**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Epic 4G (Galaxy S) with RandomROM misidentified from MEID as Galaxy II - will it work anyway?

keesankeesan Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
Friend gave me a first-generation Galaxy S (Sprint Epic 4G) which, when I typed in the MEID, was wrongly identified as Galaxy IIS (Epic 4G Touch). Also the friend's son installed RandomROM (something to reduce battery usage due to unwanted running processes) - does that interfere with Freedompop? It identifies as Android 2.3.6 but perhaps the ROM was replaced.

If the phone is not usable for any reason with FreedomPop do I get my $20 acttivation fee refunded? (If not, I might go with Ringplus and and listen to their ads while I wait for used LTE phones to get cheaper).

When WiMax 4G goes away in a year will this phone still work with FreedomPop using 3G?

I read that WiMax speed with your free plan is about 1.2Mbps and 3G about 300-700K, but perhaps the reviewers had things set wrong. How fast have they been for other users reading this forum? These speeds are okay for email, just curious.

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @keesan‌

The freedompop messaging app or Freedompop free voice and text app, is just an app..

You can download the app first(make a account under a old email-just for testing)....and test the app under wifi....That is a way to test just the app...

If Ringplus can activate your phone, freedompop wouldn't have any issues activating also...I believe they both use Sprint airwaves...

There have been quite few members with Rooted phones that have no issues at all...

If activation fails, you can always call customer service or talk to a admin here for help with the account afterwards...These guys are really really easy to deal with....

To get a good number on Wimax speeds, you need to find other members that live closer to you....My Wimax speed are great!!!!!

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• keesankeesan Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    Can I test the app without first paying $20 to activate the phone? My MEID number was accepted BUT the phone was not correctly identified by FP. I have not activated with Ringplus. This phone is not rooted but it probably does not have a standard ROM. So I am concerned that it might not work and I will be out the $20 after I activate it.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @keesan‌
    The app is free....Freedompop free text and voice is free(freedompop messaging)

we pay for Data service

what does swappa.com say

You can PM(private message) me the MEID if you don't feel comfortable sending it to me here and I can take a peek?

to PM me...click my name @njfulwider5‌ and over to the right side you will see a message button..click it and send me a message

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

I tested the app on a Verizon phone - voice works (for 200 min?) and text does not. This does not tell me if I can activate the Sprint phone that has RandomROM on it, and that got misidentified, or if I can get a refund if not. I notice a lot of people unable to activate, but refunds seem to be given only for defective equipment

Do wifi calls made with the app count towards the 200 free minutes?

The MEID was accepted by FP but the ROM may not be. You don't need it.

In the meantime I read that VOIP over 3G is not usable so the phone would be only for data and texting (and phone via wifi).
    edited October 2014 #6
    @keesan‌
    I use a Iphone 4s--3g only for voice and text...all day everyday...

Your rom shouldn't have anything to do with a BYOD? Only the app might have issues if the rom is not compatible...Not the activation..

Inorder to get Text...You need to log onto you google account....

make sure the app you downloaded was Freedompop messaging for android..

If you use 200 mins you use 200 mins..doesn't matter if your on wifi or Data...The counter doesn't discriminate between them...Same with Text...

Nobody can promise you anything...I suppose if your phone was not compatible and a employee of freedompop told you it was--than you tried and it didn't work...????

we are all member's...eve us pros...not employees..

Give the customer service people a call and find out about the 20$..

Customer service Numbers>>>>

(888) 915-2647 (888) 906-3184

(888) 743-8107

(855) 703-5785

(888) 673-8518

(888) 731-1555

(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm PDT.

Phone part of the app (from Google Market) dialed out (did not check voice quality) on a Verizon Android 2.3.4 phone, but when I click on the texting icon in upper left and then 'compose' it tells me:

Sorry!
    The application FreedomPop Free Voice And Text (process com.freedompop.ott) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.
    Force close Report

Trying again gets me the same error message.

Were you saying to send texts via Google Voice? I can send emails instead.

The RandomROM on the Epic 4G identifies as Android 2.3.6. It appears to be a modified Android OS, which among other things keeps track of battery usage better. The friend who owned it said new batteries only lasted 3 hours. (He had not thought to turn off bluetooth, wifi, or GPS, or turn down brightness). So it came to me with three batteries and a separate charger.

I will try the app directly on this phone and also will phone support, since they don't seem to read the forums. Thanks for your suggestions.

I can save my 200 min of Freedompop voice for use via 3G and continue to use callcentric/ipkall/googlevoice and an ATA at home (or zoiper on a computer or I think also on a phone). Mainly interested in email, but it is good to know 3G voice works for you. Where do you find time to comment in so many discussions?
    I phoned support (sales) and was told that I am not charged the $20 fee until AFTER activation, and the custom ROM should work as long as the phone is on the supported list.
    Same thing I mentioned???But I am not sales...I can't promise if activation goes south, you'll get you money back....That is for a admin or CS....

So you tested the app and it keeps crashing? is that only on text messaging?

Texting gives the same error message on both VZ and Sprint phones via wifi, even with background sync enabled. Maybe it does not work via wifi?

I made voice calls to our VOIP phone with FP at the default 16kHz clock rate, and then at the recommended 44kHz with major improvement. At 16 it is too garbled to understand, and at 44 bassy and missing a few syllables but borderline understandable. GrooveIP is similar to the 44KHz of FP. Turning volume level from 8 to 6 also may have helped a bit. WIRED VOIP with hardware ATA is immensely better than wifi via either app. I would only use voice via cell for emergencies and mainly want email. I can email texts.

I may try Zoiper softphone with Google Voice (for free outgoing calls via 3G). Zoiper is said to have excellent call quality even with 3G and I know it works well on various computers and OSes.
    @keesan‌
    You might need a admin to look at your account , here are there names..

@KathyFP‌ @JasmineS‌ @ "Jorge M @‌FreedomPop‌ @K_Ber‌@Taylor‌
    @Darla_A‌ @Vanessa‌ @EdwinFreedomPop‌ @GeorgeD‌ @lolabee

or customer service call the 1 (888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm PDT

I went ahead and threw the @sign in there for you to reach an admin

Hope this helps

I am done testing with wifi. Voice quality of Freedompop app is not as good as Zoiper Free for Android on my slow wifi connection. Zoiper is designed to work with 3G (maybe even 2G). I used to use it on a 300MHz laptop. I don't know if it works with dialup. uLaw codec is recommended by callcentric. You can pay Zoiper for G729.

I signed up for a free callcentric account and got a 1777xxxxxxx number, took that to http://ipkall.com and got a free WA state 253 number, and attached that to my Google Voice account.

I can now use Zoiper to call directly to any other callcentric number (1777....., or *750x (x being any digit) if set it up to fast dial). I could pay callcentric 2 cents/min (which they richly deserve for excellent service) to dial other numbers directly (or less by the month) but I am a cheapskate and I use GV to dial the number and ring back my DID number (incoming calls are free). The quality is infinitely better than GrooveIP or even Freedompop at 44kHz. GrooveIP uses 1.2MB per min, Zoiper probably similar, so I can split my data up between phone calls and emails.

Texting should start working in a day, after which I will gladly activate the phone with Freedompop. Hopefully the FP app will improve eventually, or maybe work better with 3G than 2.4Mbps wifi, or I can adjust the settings to improve quality and avoid the GV/Zoiper/Callcentric/Ipkall route, otherwise pay for extra data if the phone calls put me over 400MB/month.
    @keesan‌
    I live in Washington state and I can't believe I have lived this long without Freedompop. I think the reason your having issues, you said it....maybe another app or something like that causing a conflict..

The android freedompop app is one of the best out there right now..Full Integration with your phone. You turn on your phone and go...You pull up the phones native dialer and go...Your contacts..Google account and everything is made to just mesh with the app perfectly.

I am not sure why your receiving any type of conflict, but wifi with this app is crazy clear. And I live south of Seattle and the 3g Connection I get is even crazier....4g is a little spotty, but who cares when 3g is near perfect.

I am so protective when it comes to my children, and let me tell you. I purchased them all phones and we never miss a call or a text.

There could be a million reason the apps not working for you? Its so hard to tell unless you've started from scratch on your phone. But with the native Integration, I suspect something is causing the issue...

I hope to see you back on here soon, This is one of the greatest VOIP's I have used...But of course this is just my opinion...

Hope to see you back soon

My phone is 1GHz single-core. Maybe a newer faster phone is usable with the Freedompop app. The mid and high frequencies were missing, along with chunks of voice in both directions (missing packets). Maybe your wifi or 3G are faster than my wifi (download a high as 2.4Mbps to the router probably slowed down by the router, upload 430 kbps just measured despite AT&Ts' claims of faster).

FP is using ILBC 8kHz. I can try 8 16 or 32kHz speex, GSM, and other codecs. Maybe the forums suggest which one to use for older phones. Zoiper works well on a 300MHz laptop.

I read that GSM (8kHz) requires 600kbps upload speed. I also read that 3G speeds can be 300-600Kbps (symmetrically) which is similar to my upload speed but can be worse at times. In theory up to 1.2MBps, so maybe 3G would work better than wifi. I think the message I left (upload) was more garbled than the announcement I listened to (download).

G722 16kHz uses same bandwidth as the older G711 8kHz (or 7kHz) but sounds better. Said to send at 64kbps. I will compare it with the ILBC 8kHz.

G729 is best but not offered by FP (and Zoiper charges for it).

iLBC - internet Low Bitrate Code released in 2004. "ILBC handles the case of lost frames through graceful speech quality degradation". Not so graceful in my case. iLBC is used by Google Talk. Open source since 2011.

When I switch from iLBC to g722 it won't dial. ;=(

opus 16khz dials but appears to cut off the first part of my outgoing announcement (which sounds much better than iLBC, with mid and high frequencies). I left a long message which recorded as complete silence.

ISAC 16kHz, like G722, will not dial out. AMR 8kHz same.

speex 16kHz ditto (call in progress, returns to starting screen) same unknon error. Back to iLBC or more likely Zoiper. 3G may sound better than my 430kbps upload speed wifi. (AT&T promises only 'up to' their claimed speed).

I could try disabling 'use compact SIP' which reduces packet size.

Texting is still not working but it is only about 20 hours since I signed up. Perhaps I also need to activate. Is there some way to let FP app sync data but not let other apps do so (without being root)?
    Unchecking 'Use compact SIP' in setting, networking, seems to help a bit (less garbled). The boominess was from listening to voicemail on a laptop with bass-heavy speakers plugged in. Sounds better on the phone. But still garbled, probably more so in the message I left than the announcement I listened to because download speed is 6 times upload speed (despite AT&T claiming it is 4 times). 3G upload speed may be better than 430K and lose fewer packets but even 2400K lost some.
    @keesan‌

You know your phone...But the HTC EVO 4g's sound like a pretty close brother to what your using....

I think with all the stuff you have on your phone, you going to have conflict...I wish I had the phone in my hands>>>LOL...so much easier that way..

so are you still using at&T data? or FP data? do you have any other voice and text app on the phone active?

I am still using wifi and texting is still giving the same message. Maybe it only works after activating the phone? Zoiper and GrooveIP (voice only) are killed and I did not put any texting apps on the phone. One other person reported this same error to the forum. I will phone support. If I need to use data to make phone calls I don't want to also use data for texting (though it would not take much per email).
    I installed Heywire free texting app and sent a text to my Freedompop number. Got a notification (ring and vibrate) from FP app, but the same error message (so I could not read the text). Heywire app will work instead if the FP app does not - it notified me and let me read a text sent from Google Voice. Unlike a cell phone, the app will not text to an email address.

I think I read that FP uses data to send texts anyway. So all I really need is for the phone to activate so I can use 400MB/month (500MB if I don't cap it, and do permit going over that and paying for the extra) to use Zoiper for voice and Heywire for texts if FP app does not work right. I will sign up Monday for my very first cell phone account. So now I have a FP number, a GrooveIP number, three callcentric numbers with three associated IPkall DID number and two GV associated numbers, and a Heywire number. Enough to drive friends crazy. One of them keeps trying to text our VOIP home phone.

Heywire is only 4.7 MB. (Most other texting apps are 11-25MB). First I looked at the 817K Textie but reviews were bad. Then the 2MB Mightytext but it requires a browser and gmail, I think. This is the next smallest and is highly rated. Very easy setup and use. No ads. Lets you attach photo or music clip (such as a voice message? That might use less data than VOIP).