Why are my minutes being used when I am on my own wi-fi connection?

Gabe SimonGabe Simon Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
That's absurd. I can use any number of apps to make calls over wi-fi free of charge ...why would Freedompop take my minutes away when my phone is only using wi-fi and not using the network. Makes zero sense and seems kind of scammy.

Also, the unlimited plan isn't even remotely close to unlimited sadly. I bought a 4G LTE phone for the unlimited plan, and you only get 1gb of data under 4g ...then it drops down to 3g which I have no coverage in my area for. Stop claiming something that isn't true, only to nickle and dime us. I'd love to start praising your name all over the internet, but if I am paying for an unlimited plan and only getting 1gb of data? No.

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I don't know what the problem is. Having your minutes being used over wifi shouldn't be a problem for you because you are on wifi. It costs FreedomPop the same to provide SIP whether you are on a data connection or not, and if you want unlimited minutes, you can simply try the plan out and if you like it then subscribe to it. If you have issues with it, then use a different voice provider, I really don't understand how that is hard.

If the basic service for calling and data is free, I don't know why you are complaining. If you don't want it, nobody is forcing you to have it so you shouldn't be all mad about it.

Also, for the unlimited plan, it's kinda written out in the terms and conditions for the gig of LTE and then the rest of data being 3G. It isn't hidden or anything. Also, you can't have LTE without 3G with Sprint towers. If you have no 3G, get a femtocell like the Sprint Airave. It really shouldn't be a problem, I don't know why you have to complain about it. If you want unlimited LTE, get a Boost mobile plan and pay $35 for it monthly.

That's all I have to say.
  • ???? ??????? ??? Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    just email me and ill show you how to set up sip with unlimited min. and you can keep freedompops data plan. its just a few steps and costs nothing extra.
  • Gabe SimonGabe Simon Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Wait a minute, I can't even use my 4g if there's not 3g in my area? On the map it shows LTE blankets my ares, but no 3g. When I called Freedompop they said I was covered.

Oh and by the way ...unlimited has a pretty clear definition. 1gig is not unlimited, so I'm not sure what you don't understand.

That's all I have to say.
    @brittany simon‌ If you have 4G in your area you have 3G too. If LTE blankets it, then 3G will as well. You probably need to uncheck the LTE box and check 3G if you are covered.

And for the data plan, it is a clear definition, 1GB of LTE and then unlimited 3G. I don't know what you don't get about it being technically unlimited, and since all of this is clear you shouldn't be complaining that this is scammy or whatever.
  • RelentlesSRelentlesS Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    They say it right in the description of the unlimited plan, you get 1 GB of 4G LTE then it drops to 3G speeds. That is still unlimited data as there is no cap on how much data you can download it's just a speed throttle. This is much better than any other unlimited plan from companies like T-Mobile and Boost Mobile who offer unlimited plans but throttle the speed after using up your 4G LTE data to 2G speeds which are much slower than 3G
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭

That's absurd. I can use any number of apps to make calls over wi-fi free of charge ...why would Freedompop take my minutes away when my phone is only using wi-fi and not using the network. Makes zero sense and seems kind of scammy.

Also, the unlimited plan isn't even remotely close to unlimited sadly. I bought a 4G LTE phone for the unlimited plan, and you only get 1gb of data under 4g ...then it drops down to 3g which I have no coverage in my area for. Stop claiming something that isn't true, only to nickle and dime us. I'd love to start praising your name all over the internet, but if I am paying for an unlimited plan and only getting 1gb of data? No.

@brittany simon‌ , If you have unlimited talk and text, I do not understand how you minutes can be taking away. It should be unlimited at any of the three connection option. Freedompop work with SIP Voice over IP software and work in difference system then your data. Data is use for web browser and uploading and downloading purpose as well as video and audio services.

As for your data plan, Freedompop inform you of 1GB at 4g ( after use) and unlimited 3g until your next billing cycle. All the unlimited data plans I know of do this and cost more than freedompop.

As far as you not getting 3g, it because you not have updated the PRL and Profile and to do this;
    Go to Settings -> Software Update -> Update PRL/Profile (This is for Android Users)

In the native dialer, dial ##873283# and press call.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
    When I look at the sprint coverage map, I have ZERO 3g coverage where I live, yet when I click on 4g LTE my entire area is blanketed with it. So I don't know what the deal is there. I also have a BYOD S2 that I can't even activate because I have no 3g coverage here. Zipcode 33876
    Also on my BYOD I can't update the PRL or Profile because again, I don't have any 3g coverage. The other phone I have it the Victory, which I ordered directly from Freedompop so they activated it on their end.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,348FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BRITTANY SIMON‌ I believe when on wifi you can also prl & network updates. At least give it a try while waiting for Monday to roll around.
    As for the s2, what does the WiMAX show on sprints map? Should the s2's 4g play for you ? If not the total toast for you. eBay it while some value yet.
    Also check the 3G map, how far to drive to 'strong' area ? May want to consider if not too unreasonable.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    @brittany simon‌ Maybe you should shut off lte and see if you have 3G. If you do then the map lied. I supposedly have LTE where I live and no WiMAX according to the genius map but it is the other way around and I have no LTE but I do have WiMAX.

Also if you wanted to BYOD your S2 then enter an address with 3G coverage and then change it at checkout. I suggest the Boston apple store.
    Yah, I drove to a strong 3G area and still no love. No WIMAX here. prl and network on wifi doesn't work, give me the same error 131 from sprint. Oh well. Might take it to a Sprint store to see if they can do anything with it.
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Ali Hey Ali, Check out the coverage map for the area code Brittany is in. It shows a lot of pockets with roaming coverage only and the LTE map shows solid coverage. I think the coverage map is incorrect as far as LTE coverage goes. Even the map on the Virgin Mobile shows the same LTE coverage problem. Based on my experience where I live regarding 3g and 4g LTE coverage I am not surprised Brittany is having connection problems (3g and 4g). Even the Sensorly map is showing weak 4G LTE signal in a large part of the zip code area. The only area I could see on the Sensorly map with a decent 3g signal strength was around the lake, airport and a section of the highway.
    @Richard Allen‌ Looks like in her area there are some no service areas, Im surprised LTE is showing up. Maybe she should get an Airave or a Network booster for her house to fix the 3G issues.
  • Jerimiah McCuskerJerimiah McCusker Posts: 36FreedomPop Newbie
    did you Disable the data and turn on wifi only? my plain is just disable data and turn it back when i need it but i use wifi feature when im in wifi area
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Ali I am to. Just for grins and giggles I looked up a location in my area that showed a pocket of roaming only and it show the same thing of full 4G Lte coverage. I happened to be in that area over the weekend and found that I had no 3g coverage (as expected). What was interesting was that I could get a 4G LTE (not sure if it was Sprint or Verizon) signal but I was unable to make calls. Looks like the Sprint maps are not very reliable. I will stick with using sensorly for signal mapping.
    @Richard Allen‌ Since FP is data only I don't think that would be much of an issue. .. but that does happen a lot in other locations. If you have an iPhone that says "Extended LTE" then that means you are on Sprint LTE with Verizon Voice and if you are on a Sprint Android that says Roaming / LTE then the same thing applies.

Sprint has spotty legacy coverage, they should work on their maps.
  • richard trimblerichard trimble Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    what is roaming and do we have to pay more for it
    @richard trimble Roaming is when your carrier does not have a signal where you are at but another carrier that has a roaming agreement with your carrier which allows you to connect to their system. for Sprint the roaming partner that has the largest coverage foot print is Verizon (there are also a lot of smaller carriers mainly in rural areas). Freedompop does not allow roaming on their devices so you will not be paying for roaming.
  • Fredric LeslieFredric Leslie Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    I upgraded from Unlimited talk text 500mb to unlimited everything for $19.99
    Now I got the unlimited data but talk and text downgraded to 200min 500text. Also they offered free trial but I got charged $16.29 . Is there a way to contact freedompop support other than email? There's no email reply for 2 days.