should I do that or is it about to become a paperweight anyway?

Answers

• Mark StrobelMark Strobel Posts: 58FreedomPop Newbie
    It appears that Freedompop and Ting have no idea regarding the free plan option after migration. I found out yesterday via twitter support that my number is being migrated to Ting. I was told that once the migration is complete, I would receive an email from Ting with further instructions.
  • Jeremy dJeremy d Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie
    Hopefully there's some option, either grandfathering something with ting, or some offer from freedompop to stay with them. Maybe a discount on a gsm phone (though the freedoms shop seems lacking in the android department at the moment).

Interestingly, I have 2 Sprint-based freedompop phones and accounts (a galaxy s3 and s2), and only one of them seems to have been "upgraded". But it would not be nice to have to go back to my old S2 to stay on freedompop
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had two other companies close and ting got the customers. Both times they 'gave' me $25 free credits to spend any way I wanted on their offerings. I could have gotten a decent service that used it up in a month. I went with the least offering like 100 min 0 texts and 200 MB and that lasted over 90 days. That 90 days gave me time to get the number ported to where I really wanted to be. (FreedomPop) That was nearly 5 years ago. I see they currently offer the same to new subscribers today. If their 'special' offer to CDMA customers is better than that, I might stick around longer.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 296FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    I believe that Ting has indicated elsewhere that they will not be offering a free plan. Red Pocket has said that they plan to continue to offer a free plan, but there have been no details.

A few days ago there had been a forum post (now seems to be gone) where Red Pocket FreedomPop indicated that they plan to soon offer an opportunity to port back from Ting and that there would be plans as low as $2.99 per month available.

I thought the implication of that might be that $2.99 will be the new "free", with the $2.99 being administrative fee and taxes or something like that. Since the cheapest Red Pocket plan is $5 per month and I think they have offered at least 15% off at times, this would only be like a $1 less than what Red Pocket has offered at times. For example they recently had offered anyone $50 for a year of service, but only on the "GSMA" (ATT) network. Red Pocket does not add any taxes or fees (at least they didn't when my spouse bought a year via Ebay) so the $50 per year would be $4.17 per month and $2.99 would be a discount of only another $1.18 from that.

The difference is that Red Pocket's $60 per year plan is 100 minutes and 100 texts per month, but 500 MB rather than the 200-250 that FP gave to SIM customers. Plus that Red Pocket plan includes voice mail, group messaging, and MMS, as well as using native voice and messaging, rather than an app with ads that are sometimes obnoxious, intrusive, and/or deceptive.
  • Jeremy dJeremy d Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie
    I eventually found this thread with much more information
    https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discussion/40888/discussion-on-sale-to-two-companies/p1