Messaging App No Longer Working After Network Update

SiliconhobbitSiliconhobbit Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
I own a Samsung Galaxy S5

Since the most recent network upgrade, the FreedomPop Messaging App no longer works. It looks like this:

I've "blocked" out all irrelevant and personal information btw.

#1 In screen 1 you can see the yellow bar informing of a service upgrade.
#2 Screen 2 is what you get when you touch the yellow bar in screen 1.
#3 Screen three is what you get when you attempt to text using the FreedomPop Messaging App after the Service Upgrade. It will not allow you to text at all. Touching the yellow bar immediately opens the Google Play app.

Please Note:
#1 I already updated my profile by dialing ##72786#. Twice now to no avail.
#2 Touching the yellow bar in screen 3, opens Google Play, and defaults to Google Messenger. Google Messenger is not enabled on the network. I tried installing Google Messenger fresh. It will not work even if I set it as my default messenger.

I sent in a service ticket regarding this issue. Unfortunately, the person that responded either did not actually read what I wrote in about, or didn't care. In any case, they responded to me regarding Phone calls and their information and "advice" was and is useless to me.

The Tech person advised me to uninstall the FreedomPop App itself. This is useless information for 2 reasons:

#1 The FreedomPop App itself cannot be fully removed, only updates uninstalled. This is considered a native app and can only be removed if you Root you phone. I'm not going to do that.
#2 If I remove the FreedomPop App, how am I supposed to access my account details via phone? It is impossible to navigate via webpage, the FreedomPop website, on a PHONE. Not going to happen.

So I'll put it succinctly:

AFTER THE SERVICE UPGRADE
I am UNABLE to send or receive TEXTS.
I am ABLE to send and receive PHONE CALLS.
The FreedomPop Messaging App does not work.
The system prompts me to install Google Messenger, which is not enabled on the network.

How do I fix this mess? It seems that these issues are also preventing me from adding any new services to my account, or making any services changes at all. I'm not receiving texts (or sending them) for two days now and I'm starting to get pissed off. Actual Support Tech help from the website seems useless.

Does anyone have some real info or a real fix for this situation?

Comments

• mehul3131mehul3131 Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I am having same problem for past 2 days. I touch yellow bar on screen 3, and nothing happens. I can't send or receive text.

I get Error Code 502 "Please re-sync account date or log out and log back in" when logged in to Freedom Pop app. I did this 10 times, still Error Code 502 is not going away.
  • imacimac Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
    I get those same 3 screens as you above. I cannot use the Freedompop messaging app for texts, but when I change to the samsung phone's native messaging app, although very tedious in its use, I have been able to send and receive texts, although they are never delivered or received in a timely manner!
    At this point, to all extent I have lost confidence in my phones texting ability.
  • EmilyEmily Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    me too, same problem. I'm paying for MMS/group service, can't use it. The tech advised me to try a different app. I've tried 3. None work. All say MMS service is not enabled in the network. This may be the end of freedompop for me.
  • jhFPwtfjhFPwtf Posts: 17FreedomPop Newbie
    Samsung Galaxy S7 here, I was able to uninstall the call/messaging app no problem. The issues I had initially was that I was unable to make or receive any kind of call or text. After about a dozen soft resets and hard resets, I now have calling and basic texting (SMS) working, but MMS (sending and receiving pictures, group messages) I can receive but NOT SEND. I have had several support tickets (and even ponied up for the "VIP Support" service, but have had no success with it. After looking my anger with one of the service reps, I was finally told that the MMS issue was being worked on and that there was not ETA with a fix.
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    jhFPwtf said:

Samsung Galaxy S7 here, I was able to uninstall the call/messaging app no problem.

Sprint phones that were purchased directly from FreedomPop have a custom ROM, with the FP apps as part of that (at least that is the case with mine, which indicates it is "Chameleon"). For these FP apps can not be removed, only disabled in the same way as Google's apps that are part of standard Android can not be removed.

If you added the FP app yourself from the Google Play Store, then it can be removed.

The rest of the issues are most likely related to the migration to native voice and text (which is related to the sale to Ting in the case of Sprint phones), apparently moving from VOIP to regular cellular is essentially as if your number were being ported to a new service. Mine took 24-48 hours to complete, during which time I did a lot of useless dialing of ##72786# :-) .
  • Ramon  GonzalezRamon Gonzalez Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    I am having same problems as Siliconhobbit post it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the messaging app to see if even going back to the factory default app would work but it doesn't, it just keep trying to register my phone but just idles. It sounds like the upgrade is more of a oops, I broke it.
  • Kathysmith3Kathysmith3 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I have an android and my phone do was recently updated previously it did not ring but i could make calls, now when I try to make calls it goes to roaming. the freedom pop messaging app is no where to be found so now I can no longer make or receive calls, however google works and so does facebook messenger but the phone part does not
    I bought my phone from FreedomPop about 3 years ago, came preinstalled with their messaging app. I was still able to uninstall the app. I have been able to fix the calling and SMS issues myself, but MMS is still messed up (I am able to receive MMS, but not send, with a message saying Whoops, Low account balance).
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    jhFPwtf said:

I bought my phone from FreedomPop about 3 years ago, came preinstalled with their messaging app. I was still able to uninstall the app. I have been able to fix the calling and SMS issues myself, but MMS is still messed up (I am able to receive MMS, but not send, with a message saying Whoops, Low account balance).

I bought my FP Sprint phone about 2 years ago and the only options for FP apps are "uninstall updates" and "disable". Perhaps they changed the way they were setting them up over time? Mine has FP diagnostics, voicemail, and my freedompop apps along with FP's messaging app, none of which can be removed.

I don't have FP MMS service, so can't help with that.
  • kzbkzb Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    I have been without text and phone since Thursday. Any known fixes? Support is not responding, even with VIP.
  • CJACJA Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Messaging has been out for DAYS! I'm getting the same 3 screens as above.
    I can't believe there is no tech support to address this issue or help.

I'm not able to uninstall the messaging app.
    I'm also not able to submit a ticket or get ANY help from FreedomPop.
    I've read everything here on messaging.
    Irritated ~~
  • CJACJA Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    RECENT SERVICE UPGRADE - message rec'd from FreedomPop
    https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3697
  • SiliconhobbitSiliconhobbit Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    I have another question.

If I'm supposed to uninstall the FreedomPop Messaging App, how am I supposed to Sync my phone and account?

The only way to do that is from the FreedomPop Messaging App. Since the app is uninstalled...I cannot sync my account and I cannot change, add or disable any services.
  • AnaLugo123AnaLugo123 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi all, I found this which explains the situation: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3697

They did a terrible job handling this transition.. it was frustrating and I honestly almost left freedompop. They need to hire better customer support people. This could have been very easy and painless for all of us
    @Siliconhobbit this is what I have been trying to get through for almost a week now. A service rep told me that they are aware of an issue, but he could not give me an ETA to when it would be resolved. I am really getting fed up myself. I have been a FP customer for years now, and I find this customer supper appalling.
    As of today, I can no longer make OR receive phone calls.

*sighs* what a POS service this has turned into.

I've got no way to sync my account data because the FreedomPop Messaging App was the only way to do so.

Google Hangouts does not work either. I cannot make or receive texts.

Also...it's bull that we will not lose previous text messages. Of the 3 attempts I've made to use other texting programs, NONE of my previous text conversations have migrated over or been saved.

Now I'm about to pay for another month of service and my phone has become a glorified web browser. At least I can access Wifi sites. I don't know if I can access the internet on the phone line since I can no longer make or receive phone calls.
  • Thomas DaviesThomas Davies Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie

Hi all, I found this which explains the situation: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3697

They did a terrible job handling this transition.. it was frustrating and I honestly almost left freedompop. They need to hire better customer support people. This could have been very easy and painless for all of us

"they need to hire customer service", Huh Huh, have you talked to them, they are offshore staff working out of their bedrooms around the world, tech support is a joke, which you outlined.
  • Thomas DaviesThomas Davies Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    if FreedomPop apps no longer works, because of the company take over, why are they still offered on Play Store
  • mektekmektek Posts: 18FreedomPop Newbie
    Try connecting to wifi or vpn first. Once you have a connection, manually run the app from the app drawer. Then you can disconnect from the wifi or vpn and the app will keep the connection. The automatically starting messaging app has not worked for weeks now, but using this method I have been able to get voice service back.
  • Thomas E RuppertThomas E Ruppert Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    It works! Have to do more experimenting. I agree customer service is **** in a hand basket. Thanks...
    mektek said:

Try connecting to wifi or vpn first. Once you have a connection, manually run the app from the app drawer. Then you can disconnect from the wifi or vpn and the app will keep the connection. The automatically starting messaging app has not worked for weeks now, but using this method I have been able to get voice service back.

Every attempt I've made to get things to work has been while I'm on Wifi.

Want to know what's even more **** up? Today, along with phone calls not working, I'm constantly getting the pop-up error message "Messenger has stopped working". I'm not sure HOW this is even possible, as the FreedomPop Messaging App has been uninstalled and a reset with ##72786# removed it from the system completely. It used to be that this message showed up when you went from Wifi to an area with no Wifi connection. Now I don't even know how or why I could even get this error message when the App isn't even installed on the phone anymore.
    edited July 16 #26
    mektek said:

Every attempt I've made to get things to work has been while I'm on Wifi.

Want to know what's even more **** up? Today, along with phone calls not working, I'm constantly getting the pop-up error message "Messenger has stopped working". I'm not sure HOW this is even possible, as the FreedomPop Messaging App has been uninstalled and a reset with ##72786# removed it from the system completely. It used to be that this message showed up when you went from Wifi to an area with no Wifi connection. Now I don't even know how or why I could even get this error message when the App isn't even installed on the phone anymore.
    Post edited by Siliconhobbit on