FreedomPop's Android Messaging Phone/SIM Update (24.00.1388.0302) (Updated 03/02/2019)

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank You Freedompop Dev Team

Support landscape mode on text screen

This was a big deal with the Photon Q you guys offered...Now we can use the QWERTY keyboard when texting----Thank You---My Daughter will be very happy to know!!! :)

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Jeffrey JayJeffrey Jay Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie

• Theodore ValleyTheodore Valley Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    Regarding FP Messaging Update 16.01.153.0418. I'm using Evo 4G. What the heck did FP do to make voices so static free? Also all my calls on 3G are batting 100% since downloading this app. Finally, from my responses from the other end of the line it sounds like the delay has been whacked in half!! What did FP learn that they did not know previous to this app? Just amazing for me and my little Evo.

Now I'm wondering if I should upgrade to the Samsung SIII at that great price! Anyone have experience with how this new app works with the SIII? Also, does this app seem to not drain batteries so fast?

Thanks
  • Jeffrey JayJeffrey Jay Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    @Theodore Valley
    So far on my S3, I did miss one incoming call on cell tower, 4Glte, with 4 bars signal strength, trading numbers with a friend standing next to me with no missed call indicator. I called him and it then worked. Also, I got 1 text message which was actually 4 or 5 messages, it showed only the end message and then the app crashed. When the app restarted it then showed all of the missed messages. But other than that, I have received calls fine on wifi, make calls on both cell and wifi, great clarity on my end, no one has complained about echo on their end.
    I do get weird phone calls that show the number as 100, or 200, or 200-1000, or 1014 with nobody there. This occurs on wifi sporadically with this and the last update to the messaging app. I do have a BYOD S3, maybe it is different on FP branded phones.
  • Indy YangIndy Yang Posts: 18FreedomPop Newbie
    phonton Q said:

Same here. Echoes on the other end.

@phonton Q, could you try call with grandstream wave? I used that and no echos on the other end. Not sure it was because of the network status or bug in Linphone. Google shows Linphone had a problem with echos on the other end. Not sure they finally fixed it or not.
  • RayDRayD Posts: 36FreedomPop Newbie
    @Theodore Valley Wow, my EVO Design is not handling this update so well. As I stated in a previous post, when using the 16.01.153.0418 update, when I place a call and I take it away from my ear to end the call, I am not presented with the "Call in Progress" screen. Instead, it reverts back to the phones dialer screen. To end a call, I have to use the pull down menu, touch the "Call in Progress" section, to be presented with the big red "end call" area. Does your EVO have the same behavior?

My calls seem to be less successful since the introduction of the LinPhone software. On my EVO Design, I get garbled voices, people are not able to hear me when I call them, no recognition or sending of DTMF tones, etc. You must be sitting right next to a 3g tower to get that kind of voice quality from Freedompop! ;-)
  • Jason  LiJason Li Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I am using an LG Viper 4G LTE phone. Good call quality, BUT I'm having the same problems as when I was using the previous version (16.01.101.0327 ). With the new version (16.01.153.0418 ), I have the same 2 problems.

PROBLEM 1: I still CANNOT receive calls over wifi.

PROBLEM 2: Once I am in a call, the screen blacks out except for the top notification bar. When I try pulling it down and bringing it back to the call screen by pressing the "Call in Progress," the screen blacks out again. I CANNOT end the call at all unless if I change the function of the power button to end calls.

I may return the phone soon since I'll need a working phone over the summer.
  • Adrian EchavarriaAdrian Echavarria Posts: 20FreedomPop Newbie
    I don't know if it's the new app or something, but calls lasting over a couple minutes use up data and the system doesn't credit the data back. Had a 30minute call on one of my phones, was subtracted 26mb (shows up in 15min intervals of data use). Not a big deal but just something that's happening. Short calls of about a minute get data credited but longer calls receive no data credit.
  • Theodore ValleyTheodore Valley Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    RayD,

No. I do not have problems similar to yours. As for cell tower distance, who knows? I'm all over town when I place my calls.
  • RayDRayD Posts: 36FreedomPop Newbie
    I just got the 16.01.181.0502 update. I am not getting a tone on any text messages. The Messaging app can be active or inactive and I still don't get a tone only a vibration. I have checked all of the settings (sounds, notifications, etc) in both the app itself and the android settings and still cannot get a tone. Even with the problems I had on the previous version, I still heard the notification tone on the first message received. Of course...none after that but that's another gripe...

Any ideas or workarounds?
  • James LummelJames Lummel Posts: 63FreedomPop Newbie
    edited May 2015 #187
    UPDATE- Solved! See next message below, this problem was cause by the tempered glass screen protector covering the proximity sensor.

On my Samsung S3 the 16.01.181.0502 update does NOT show the interface on either incoming or outgoing calls until the call drops. So if I have an incoming call I hear the ringtone, the status bar at the top comes on but the rest of the screen is blank so I cannot press the answer button on the screen to take the call.

Once the rings reach their limit and the call is dropped, the Messaging app's incoming call interface flashes on screen briefly before it goes away as the call is disconnected. During this whole time the status icons at the top are plainly visible (battery, bars, etc).

On an outgoing call, the Messaging app in-call interface flashes briefly and then the screen goes blank except for the status icons at the top of the screen. Since I can't see the button to hang up the call I usually have to shut the phone off to disconnect.

I did notice that if I have the phone in landscape mode, there are rare times that the display works properly and I get the in-call Messaging interface rather than a blank screen. This happens maybe 1 in 20 times though.

This problem seems to have happened since the app was updated to handle landscape mode for texting. The UI change seems to have unintended consequences for some of us. Earlier Linpop2 releases seemed to work just fine, I've only noticed this problem in the last couple of releases.

If I uninstall the 16.01.181.0502 update and use the Messaging app that came stock with the phone there are no issues, I make or receive a call and the in-call interface shows up as it's supposed to. This app is so old that I still have to enter my email address when you first run it!!

I have the .apk for a later version of the messaging app than the stock one on the phone (v15..07.227.0128, pre-Linpop2) and it also works properly on this phone and I get the in-call screens fine when it's installed.

I can provide video demonstrating the problem if needed.
    Post edited by James Lummel on
    On today's episode of "History in a Nutshell":

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....
    Quick update!

Solved the issue I was having with the 16.01.181.0502 update where the screen blanks out when making or receiving calls.

Turned out it was NOT a problem with the app, but a problem with a tempered glass screen protector I put on it last Friday! The glass covered the proximity sensor and the Messaging app was only blanking the screen because it thought I had put the phone to my ear! The newer Linop2 app seems to be more sensitive to the proximity sensor than the older Messaging apps, which is why the problem wasn't as prevalent with them.

Using the S3's diagnostic screen (dial *#0*# to get the screen and then choose sensors) I was able to determine that the proximity sensor was indeed compromised and removing the screen protector restored proper operation both in testing and in the Messaging app (yaaa, I can answer my calls now!).

So, other than that issue that wasn't an problem with the app, the 16.01.181.0502 update is working great on my Samsung S3 now that I removed the problematic screen protector.

Now I need to find a screen protector that DOESN'T cover the proximity sensor.

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....
  • Thomas  BagrovichThomas Bagrovich Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    from harrisburg pA using comcast wifi with 0418 installed groove ip calls sound much better. While on cell data a few weeks ago somehow used around 500mb
    data in 45 min using yahoo mail. Was going thru msgs looking for a phone number. so now will have to pay .02 cents per meg. mobile data uses more
    "Data" than laptop on wifi...go figure. the pay as you go is in effect on the free
    plan when you exceed 500mb. so now I will be billed around 10-12 bucks for the overage.
  • John WardJohn Ward Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    I'd really like a way to adjust mic gain, my wife and I both have S3's and when making calls the other end can barely hear us at all. Seems the gain is on a per app basis with android, atleast as far as I can tell from searching the web. any one else having this issue? or found a fix out there somewhere for it.

Thanks!
    John Ward said:

I'd really like a way to adjust mic gain, my wife and I both have S3's and when making calls the other end can barely hear us at all. Seems the gain is on a per app basis with android, atleast as far as I can tell from searching the web. any one else having this issue? or found a fix out there somewhere for it.

Thanks!

Have you tried calling each other S3 to S3 (from different rooms so you can't hear each other)? If not, try it and see how it sounds. Also try recording with the S3's Voice Recorder app and see how that plays back.

If both these things work fine, the problem may be on the other end.

If not, try uninstalling the Messaging app, restart the phone and then using the default Messaging app that came with the phone see if there are issues. If not, then upgrade the app and restart the phone and call each other again and see if that fixed it.

• Lawrence ReissLawrence Reiss Posts: 21FreedomPop Newbie

John Ward said:

Thanks!

Have you tried calling each other S3 to S3 (from different rooms so you can't hear each other)? If not, try it and see how it sounds. Also try recording with the S3's Voice Recorder app and see how that plays back.

If both these things work fine, the problem may be on the other end.

If not, try uninstalling the Messaging app, restart the phone and then using the default Messaging app that came with the phone see if there are issues. If not, then upgrade the app and restart the phone and call each other again and see if that fixed it.
    I am also having mic volume problems on BYOD Galaxy S3. The previous messaging app (csipsimple) had gain adjustments for both the mic and for received volume. The current one lacks those features.

Also, every text message is now being duplicated / received twice.

Also, when composing a text, turning the phone to landscape causes the app to lose whatever was already typed.
  • Adrian EchavarriaAdrian Echavarria Posts: 20FreedomPop Newbie
    Been noticing more completely missed calls lately. Phone just won't ring sometimes while other times it'll take 4+ rings on the other end before it starts to ring on mine. Before these last couple updates it never took longer than 2. Also had odd sound issue where trying to change ring or media volumes doesn't work until I reboot the phone, though unsure how long it takes for that to start happening (after a couple calls/days maybe). This has happened on my galaxy s3 and evo 4g. The app also takes a long time to get into when opening it.

I've reverted to an old backup of the messaging app I had for now.
  • Darren BoekwegDarren Boekweg Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Okay I am having the dreaded proximity problem on my phone. I know it has to do with the app. After I make a call the proximity sensor stays on and super alert. If I put my finger near it turns the screen off. If I force stop the messenger app it solves it. I am using the Samsung S3... I just reverted to an older app... and it is solved also.
  • Darren BoekwegDarren Boekweg Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Not a screen cover problem also as per my screen cover does not cover the sensor or go anywhere near it.
  • thewampthewamp Posts: 77FreedomPop Newbie
    @njfulwider5
    Relative to your June 4, 2015 edit to post,

"Version 16.02.254.0604
    - Added Premium Voice status to the sliding menu"

Please explain what the sliding menu is and how to use it on a Samsung Galaxy Victory.
  • tzuwen weitzuwen wei Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    i am not able to make phone call with my ZTE phone after the upgrade ... i was able to make call using messaging app before ... but now that option is not available after upgrade ... and every time i try to make call using phone app ... i receive an voice message saying the number i try to dial is incorrect ... pls help
  • Mike (GS-3, 30th) GrossMike (GS-3, 30th) Gross Posts: 143FreedomPop Newbie
    @thewamp The sliding menu he is referring to is when you access the messaging app settings, from, tape messaging app, in the upper left hand corner tap the messaging app icon, and there it is

@tzuwen wei try launching the messaging app then tap the phone icon in upper right hand corner, then make the call. I too have a ZTE force phone and it has been running quite well the last 2 months, the 1st month was a pain, was ready to send back, even got the RMA, but changed my mind for no reason, other than I hate not making something work
  • Carol CapleCarol Caple Posts: 28FreedomPop Newbie
    @njfulwider5 Please start a new trouble ticket for support. I have my THIRD ZTE Force phone and the new one came with Jellybean. It will not register via the messaging app. Play store has an error downloading the newest version of the app. It has been three phones, three months and still I don't have a working ZTE and I still cannot connect to the Hub Burst via wifi with the ZTE. A week has passed with emails from freedompop which do not suggest anything that solves the problem, WTF update the app when I don't have a connection? WTF send me a third phone that has an inoperable app installed to allow registration or push notifications? Get it together FP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,387 admin
    Hello @Carol Caple sorry to hear about the reoccurring issues, I will be glad to have a forum agent further assist you and take a look into your account to make sure everything is in good standing on our end :) Please check the email associated with your forum profile as an agent will contact you. Replying to the email from support can be done as you would a regular email (no need to log-in into Zendesk). :+1:
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    thewamp said:

@njfulwider5
    Relative to your June 4, 2015 edit to post,

"Version 16.02.254.0604
    - Added Premium Voice status to the sliding menu"

Please explain what the sliding menu is and how to use it on a Samsung Galaxy Victory.

@thewamp /
    When you open the messaging app-->>Top left side of the app you'll see three horizontal bars....Press the bars and a pop out from the side will show you all the info suggested.

For people that have the Premium voice the pox will say(Premium Voice Active) for the members who haven't tried it or activate it, it will say(Premium Voice Try it)

Freedompop call this pop out the sliding menu....

Good afternoon members,
    I have had an exciting past few months---Let me tell you!!!!

I am back, but only off and on. I'll try my hardest to check PMs and Threads with shouts outs, every chance i get.

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

This discussion has been closed.