**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Firmware updated now unit keeps rebooting

On October 6th my Mifi 500 hotspot received a firmware update which it applied successfully. After rebooting from the update the hotspot is now very unstable, typically rebooting after between 1 and 2 minutes of being turned on. Other times it will get into a continuous reboot cycle. I performed a hard-reset (using a pin in the hole on the back of the unit) but this didn't fix the issue, it continues to reboot.

The unit is now at software version: 2.1 (L1.83.4.8 M9x15SPE-45.05 1 [2014-07-02 11:44:48])

Has anybody else experienced this? Do you know how to fix it? Has anybody else received the update and their Mifi unit works correctly with it?

Answers

• Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Sound like there a bug in that software update, the only answer is if you some how reinstall the old firmware. If you do not have that backup or find the old version of that software on the internet. You may too to wait for a fix. In any case contact admin with this problem to see if they have a fix. Some time the update software did not complete and become corrupt, in this case if you can uninstall the firmware and reinstall it, it just might fix itself.
    Email: [email protected]
    i[email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 #3
    @Oliver Bambrough‌ Have you tried to update the profile/PRL after the firmware update?
    Looks like it might be on the Software Update page?

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Oliver BambroughOliver Bambrough Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    @Brian McPherson‌ I agree, I believe this issue is software and not hardware related - meaning that either the update was corrupted (though it indicates it applied successfully and the unit does allow me to access the internet through it briefly before it reboots) or the update is buggy or it is incompatible with how Freedompop uses the Sprint network thus causing a exception that makes it reboot.)

I was hoping another Freedompop Mifi 500 LTE user might have received the update and could confirm that it works - that would indicate that the update isn't buggy and that it is compatible with Freedompop's use of the Sprint network.

I managed to get through to the Freedompop technical support phone line - the support person was very nice but I don't feel they really helped. As a first step they said they'd send me a new battery, thinking that the update may have damaged it. I'm not an expert on hardware so maybe it's possible that is the issue but I suspect it isn't )my battery is reported as having a lot of 2/3 charge) and the unit reboots even when I have it plugged into a wall socket.

To contact an admin do I just write a message to "Admin Admin"?

I do not have the original firmware and I don't know how to even install it if I had it as the new firmware update arrived OTA and it installed itself automatically (it asked if I wanted it installed, I selected No, it then informed me it would be installed when I next shut the unit down - so I didn't get a choice, it just installed the update.)
    @njfulwider5‌ The PRL was already updated and that hadn't fixed the issue.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 #6
    @Oliver Bambrough

You have to update the PRL and profile after a major update like this...Try it one more time...I wouldn't steer you wrong and it wont hurt anything. You should do a profile/PRL update after a firmeware update. If you are having issues like this..or---there can be a whole mess of reason you need to do it again...Should start with profile first, and make sure you at a place you get a very good signal.

Here are the admins, you place a @sign in front of there names to call

@KathyFP‌ @JasmineS‌ @ "Jorge M @‌FreedomPop‌ @K_Ber‌@Taylor‌
    @Darla_A‌ @Vanessa‌ @EdwinFreedomPop‌ @GeorgeD‌ @lolabee

I went ahead and did it for you.
    Hope this helps

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

@Oliver Bambrough

Have you tried a hard reset? Taking the battery out and all that good stuff? I was reading the manual, and it has the how to inside. I am curious if you might have tried this? Also make sure the sim is seated properly?

Please keep us informed on your progress

@njfulwider5‌ I did try a hard reset (I did mention that in my original post) but that didn't help. I have taken the battery out (I need to as sometimes it gets into a continuous reboot cycle and I'm unable to shut the unit down without physically removing the battery.) I'll make sure the SIM is in correctly but the unit was working well prior to the update and I didn't drop or shake the unit during or after the update.

I did manually go into the unit's web-interface and update the PRL list, it didn't help. I'll try again in a place with better reception to see if that makes a difference.

After writing my last comment to you earlier today I thought the problem had gone away as the unit stayed on for almost 30 minutes before it rebooted (then it got into a reboot cycle which required I remove the battery.) I know the precise length of time it was up as the system log records whenever it restarts. Unfortunately the system log doesn't help me identify why it reboots (at least to my untrained eye it isn't helpful.)

Thank you for the list of admin names, I'll message them after I try updating the PRL again from a location with a better signal.
    @Oliver Bambrough

Make sure you do Profile first than PRL.....Does it get hot?If it was a computer, I'd think it was getting hot, or was not getting enough power?

let me know how it goes

• HilineHiline Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    @Oliver Bambrough FYI mine has taken the update and seems to work MOST of the time. Sometimes when powering up it goes to 3G (I have no 3G service) then gets a sim card error. Most of the time a power off, power back on will fix it. To the best of my knowledge it has never booted/rebooted by it's self. Like you I didn't think much of the way the update was handled. I was in a very weak signal area when it wanted to update. Like you I said no. I wanted to wait until I had a strong signal. When I turned it off, it started the update. Took over 20 minuets to complete. Guess I was lucky. Just wanted to let you know, there was at least one other person out there that's received the update.
    @Hiline‌ Thanks for letting me know that it worked for you. That at least indicates that the update isn't profoundly broken and that it should work with Freedompop's systems. I guess that does leave either a hardware issue or a corrupted update.

Just the fact that it does turn on and once stayed on for 30 minutes has me very confused. I will try to update my profile and PRL list from an area with good signal quality today (I have an LTE connection at work and at home except its the very lowest signal strength.)

As I wrote in an earlier comment that Freedompop was sending me another battery - maybe that does have some merit.
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 #12

@Oliver Bambrough

Have you tried a hard reset? Taking the battery out and all that good stuff? I was reading the manual, and it has the how to inside. I am curious if you might have tried this? Also make sure the sim is seated properly?

Please keep us informed on your progress

Hotspots do not have or use sim card, this is data only device. Sim cards are for talk and text on phones and tablets. Just let you know.
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
    edited October 2014 #13
    @Brian McPherson

Thanks for you adding info...But when you get a chance, please read the sprint Mifi 500 Tutorial(how to replace the sim card.....)

When reading the manual on trouble shooting...reseating the sim card(possible fix for issues above...)

http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Install_or_replace_the_SIM_card_MiFireg_500_LTE_by_Novatel_Wirelesstrade/48945-133

But thanks for pointing something out for me again....

You did do your homework, I base my answer because I have MiFi 4082
    [email protected]

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Brian McPherson‌ I had the 4082 for a while... then my friend took it ;)

I thought it was not a good device but others may disagree.

Remember this - All LTE devices have a SIM card. Whether or not they are a phone, hotspot, or a tablet, or even the future LTE USB sticks FP will add, they all need a SIM. That is simple, right? :)
    Thanks for the infor @Ali.
    [email protected]

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Brian McPherson‌ Sure thing
  • ktbktb Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi Oliver,

You're not alone. I have been having similar rebooting problems with my Novatel Wireless MIFI5580 ever since the latest software update (09/21/2014 1:36:34 PM | 9x15SPE-45.05-1.83.4.8 | Success) was installed 9/21/2014. I've pin-reset the device a few times and updated the Profile and PRL as well. Sometimes I've been able to use the device for 20-30 minutes before it reboots and sometimes it will reboot continuously. I live in an area with decent 3G, 4G and Spark coverage.

It exhibited some interesting behavior today that was new to me. The display turned off and would not turn back on. The device was still on and apparently working OK as I was connected to it with my Moto X at the time and didn't lose my connection, the status-LED was still blinking as usual, and yet I couldn't get the display to turn on again until I forced the power off and on again.

The device is sitting next to me right now and rebooting on its own for the fourth time in the past 10 minutes. I have barely used the device since purchasing it in new condition late last year, it mostly stays at home.

I don't think there are any remedies left that we can try on our own without an MSL (and I doubt that would help anyway). I don't think the problem is battery related either. Unfortunately, it looks like this device is mostly broken until Sprint releases another software update for it (if ever). :-(
  • frenchfry2frenchfry2 Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Mine seems to upgraded like it should have. It did stay in 3G mode for a short period before moving on to 4G. For those of you have trouble that do not have the 3G fallback might want to sign up for it for 1 month just to see if not having 3G is not letting the modem go thought all of the steps of upgrading.
    I called FreedomPop support back today since they haven't gotten back to me. I waited over 20 minutes to speak with a representative again. I explained my situation again. It was as though the support system had no record of the troubleshooting steps already performed.

They emailed me instructions for "MASTER RESET" which is the same pin-reset process I have performed several times now on my own. I explained to the representative that I have already performed these troubleshooting steps and they apologized said they would send other instructions. So, another email arrived, this time with instructions for updating the Profile and PRL. I had to explain again that I have been through these troubleshooting steps as well several times. At that point the representative said there wasn't anything else he could do.

So, just for giggles I pin-reset the device again and then updated the Profile and PRL successfully. The MIFI5580 is still rebooting frequently on its own. I suppose I'll wait a week for a FreedomPop representative to get back to me with a real solution. If they can't help, I'll just cancel. Does anybody want my MIFI5580? Are we allowed to give away our data to other users? I have over 4.5 GB of rollover data that will just go to waste when I stop using the service.
    @ktb‌
    Sorry to hear about this mix up with all issues related to your device.

@KathyFP‌ @JasmineS‌ @ "Jorge M @‌FreedomPop‌ @K_Ber‌@Taylor‌
    @Darla_A‌ @Vanessa‌ @EdwinFreedomPop‌ @GeorgeD‌ @lolabee

anything we can do to expedite KTB's help?

@ktb Thanks for letting me know that you're having an issue too, @Hiline‌
    @ktb‌ Thanks for letting me know that you're experiencing problems too with the update, I know @Hiline wrote back earlier saying his unit was working after the update - somewhat comforting to know I'm not the only one so it must be a real issue. I just received the battery today that Freedompop sent out and unfortunately it did not help - the unit immediately started to reboot with the new battery installed.

I know you're just joking but I would take your MIFI 5580 if you're giving it away, I'm still hopeful that the issue will be resolved :)

It took a little over a week for the replacement battery to arrive, in the mean time I contacted Novatel support (the makers of the MIFI unit) hoping they might be able to provide me with some troubleshooting tips (e.g. how to reinstall the OTA update or revert it back to the previous firmware) but all I got was a level 1 support person that just said I could return the unit to them and they'd sent me out a replacement (no attempt at troubleshooting even though I asked, she said it was just easier to replace the unit) - I now have an RMA number from them. I haven't return the unit to them yet for a replacement as I wanted to first test the replacement battery (which I just said didn't help) and next I'll call Freedompop support to verify that I should RMA the unit with Novatel or if I must go through their customer support for this.

Deep down I feel that even if I get the replacement and once I get that to work (I'm sure it's going to be a pain to get it associated with my account and working) that it'll immediately get the OTA update and then the problem will manifest itself again.

I wish I could find a webpage anywhere from either Sprint, Freedompop or Novatel that clearly states there's a known issue with the firmware update for certain models, or for certain hardware revisions of a model. Right now it doesn't seem to be recognized as an issue and so I assume they're not trying to fix it.

@ktb also sorry for the late reply, I didn't receive a notification from the forum saying there was an update to this thread until @njfulwider5 's last comment.

Oliver,

I'm not joking at all. I will give away my MIFI5580 to someone for free. I will also give away my rollover data if that is possible (if FreedomPop will allow it). I've treated the hotspot device very well since I received it last December. It should be in just about perfect condition (without the software problem). However, I don't really wish the trouble I've experienced upon anybody else. It isn't worth anybody's time.

I don't believe anybody at FreedomPop is capable of fixing my problem. It's nice to hear that you were able to contact Novatel Wireless and that they seem willing to help replace your unit. I hope that the replacement works out for you -- good luck! I've been wondering who actually builds and releases the software updates for this device. Novatel Wireless? I actually contacted Sprint to see if they could tell me anything about issues with the new software update. As I expected, Sprint wasn't really willing/able to help since I'm not a customer.

I'm feeling like the chances are high that there is nothing wrong with the hardware in my device and the software update alone has caused it to begin malfunctioning with uncontrollable reboots. I share your fear that another replacement device will have the same problem once it's running the same software. If this is the case, then nothing will improve our situation until a new software update is developed, properly tested and released by Novatel Wireless, Sprint or FreedomPop (whoever is responsible for that). That will likely take a long time if it ever happens. Like cell/smartphones, manufacturers and providers really have no intention of supporting products like these beyond a year or two.

I doubt that FreedomPop actually has its own device-software development team. With FreedomPop, if a device or service doesn't just simply work, it's probably not worth the time for FreedomPop or the customer. They don't have the skills or resources to do any real technical support. I don't think I can really blame them too much.

I find it slightly humorous that one of my long comments from yesterday in this thread was never approved/published. Somebody in charge must not have liked something I wrote for some reason or another.

Again, good luck on the exchange with Novatel Wireless. I really do hope it works out for you. I'll try to come back to this thread to see if your situation has improved with the replacement device. I'm going to try an alternative free/cheap hotspot service provider (still Sprint network) and just buy a new hotspot device.

Thanks,
    Kyle
  • J53072J53072 Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    Just throwing in my 2 cents that I am also having the same issue :( There's someone having the same problem on Sprint's community forums, also, so it isn't just something with FreedomPop.
  • J53072J53072 Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    I sent a message to Novatel wireless tech support with a link to this and the link on Sprint's community forums in hopes they realize there is a firmware problem.

Now the scary thing will be updating the firmware when it is finally available. Would be bad to have the device reboot while the firmware is updating! :(