**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

FreedomPop 101: BYOD Tips

Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,376 admin
edited October 2014 in FreedomPop 101 #1
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Before Purchasing iPhone from a third party, please make sure to check if the phone has not been reported stolen or is locked by clicking HERE.
  • Please make sure all phones being considered for BYOD have a clean ESN and is also a verified Sprint phone. You may do so by clicking HERE.
  • Please advice that the following phones will need a compatible SIM card in order to work on our service. The information provided below is the part number associated with the compatible SIM card.
    1. Samsung Galaxy S4: SIMGLW206R
    2. iPhone 5: CZ2104LWR or SIMGLW406R
    3. iPad: SIMGLW406R
    4. Tab 3: SIMGLT207R
  • Always make sure the coverage in your area reflects the device's capabilities (ex. WiMax 4G, 3G, 4G LTE.) You may verify your coverage by clicking HERE
  • *Suggestions are always encouraged! Please comment below with other tips or suggestions so we can be sure to help out as much as possible!
Tagged:

Comments

• Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭

Before Purchasing iPhone from a third party, please make sure to check if the phone has not been reported stolen or is locked by clicking HERE.
    Please make sure all phones being considered for BYOD have a clean ESN and is also a verified Sprint phone. You may do so by clicking HERE.
    I can't stress this enough! If the seller cannot give you the ESN to check, DONT BUY IT! Make sure that it will activate on FreedomPop!
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 #4

Great Post!!!!!

Is it possible for somebody to explain how to enter the sims ICCID when you activate? I see allot of confusion when activating BYOD. I have not had the pleasure of doing so..

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Adolfo Galvan‌ When buying from swappa remember the ESN is not listed for security reasons. They check the ESNs themselves to make sure it is working although I have been scammed once in the boneyard when they do not check anything.

Same goes for big name sellers with great feedback, they don't list their ESNs but you can get it from a private message. Regardless if you get an ESN and it comes up for another carrier or it is bad then clearly the seller is a ****. That is why I like to buy new but I really won't have the money for that until january ;)

@njfulwider5‌ The ICCID is written on the SIM itself or on the card you get for activation. It has its own barcode too so if FP wanted to utilize that at a kiosk then it could to make things faster.
    Folks, if you have terrible reception but you are an ultimate FreedomPop Fanboy with at least 4 devices in your house then I would consider looking at an airave. It is free to keep one active on Ting.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ali‌
    Thanks you for the where...But I am looking more for a How to. How does it ask, and when it ask....does it pop up next to the meid/esn? is there another page dedicated to just the ICCID. I see allot of other members that are confused when it comes to this...I can find mine by looking in my (about) in general settings...Maybe you can explain it--how it works-what are we looking for? As we progress in the world of BYOD, this is going to be a common question.
    Thanks ali

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

@njfulwider5‌ Once you enter your IMEI if you have a capable device underneath it will have a box saying Enter your ICCID.
    That simple? That's its?That's all? Awesome!!!!!
    Thanks Ali!!!

@njfulwider5‌ If you do not have a SIM card and you have an android you can activate without a sim for 3G only service.

I wish Sprint worked on its WiMAX more. Then we would have better coverage and we would also get to keep our wimax devices active for when we will need them. And we would have more phones supporting this and most importantly we wouldn't need a SIM card.
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, if you have a device that had a SIM card that went bad and you replace it. You would have to contact support or admin on this forum to give the ICCID number to them to enter into their database. Ask them to update your device with that new ICCID number.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • Benjamin ByersBenjamin Byers Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    So I'm looking to swap my existing HTC crap device I purchased initially from Freedompop. If I'm reading the post right, (and I'm going to ask a question here), can I activate a clean ESN Samsung Galaxy Nexus LTE (SPH-L700)?
    @Ali‌
    we should start a campaign to keep the wimax on(for us poor Boys) :((
    @Benjamin Byers
    Yes

@njfulwider5‌ @Benjamin Byers‌ The Galaxy Nexus LTE is not supported at this time.
    @Benjamin Byers‌ my bad.....I thought i seen it on the list..

People actually thought some company or FP would buy the WiMAX rights from Sprint and operate it but that isn't going to happen. Sprint wants to shut it down... mainly so they can keep Spark up which doesn't make sense since both can run together.

WiMAX will still remain on a few cell sites... like the cell tower I own (yes don't judge me I own a Sprint airave which broadcasts WiMAX and is my personal cell tower). There are also some WiMAX protection sites in a few areas that will remain on so maybe this may work out.

Also you are allowed to swap your devices you own for new LTE ones.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ali‌ , an Airave will do both3G & WiMAX ?

Receiving device is Galaxy SII ( WiMAX).
    Consider a comparison between wifi and Airave with pokey internet of 3 MBs download and 1 MB upload speeds. Is one preferred over the other ? Why ?
    Now change ISP vendor to google fiber, 1 gbps feeding either wifi or Airave. Is one clearly superior over the other? Why ?
    Yes, the technology is very different, but to the user they're just accessing internet and want the best throughput possible. Both items can hook up internet service to an S2, the bottom line is one clearly superior over the other in delivering internet based on two above example input speeds?

-----
    Wow we can exchange a Photon for an LTE hotspot without submitting extra $$$ ?
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    Ali said:

@Adolfo Galvan‌ When buying from swappa remember the ESN is not listed for security reasons. They check the ESNs themselves to make sure it is working although I have been scammed once in the boneyard when they do not check anything.

Same goes for big name sellers with great feedback, they don't list their ESNs but you can get it from a private message.

I agree to a point. A clean ESN is no guarantee that it will work on FreedomPop. I have a few Nexus Ss and a EVO Slide that will not activate on FreedomPop but will activate just fine elsewhere. It is safest to get the ESN and check before you buy or don't buy.
    @Adolfo Galvan‌ I have actually spoken to FP about this and this happens for prepaid devices. Since FP is either cheap or hasn't added some model numbers they haven't allowed activation of certain phones so it is best to check the esn on the BYOD page.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 #20
    Checking esn doesn't reveal a clue using swappa. Only the BYOD page Snaps ! For prepaid.
    Also attention FP people The BYOD page makes NO mention of prepaid phones being ok nor unacceptable !!!
    If this is supposed to be a requirement then it should be talked about on BYOD main page. Not just oh by the way... In comments by a non employee.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    edited October 2014 #21

Checking esn doesn't reveal a clue using swappa. Only the BYOD page Snaps ! For prepaid.
    Also attention FP people The BYOD page makes NO mention of prepaid phones being ok nor unacceptable !!!
    If this is supposed to be a requirement then it should be talked about on BYOD main page. Not just oh by the way... In comments by a non employee.

Sprint proper only recently did prepaid. The Nexus S was not a prepaid phone. They have used the Virgin Mobile and Boost arms for that. It is true that VM and Boost models will not be allowed. It just seems that some Sprint MEIDs will not work.
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @""Adolfo Galvan"‌
    I do not understand your reference to a Nexus S. That is not a supported model.
  • Dennis BourniqueDennis Bournique Posts: 135FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    djinks said:

@""Adolfo Galvan"‌
    I do not understand your reference to a Nexus S. That is not a supported model.

The Nexus S is definitely supported. See https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/4646/supported-phones-what-phones-can-i-activate-with-freedompop-on-byod/p1
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @""Adolfo Galvan"‌
    My mistake. I scanned the list but did not find it.
    djinks said:

@""Adolfo Galvan"‌
    My mistake. I scanned the list but did not find it.

To be more precise, I should have said Nexus S 4G. I have some that are activated as well for my kids. The ones that cannot be, are used for spare parts.
  • Bo XingBo Xing Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I have a phone already activated with Freedompop. Is there a way to change to another phone I currently have without paying an additional activation fee? Thanks!