Guys what's this mean?

David DahlDavid Dahl Posts: 85FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

We've worked over the last 8 years to bring competitive pricing to the talk, text, and data plan market partnering with Red Pocket accelerates that mission further. Red Pocket not only has deals with all four carriers and the #1 ranked customer service, but they will also be investing heavily to grow and improve the FreedomPop service and availability.

Your current GSM Plans will not change and your existing services will not be impacted in any way.

In the upcoming weeks and months, you will benefit from better customer service and better products including SIMs with native voice and SMS so you do not have to use the FreedomPop app if you don't want to. As a valued FreedomPop customer, new upgrades will be offered exclusively to you first.

but my account says
Action RequiredThis account no longer works with FreedomPop. Ting has an exclusive deal to save your number. More info in your email or ting.com/freedompop

I don't have an income, I can't switch to Ting. What happened to "Your current GSM Plans will not change and your existing services will not be impacted in any way. "
thanks

Answers

• Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    CDMA phones that had FreedomPop service on the Sprint network have been moved to Ting.

If you bought an LTE SIM from FreedomPop, this is what they referred to as "GSM plans" in the notice that you quoted. Those accounts are staying here under the new owner, Red Pocket.
  • David DahlDavid Dahl Posts: 85FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jeffrey, I don't understand though. What is CDMA and LTE? Why will one work but the other won't? Is there a way then to get LTE for my phone?
  • David DahlDavid Dahl Posts: 85FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited July 20 #4
    I've been reading up. Is it possible to unlock my phone from Freedompop/Sprint and use a GSM card from Freedompop?
    Post edited by David Dahl on
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,333FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @David Dahl - low chances of that happening. Unless you have one of those fancy newer expensive smartphones from the last year or two.
    Older phones only supported ONE network (Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, US Cellular )
    Most Sprint phones other than the newest ones do not support other networks. So, unlocking will have no benefit to the customer. There is a process called "release" the phone, that allows the Sprint locked phone to work with many of the other MVNOs that use their network.

To 'switch' to GSM, you need either an old AT&T or T-Mobile phone of the last 3-4 years or so that can work. When unlocked and then insert a FreedomPop LTE SIM into the phone then you can make use of the GSM plans.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited July 23 #6

I've been reading up. Is it possible to unlock my phone from Freedompop/Sprint and use a GSM card from Freedompop?

You can find sites that may tell you what networks your phone should work on, search for something like: "networks my phone will work on" to find some.

You could also try the phone checker for BYOD on an MVNO that uses ATT or maybe at ATT itself, perhaps (FP LTE SIMs use the ATT network).

If it were me, I might choose to wait and see if FreedomPop is going to have offers for those who port back and/or wait to see what the new FreedomPop is going to offer in general. And were I doing that and wanted to retain the phone number, I'd look at either taking the Ting offer as a temporary measure or port somewhere else (that doesn't charge to port in or out) while waiting.