How do I improve the voice quality on a Samsung Victory 4G LTE?

Answers

• MorganMorgan Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    @Rich Sias My download speed is 2.95Mbps, upload is .62 Mbps with -102dBm 16 asu. By the way, what do all these acronyms mean in respect to the way my phone is working? What is the norm?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,376FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm gathering info to help determine what meaning I/we can pull out of it.

The -102 seems not right when asu is 16. Is this 3G data, LTE, or WiMAX ?
    For my LTE is the asu is 8 or more, the call is crystal clear for the person to hear my speech. I don't have as much info for 3G yet. If I were to see asu 16, the dBm would be in -70's, a much stronger radio signal than -102.

I made one test call with -82 dBm 8 asu, on LTE, and wife said I was clear & understandable.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rich Sias ( LastDay: 16th )
    I like what your doing...Great Job...But I have one quick question. Are you looking for the sweet spot on each phone? What devices are you testing. Reason I ask. If I was to compare my Iphone to the androids i have...and hotspots. My Iphone blows them all out of the water...(that me just sitting in my chair)
    Is there any type of testing I can help with her at my home...

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

@Rich Sias ( LastDay: 16th )"‌

Thanks for trying to figure this out. I'm about to give up on it.
    Today my readings are -98 dBm 1asu on LTE14. I will give you my phone # if you want to try "can you hear me now".
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,376FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 #56
    Thanks @Morgan‌, PM The phone no to me. I have an hour I could do that game with. BUT, it drizzling here all day, might prefer to try earlier tomorrow morn.

Hey @njfulwider5‌ does the iPhones have a display of signal strength. For my Victory It's in my 'about' on android. Under 'status'. Usually number is -60's to -90's then some letters like dBm, ccim, etc. then I see asu, it ranges 1-16. 1&2 are awful for others to hear me. 4 is maybe. 8 up is good. Walking around your neighborhood, may trip over weak areas to chop up your voice and listener will complain eventually. Best to find good spot and stay put till call done.
    Another interesting item is: Mobile network type is either LTE:14 or eHPRD:13 ( 3G )
    While walking around these change as you go.
  • Janet HotsonJanet Hotson Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    @Rich Sias Hey, today I did the tests you recommended. Away from home my signal strength was 90dBm 4asu 14-call was clear no delay. Had the caller call me back-my phone didn't ring☏-went directly to voicemail. Next location: 78dBm 8asu 14-voice was clear on both ends, no delay. Next call: 87dBm 4asu 14 -Again voice clear. Home: 87 dBm 4asu 13- Voice was OK, breaking up a little I didn't notice a delay. Yesterday there was a Freedompop Messaging update. After the update I had to change the clock rate back to 44.1 KHz as recommended. So today the phone seems to work better when I'm on 4G. Since I'm on WiFi at home, is there any way to boost the signal strength so I can make calls at home? Why does my phone not ring sometimes and go directly to voicemail? Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am still looking on my iphone..on my wifes phone she get 97dBm 2asu with one bar......when she takes it out on the street,,,,full bars, she get 79dBm 2asu....

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

@njfulwider5‌ I thought these two numbers tracked each other. Obviously they're different. Maybe one is strength of CDMA and other is data strength. Need to learn more. One we master this, our advice can get better.

@Janet Hotson‌ this last give me enough evidence to say you are on the edge of weak signal. That's why your voice breaks up for the other person.
    You asked about boosting the 3G /4G signal. My Victory has two tiny brass connectors set down in holes in back when cover removed. I suspect they are connectors for antennas. If I connected up one or both to antennas with wires to back of my phone, I don't think I'd enjoy using the phone anymore. But if one is desperate, then maybe.

My wifi gives me nearly the full speed of my home ISP, so I don't really need to access FP via 3/4G.
    Hey guys....so this little delay we are all worried about....I decided to test my wife phone...she has regular cell service. There is a 1 second delay when talking to her....I compared with my Iphone....the same....compared to the htc evo 4g/3g...exactly the same.

The delay you hear, will only happen when you face to face with the other person on the phone...I promise....--->>>you not going to notice it when you away from the other caller.

I tell people all the time--->Don't Test your clarity at Home....The echo will drive you nuts.....
    Rich

Sorry I should have clarified on the signal....It was that strength on the same phone...CDMA....I don't have a GSM Phone to test....

But I played around with the wireless router and the phone...up to 110Dbm 2asu 1-2 bars

and when the phone got full bars....89Dbm 2asu.....

Rich---Remember I live right next to a Sprint Tower...So the further away, the better signal our phones get...At lease a block from the house...maybe 3

Yea, you're so close you're under the radar!

That's what it is, really. Signal goes out of antenna on tower and passes over your roof and spills across ground a couple of blocks from tower. You have a 6 block diameter 'cone of silence'. The point is at bottom of antenna mounted high on tall pole. Edge is 3 blocks from pole.
    Was there a movie with a 'cone of silence' or was it a comedy skit. Brain can't remember the details.

Cracking jokes!!!Your hilarious!!! The weird thing...and i have no idea if this is coincidence...When we have rain and rain clouds....we get prefect signals....maybe its bouncing off the clouds(radar..)>>>>(((I live in Seattle Washington and it rains all the time here)))<<<<

Your cone of silence sags low from all that rain. Low enough to hear the radio again.
    So any number around 80Dbm is good or great and any number above 100dbm is bad?

So I am looking for 80DbM and lower?

Yes. 70's would be very good. Seeing 60's might be rare.

90's might be useless for VoIP. & 100's
    All these numbers and reasons for poor service doesn't help me much when I am trying to run my business dependent on phone calls. What is different between Freedompop's service and Sprint's service? My neighbor has Sprint and he has no problems with his phone. If Freedompop is using Sprint's network, then why can't the service be the same?
    Your neighbor is using CDMA for voice. FP uses data ( 3G/4G ) for voice.
    In my evaluations data radios seem to vary ( high to low ) more than CDMA. That's just walking around the neighborhood.
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Morgan said:

All these numbers and reasons for poor service doesn't help me much when I am trying to run my business dependent on phone calls. What is different between Freedompop's service and Sprint's service? My neighbor has Sprint and he has no problems with his phone. If Freedompop is using Sprint's network, then why can't the service be the same?

FP uses VoIP with SIP Protocol for it service, this allows FP to give you low cost phone service. It is low cost for FP and it low cost for FP customer.

Sprint use difference network for it phones call, FP use software on phone to make the call. two different networks.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
    @Brian McPherson said:FP uses VoIP with SIP Protocol for it service, this allows FP to give you low cost phone service. It is low cost for FP and it low cost for FP customer. So does this mean that the voice quality and the delay on my phone will never improve?
    @Rich Sias So does that mean I have to walk around the neighborhood in order to get the strongest signal to make phone calls? Is there any solution for not receiving phone calls>the calls go directly to voicemail. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    I have been doing VoIP at home. Every room has an extension. The server works like an office phone. Like dial 9 for outside line, etc. there are many many tweets to minimize echo & delay. They can also apply to cell data lines too. Walking around neighborhood is only great for testing and evaluation. In my home LTE is ZERO, not weak. Spring claims max strength all over my lot and beyond for over 10 miles. My 7 block street ? ZERO all the way. At least 3G works medium for me. At home, I used the wired VoIP most all the time, so even if 3G was marginal, it wouldn't be such a kick in the backside.
    Thanks to @njfulwider5‌ 's tips, I have made it perform a bit better.

If I were to use FP to replace previous phone at home, I would keep both for few months to prove FP is good enough to replace it. Free doesn't always trump a $50 service.
    @Rich Sias OK, so I have to accept the service that I have. Do you know anything about the calls that do not ring but go directly to my voicemail? No one seems to have addressed this problem yet. Thanks for your help!
    @Janet Hotson

The only time I have had it go straight to voice mail...when I hit a dead spot, and my phone looses connection...If it happens while you sitting there...make sure you logged into you Google account-by visiting the play store...also dbl check that your background data sync is enable for Google..

Now if those are not the issue...might take a little more troubleshooting to figure that out...Did the recent update from freedompop help out?

@Janet Hotson‌ when you turn on your phone, it gets an IP address as it gets networking going. Then it registers it's ip with FP servers that your phone is active. If radio signal weakens too much at a time when servers are trying to initiate a call or text, it will try x times if all cannot get response it sends call to VM. Saves texts for later.

That's a possible answer. None of us want to hear that, cause not much to do but move to stronger area. Bah!
    I'm still looking into why LTE hangs on as it weakens so far before releasing back to 3G. I suspect that transition isn't controlled by FP but by Sprint. I'm hoping that I/we discover other changes that can reduce this effect that weak signals have on us.
    @Rich, does that optimizer sprint thingy work when transitioning? I always wondered that? This is the first time I had ever had to deal with it?

I hit my dead spots walking to the get a drink of water....Dang house!!!!

• Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    I come to understand that freedompop use UDP to send out the IP Rich talk about and it does not resend the packet. If the packet is lost, it lost.

If the IP is sent by TCP, it resend the packet until it is successful. I found out by one my app I use to test voip app, it send by way of UDP.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".