Anyone experiencing decrease in battery life since updating messaging app?

I was getting 2-3 days of battery life with the phone just sitting on my desk. (I really do not use the phone much at all.) Ever since I updated the messaging app, my battery life has gone back to the early days of FreedomPop. I'm lucky if I get 18 hours now. Anyone else having this issue?

Best Answer

Answers

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Scott Blair
    I have 6 of these, and only 3 activated. I updated the app a few days ago with the most resent...I threw on here a ton of tips and tricks...allot of them revolve around the HTC evo 4g..

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/5346/lets-talk-about-the-new-update-version-28-15-05-36-1020-oct-20-2014-and-older-app-version-27#latest

I'll do some extra testing this weekend with them and see what I come up with. I was under the assumption that these always tore threw batteries. So I purchased the bigger 3400 mah battery. I'll do some testing and report back here after I am done..

what version did you have prior? was it the last one available or the one that came with the HTC? There has been a couple of update since these came out here on freedompop.

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Scott BlairScott Blair Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    I've always updated the app whenever I was told it needed it. So I'm sure I had the most recent version, prior to the newest one.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Scott Blair
    So with the new app we just got, your having battery issues...

I just updated, but I haven't noticed anything like this...I'll keep a close eye on it this weekend

I'll report back here

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

for example, I installed a fresh battery at 8:30am on 10/24. as of this writing, I'm down to 6% left. Using the phone very little, except to check the settings you made in your other post.
    @Scott Blair
    I am not sure what time zone you in? But if what I am reading here on my end. Under 29 min and you lost 94%--That is not Right at all!!!!If this is the case, something is seriously wrong with you phone....

Did you charge it completely before you put it in?

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,282FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 #8
    Hrrrmm, I read 10/24 8:30 am start, stop at 11:59 am eastern ?
    I get 24 + 3.5 = 27.5 hours <---- fantasticle !
    Ps today is 25.
    PDT, 24+ 0.5 = 24.5 hours <---- <b> still fantazzicle
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    edited October 2014 #9
    @Rich Sias ( LastDay: 16th )
    Good Catch......Sorry @Scott Blair
    That is excellent battery for a HTC evo 4g....Normally is 6-8hours at best...

Unless you meant 10/25.....Than there is something really wrong...

By the time my post gets posted everything is off. I put a fully charged battery in my phone at 8:30am cst on 10/24. By about 3:30am cst on the 10/25 was down to 6%. So that is about 19 hours. Which I admit is not bad, but it is back to the early days of FreedomPop. I've had my phone since March. Before the latest update, I swear I was getting 2-3 days of battery life. Again, take into account I don't use my phone for anything for more then an hour a day. Most times not even a half hour a day. I don't charge the battery in the phone. I have a 3 batteries (1 OEM, 2 anker 1700mah) that I use a wall charger to charge and just replace the battery as needed.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,282FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have three batteries too for my reg cell. I degenerated to keeping it on and charging it at same time. So much easier than powering down, change batteries, power up. Every day. Or twice if I use it.
    I've had it active since February and the battery has nearly as much as original made battery. 1680 mAh new. My battery analyzer removed 1530 mAh from China made cell. It was probably on charge for 4-5 months and yet still almost as good as original HTC battery. It's one of those smart USB chargers. They top up charge 5-10% of the day! and rest is drift down to slight discharged state where top up starts again. So it's not a constant charge applied kind of charger. Most of the USB chargers are of the smarter variety, now.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    @Scott Blair

So far I have tested one of the HTC EVO 4G's and let me tell you>>>>>I am not to happy. I have the 3400mah battery. And the loss of battery life was not good. I have not tested since I updated.....I'll have complete detail by the end of this weekend...
    Just figured I write and tell you I have not forgot about you...

@Scott Blair
    Sorry forgot, if you have any questions, or you need me to test something? @sign my name njfulwider5 and I can work on it..

Hope this helps?

Thanks for your research!!! I'm getting about 24 hours on a battery now. Again, not a heavy user at all. I guess I'll live with it till the next update comes along that might improve it again. After all I can't beat $13+/month for a smart phone compared to $40+ from any other carrier!!!
    @Scott Blair
    24 hours is Great on these phones....I just hate turning off all the eye candy..Reason I went with the 3400mah batteries..I didn't really want to shut anything off...
    Thanks for taking the time to read my research!!!

Here is an interesting thing that happened to me over the weekend. My phone became a "brick" (no inbound/outbound calls, no texting, etc.) on Friday. I did a backup and restore on Saturday and that seemed to help everything, including battery life!!!
  • csvestcsvest Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Ok I'm a newbie but I maybe found a hardware assist on the less than stellar battery life on my galaxy s3. At Fry's (www.frys.com) I found a Fuel active Portable Charger. It was $14.99. Out of the box, I got 4 hours on my s3 of charge. There were $80 ones for newer specific phones. It is standard usb both ends with a very short cord. With a a.c. plug adapter you can charge a.c. It seems like a nifty gadget for traveling without a car charger. Csvest
    @csvest‌
    For around 15$ you can purchase a higher MAH battery from ebay and cut the wires....I added the 3400mah on my androids and it has been night and day....