Google Hangouts will now do VOIP phone calls on Android

pleomorphpleomorph Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
Google announced today that the Hangouts app will now allow VOIP calls to US number (similar to what the iOS app has been offering). Just remember to keep an eye on your FreedomPop data usage, since these calls would use data instead of your minutes!

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/call-me-maybe-introducing-free-voice.html

Comments

• Gregory SuvalianGregory Suvalian Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Wondering why would I be used any Freedompop services at all (voice wise) after that? They will just drain battery while providing mediocre at best service as far as functionality is concerned compared to Google Voice.
    There is a checkbox (which is not checked by default) under settings in Hangouts application which allows you to receive GV calls in hangouts, with that setting you have full blown VOIP solution which requires only data connection for both incoming and outgoing calls.
  • RollingCheeseRollingCheese Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I wonder if the HTC EVO 4G will get the Hangout Dialer Feature.
  • Gregory SuvalianGregory Suvalian Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Why would you think any devices will be excluded from dialer? I successfully installed it on all devices I have, Galaxy S5, S3, S2, Moto G etc

Why would you think any devices will be excluded from dialer? I successfully installed it on all devices I have, Galaxy S5, S3, S2, Moto G etc

Probably because the dialger requires android 4.0+ which the evo 4g doesn't officially support support. All the devices you have listed officially support 4.0+ .
  • Andrew CunninghamAndrew Cunningham Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I have an EVO 4G and there is no dialer
  • Rosario CracchioloRosario Cracchiolo Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    call quality is not as good as Magicjack app or Vonage but it works.i personally am keeping hangouts and Google voice separate because i like to use a web browser to access Google voice calls
  • Rosario CracchioloRosario Cracchiolo Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    call quality is not as good as Magicjack app or Vonage but it works.i personally am keeping hangouts and Google voice separate because i like to use a web browser to access Google voice calls

I have an EVO 4G and there is no dialer

That is correct and it is now confirmed Google will not support any android that is below 4.0.3 .. Only way now is to root the evo 4g to a more recent android version.
  • JAY SANCHEZJAY SANCHEZ Posts: 410FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    I am deeply ambivalent about using Hangouts for voice calls. On the one hand, you can make free calls to numbers in the US, and it can be used from within most browsers. On the other hands, it does not support SMS, the interface is truly complicated (try to make a phone call from a Chromebook), and the sound quality is mediocre at best.
  • S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's definitely not as good as Google Voice with Groove IP was. A real bummer.
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
  • S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Oh, but I was able to send a "text" via SMS to someone who didn't have hangouts. Not sure about MMS though.
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
    Huh. Google Voice sound quality is amazing here on 4G LTE and wifi. Much better than Groove IP with google voice. Then hangouts one actually cancels out echoing.
  • DaveTalksDaveTalks Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie

I am deeply ambivalent about using Hangouts for voice calls. On the one hand, you can make free calls to numbers in the US, and it can be used from within most browsers. On the other hands, it does not support SMS, the interface is truly complicated (try to make a phone call from a Chromebook), and the sound quality is mediocre at best.

Are you sure? once you integrate a Googie Voice Account into Hangouts you can send and revive text messages using your GV number.

the UI is alot more "pretty" than what we use. Groove IP, Freedompop(Csipsimple), Hangouts,and skype all use different codecs to place calls along with entire hosting servers.

I have yet to do any call quality tests with Google/Hangouts but it would seem that GV/Hangouts+unlimited data plan would be the best option
  • douglas beerdouglas beer Posts: 91FreedomPop Newbie
  • pleomorphpleomorph Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    Nice! It's about time!