**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Cannot call out from my S3

I just got my Samsung Galaxy S3 and I am unable to call out on the phone. To make a call I am opening the Freedompop Messaging app, pressing the phone icon and then typing in the phone number on the keypad. (I have also tried from Contacts with the same result.) When I hit the call button (the green phone) it shows "CALLING..." and it the notification panel has a "Call in progress" message. However there is no sound of a phone ringing and the phone being called does not ring or otherwise indicate that it has been called. Eventually (after about 35 seconds) a "HUNG UP" message flashes briefly before returning me to the dialer keypad.

I am able to receive calls without any problem (and from the same phone I was trying to call), so the problem does not seem to be with my connection. The situation is the same whether I am on WiFi or 4G.

After checking here on the message boards and based on advice here, I have already done the following, all without any improvement:
Updated the Freedompop Messaging App
Updated the PRL and Profile
Updated the Freedompop Settings->Network->For Outgoing Calls settings to check all of Use Wifi, Use 3G (and better) and Use other networks.

Is there more I can try to get my Galaxy S3 to be able to dial out?

Has anyone seen this before, or is it possible I just got a bad phone?

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jamie MacDonald
    Have you had a chance to look at the post I made about the messaging settings...

try just the messaging setting in the post and see if it helps...

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/5346/lets-talk-about-the-new-update-version-28-15-05-36-1020-oct-20-2014-and-older-app-version-27#latest

hope this helps

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Jamie MacDonaldJamie MacDonald FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
    @njfulwider5
    Thanks--yes I saw that. Although I only listed the settings for "For Outgoing Calls" in my I've-already-tried-this section above, I did in fact do the same for "For Incoming Calls" and also bumped up the clock rate to 44.1 KHz. Other things from that post I have done (without success):
    Made sure the Mobile Networks->Mobile data had the "Turn on data access over mobile network" checked.
    Network Connections->Data usage->Mobile data is checked.
    FP Settings->Easy configuration->Integrate with Android is checked.
    FP Settings->Easy configuration->Availability Profile is set to Always available
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jamie MacDonald

Feel free to just PM me tmr...we can run threw the setting allot faster than on the forum here..Just tick @njfulwider5‌ and when you get to my page...look over to the right of the page. Click the message box... or we can do it here?

we can run threw a few configurations...find out if we need the big guns or not...

hope to hear from you tmr..

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

I am happy to grasp at straws if anybody has any suggestions I haven't tried yet....
    @Jamie MacDonald

lets see if your account is ok on the admins side..after they do there thing if the phone still has issues..I hit you up with a few things we can try--especially if you went threw my post and still have issues....here are there names..

@KathyFP‌ @JasmineS‌ @ "Jorge M @‌FreedomPop‌ @K_Ber‌@Taylor‌
    @Darla_A‌ @Vanessa‌ @EdwinFreedomPop‌ @GeorgeD‌ @lolabee

or customer service call the 1 (888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm PDT

I went ahead and threw the @sign in there for you to reach an admin

Hope this helps

• @Jamie MacDonald‌ Hello! i just performed a refresh on the account, i would suggest performing another PRL update now, please let if you still encounter issues after this is done.
    "Don't forget to vote on our latest Poll for a chance to win some FreedomPop gear! :) https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/7284/where-do-you-take-your-portable-hotspot-device#latest"
    @Jamie MacDonald
    did the refresh help?

@lolabee I ran the Update PRL/Update Profile again, but with no change--I still cannot dial out.

I also tried doing a Force Stop and Clear Data on the Freedompop Messaging app, again with no luck.

I don't think the problem is with the connection itself--I can receive phone calls and I can send and receive texts.

@njfulwider5 Thanks for all your suggestions. Anything else you can think of that I can try?
    @Jamie MacDonald
    I hate to say it...I keep preaching....data sync,,data sync......Google account and play store.....

we are missing that one setting I know it.....The problem you are having is the samething you get with any other phone....when the above is not configured....

I was hoping a Refresh would do the trick---Thanks @lolabee‌

Give me a few and I figure something....anybody with the same phone---Are we missing something--we have tried everything???

I message back here in a little

• Daniel S3Daniel S3 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 112
    I have noticed that with the newer FP messaging apps I have been unable to call out while on wifi. I started checking through the settings and found that on newer versions the setting "use compact SIP" is checked by default. Sure enough, if I uncheck it I can call out on wifi. The really strange part is when I go to my other house I can call out on wifi. this leads me to believe its a router setting. Now, the really strange part. I set the phones MAC in the DMZ, makes no diff, still no outgoing calls. No setting on the main router will allow me to make outgoing FP calls with "use compact SIP" checked. No big deal on my end, but maybe you can see if it makes a diff for you.
    @Jamie MacDonald

What happens when you call out? Do you receive any types of sound from the phone at all? Its really strange to have all the other part of the app working. When its a router issue, it is usually receiving calls...

Have you forces stopped and cleared cache on your play store app too...

I did read the manual finally...so i might have a few tricks up my sleeve...

@Duke 350
    I'd be interested to try you theory...what provider do you have? I know the provider can play a key part sometimes..I have a Comcast router with a Belkin DB 600 router.

@Jamie MacDonald
    before I forget.

Can you get to wireless and network on your phone?

go to settings

Go to wireless and network

select More settings

select wifi calling

connection preference

select wifi calling....should be three settings....

Try this setting and if it still don't work try the other...

if none of the settings work, make sure to set it back to default or the way it was before you tried.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014 #14
    @Duke 350‌ are you receiving any error messages?
    "Don't forget to vote on our latest Poll for a chance to win some FreedomPop gear! :) https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/7284/where-do-you-take-your-portable-hotspot-device#latest"
  • Daniel S3Daniel S3 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 112
    @lolabee , I get no errors, just the appearance of a call with no sound at all, then it just stops. I have notified support of this on a few occasions since I have been on the phone with them quite regularly lately. I have also made a post here a while ago about this and it was never approved.

@njfulwider5 , I have a DGL-4500 Gamefuel Extreme N router. ISP is Comcast.
  • Patricia  IafelicePatricia Iafelice FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 0
    I am having the same problem with my S3 and also when using Wi-Fi the other party cannot hear me. FP CS say my router port is blocking after 2 months asking them for a fix, but they don't tell me what port to open. Do we need to ask each Wi-Fi place to open a port. I have a Trendnet TEW-812DRU AC Router and ISP is Charter Cable.

• Patricia  IafelicePatricia Iafelice FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 0
    @njfulwider5 Joe, Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried all and none of the suggested settings have helped. My router also has an ALG to keep open VOIP SIP traffic. Nothing helps. FreedomPop claims a port but what are we supposed to do? Ask the barista to open Wi-Fi ports so FP works. The app should detect this and revert to Cell service. Even when I un tick inbound and outbound Wi-Fi calling in the messaging app and make or receive calls the other party cannot hear me.
    @Patricia Iafelice

Well all I can do is suggest...It goes wifi-4g-3g....So if you inside of the Barista's place? and you configured your wifi to run there one time. each time you walk in the door, it will pick it up wifi over data...

Your using a app for phone service. It has no idea how your call quality is, it works by fine tuning, depending on your locations? Maybe you have weak signal, or maybe you have strong signal....Its all fine tuning...

Maybe another member has some trick you can try....maybe a admin would like to take a peek at your account from the account side? Do you have plenty of data/Voice and Text? Lets send a shout out to the admins, and I 'll throw in the customer service number too... here are there names..

@KathyFP‌ @JasmineS‌ @ "Jorge M @‌FreedomPop‌ @K_Ber‌@Taylor‌
    @Darla_A‌ @Vanessa‌ @EdwinFreedomPop‌ @GeorgeD‌ @lolabee

or customer service call the 1 (888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 9am-5pm PDT

I went ahead and threw the @sign in there for you to reach an admin

Hope this helps

• sindi keesansindi keesan FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 23
    Yesterday I could make wifi calls with FP messaging app but today I have the above problem. GrooveIP works fine via wifi (and occasionally via 3G right next to a window). I can send texts. I can see when someone is phoning but I hear no rings, and hitting the green button does not answer. I have a strong wifi signal (used with the computer right now). I got a missed call notification. Still cannot call either of two numbers. Samsung Galaxy S (Epic 4G).
    I update the messaging app whenever asked to, which I think was yesterday, which might be what broke things. Did anyone else have it working until today? The solution seems to be GrooveIP. We all seem to be part of a beta test group.
    Experimenting with codecs. Speex 8 for FP might sound a bit better than the defaults. It rings after 3 sec instead of 13 sec. Speex 16 similar. But most of the time I just get Call in Progress, sometimes the dial screen flashes on for a 1/10 second, but generally I cannot call. Sometimes Call in Progress stays visible for 1 sec sometimes less. So the codec is irrelevant and the updates probably were too. Back to GrooveIP, which dials and rings immediately and sounds much better. This is all at wifi speeds (768Kbps up at the best of times). 3G signal does not work indoors here.
    Today I was able to make a call with Messaging App on the first try. The callee could barely understand me (on her FP phone) but I could understand much of what she said. My 3G signal shows 2 bars, near a window, better than usual, and she has an LTE phone (faster upload).