**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Battery does not charge properly

Tae K SungTae K Sung Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
We just received galaxy s3 after a month of wait. Two battery related problems:

1. It came charged about 80%. It drained after about half a day of use. Only a few test calls of a few minutes and bit of web surfing after configuring it.

2. We plugged it in over night. The light on the charger and the phone were both on and the phone said "charging". When we checked in the morning the battery was drained. We plugged in again and checked periodically. It charged about half way and then drained again.

Anybody know what's going on? Should I return the phone and ask for a replacement?

Comments

• Tae K SungTae K Sung Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Ok I tried again and it appears that the connector is faulty It sometimes does not charge when plugged in.I unplugged and replugged, and it charged again. I need a new charger.

I managed to charge to 100% and it again drained fast. I left it again unplugged and it dropped to 80% in 2 hour all by itself. Then I started using it and it is now down to 19% at 1pm. No phone calls, just web browsing off and on. Looks like I need a new battery too.

FreedomPop, can you address these problems for me?
    Thanks.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tae K Sung
    Android devices are know to be horrible at battery life. On average a 3400mah battery, I get 8 hours of surfing...I think the stock battery in S3's are 2100mah. I had to buy a bigger battery to get better battery life, I started with a 1500mah, and it lasted 4 hours....(different android phone)

There are settings you can use to delay the battery drain. There are allot of tips and tricks all over the net. But it usually requires you to deactivate all the fun functions...

If I had to guess, straight surfing on a s3, you might get lucky and get 3 hours..with all setting at default. It also depends on what your surfing? Video's steaming music or just basic web browsing.

Even with the phone in hibernate, you looking at around 8 hours in standby.

You might search the forum here on the S3 and battery life...

The defective battery will have to be a admin or service issue. Was there a warranty on your phone? Did you buy from freedompop? Sounds like you also having a charging issue, if i read the post correct.

let me know and I try and help as much as I can..
    Thanks

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

Yep, I just got it from FreedomPop, and the battery time is far, far worse than my 1.5 year old Nexus 4. That can't be normal... No, I don't do music or video on my phone. enabling the battery savings mode doesn't seem to make difference. Email to FreedomPop and no reply, urgh.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Tae K Sung

I hear you on the older phones...I have an older phone, that will last 10-14 days on the battery, before I have to charge.

Old phones compared to androids are night and day. The phones that we are talking about--its like a tiny computer, running a ton of apps. Each app is a resource hog and take battery life.

I promise you android phones are very very hard on batteries...Just do a simple google search.....Throw Samsung Galaxy s3 and battery life.....You'll find 1000's of post, where people have the same issue. You'll find a ton of pointers.

You can talk to a admin to verify...You could have a bad battery and your using an android--That is the worst of both worlds...here are there names..

@KathyFP‌ @JasmineS‌ @ "Jorge M @‌FreedomPop‌ @K_Ber‌@Taylor‌
    @Darla_A‌ @Vanessa‌ @EdwinFreedomPop‌ @GeorgeD‌ @lolabee

or customer service call the 1 (888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm PDT

I went ahead and threw the @sign in there for you to reach an admin

Hope you figure it out...

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

Njfulwider5, thanks for the info. Nexus 4 is a 4.6in android, same size as s3. It's not old, it's a newer model than s3. There is just no excuse for a newly received phone, reburb or not, to have much worse battery time than the one with 1.5 year old battery.
  • Patrick VickPatrick Vick Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    I just got 34 hours of use out of a 4300mha extended battery, and it said I had over an hour left at 5%. For $20 on eBay I got two extra extended batteries and an external charger, so now the phone never has to be tethered to the ac adapter at all. I just pop in a charged battery when I need to. It's actually very cool.
    @Patrick Vick

I use 3400mah battery in my htc evo 4gs...11$ kit from ebay....Battery will last around 2 day, with little surfing and calling...no swapping

Here is the denuement just for other people's benefit. Besides the battery time problem, it appeared that the charging port on the device is loose or broken. I inquired at the local shop just to figure out what the problem might be, and they say that the whole motherboard needs to be replaced in case of S3. So, I sent it back to FreedomPop.