What is happening to the hotspot service offered by Freedompop?

JeffUlrichJeffUlrich Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
I received an email today (which honestly should have been sent several weeks ago) explaining that Freedompop is no longer offering service on the Sprint network. The service has been moved to Ting Mobile and customers can switch over to them. This is for phone service but what about the mobile hotspot service offered through Freedompop? From what I can tell, Ting doesn't offer this service. So is it staying with Freedompop or being ended? My new billing cycle just started today. Anyone have an answer?

Answers

• TSKTSKTSKTSKTSKTSK Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    As Ting offers native hotspot service, any plan you choose with Ting will be able to do hotspot from the data bucket provided. If you have a standalone mobile hotspot, it just won't use the talk/text portions of the plan.
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 354FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited July 17 #3
    TSKTSKTSK said:

As Ting offers native hotspot service, any plan you choose with Ting will be able to do hotspot from the data bucket provided. If you have a standalone mobile hotspot, it just won't use the talk/text portions of the plan.

Do you have to pay for voice anyway if using a hotspot device that cannot use it? Or can you combine a phone and standalone hotspot on one account?
    Post edited by comintel on
  • LuckyLasVegas7LuckyLasVegas7 Posts: 16FreedomPop Newbie
    edited August 12 #4
    Post edited by LuckyLasVegas7 on
  • JeffUlrichJeffUlrich Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    I officially migrated my Freedompop account over to Ting so I will provide an update to this. Ting does offer mobile hotspot service and during the process there were two phone numbers listed, one for my phone and one for my hotspot. I had the choice of one of two intro plans but had to select the same plan for each device since it didn't give an option of selecting a different plan for each device. The two intro plans are either $6/line plus $4/gig of data or $20 for 20 gigs of data. Both include unlimited talk and text and will be honored until the end of the year.
  • John MinniJohn Minni Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi,
    I can't seem to bring over my hotspot. or my phone. I have emailed Ting.
  • John MinniJohn Minni Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi,
    I can't seem to bring over my hotspot. or my phone. I have emailed Ting.
  • Lisa26704Lisa26704 Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I have been having problems with my hotspot... It is the Netgear model, and it consistently says "no battery" after an hour or so of use. I understand this is due to a failsafe added to the programming to prevent overheating, but I have not found a suitable workaround.

I just renewed for a second year and need advice on what hotspot to buy, that I can just plug my SIM into and get started.

Now I am reading that a the hotspot service I JUST renewed will be discontinued... why was I able to renew it? When will it end? Will I get a refund for the rest of the year?
  • Patricia RowleyPatricia Rowley Posts: 34FreedomPop Newbie
    I have the net gear hot spot too and always get the same error message about the battery. I tried installing a new battery and that worked for a couple of months and it started the same error message. As a final work around, I took the battery out, and left the hotspot plugged into a timer that shuts off every four hours for one minute. The screen is set to never go to sleep. This has been working for several months now.
  • PleasePressZeroPleasePressZero Posts: 47FreedomPop Newbie
    Lisa26704 said:

I have been having problems with my hotspot... It is the Netgear model, and it consistently says "no battery" after an hour or so of use. I understand this is due to a failsafe added to the programming to prevent overheating, but I have not found a suitable workaround.

I just renewed for a second year and need advice on what hotspot to buy, that I can just plug my SIM into and get started.

Now I am reading that a the hotspot service I JUST renewed will be discontinued... why was I able to renew it? When will it end? Will I get a refund for the rest of the year?

When will it end? Imminently seems to be the answer. For those of us with CDMA devices, whose accounts were taken over by Ting, FreedomPop service as we knew it is already officially finito, and apparently it's just a matter of time before our former service stops working on our devices. I have not experienced that yet, nor have I seen a statement from Ting with a date certain for when that will occur. I'm waiting to see what happens on the monthly rollover date of my hotspot with 500mb free data. My other device, I rolled over to Ting yesterday.

If you prepaid for service, your recourse is with Freedompop, and you should contact them about a refund. For service going forward, you will either need to enroll with Ting, or port your service to another provider.

I can't help you with your search for a new hotspot. That may be a discussion for another thread, or for a different forum.