**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

CDMA/GSM phone on Freedom Pop??

rv7charlierv7charlie Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
Greetings; this is my 1st post here. I currently have prepaid AT&T phone-only service (paid for the next 11 months), but I'm thinking of switching to FreedomPop to get free/low cost internet with phone service. I'm currently shopping for a newer phone (state of the art not required).
I'd like to keep my ability to use my prepaid ATT service, but try out FreedomPop. I've seen several phones that have both GSM and CDMA built in (ex: Samsung Galaxy S4 SPHL720TWT). Are there any smart phones that I can bring to FreedomPop that also have a sim card slot for ATT voice? To restate: I'd like to keep my ATT prepaid voice, but be able to use FreedomPop voice and/or data on the same phone.

Thanks for your help,

Charlie

Answers

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014 #2
    @rv7charlie‌
    You need to make sure the phone you bring is CDMA locked(sprint only) Make sure the esn is free from sprint and clear for service...

If you just want to try the app....leave services on your att&t and just download the free app from the Play store....Freedompop messaging. or Freedompop Freed voice and Text on the Iphone

the sims needed are

SIMGLW206R-android
    CZ2104LWR or SIMGLW406R (both numbers are the same sim..)Iphone 5
    Tab 3: SIMGLT207R

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    After activation make sure to get ur device unlocked via MSL or R-SIM. Also the SPH-L720TWT is a triband device and will not work.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ali‌
    Good Catch......I didn't see the T.......

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• rv7charlierv7charlie Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for the quick replies! Unfortunately, I'm afraid I need you to dumb it down a bit for me (I'm barely above rotary dial level). I tried the itunes app store for the freedompop apps, but they want paypal or other payment for a free app (?). (But, will the app work on an AT&T phone, anyway?)

So if I buy a Galaxy S4 SPHL720 (without the 'T') that was sold as a Sprint phone, and make sure the esn is usable (clean), it can be used on FreedomPop *and* it can be used with an AT&T sim card for my prepaid service?

Also, I'm really confused by the use of the terms 'locked' and 'unlocked'. 1st, I should be sure that the phone is 'locked' to Sprint. Then I activate it with FreedomPop. Then I get it 'unlocked' with 'MSL or R-SIM' (?). Sorry; totally lost on that sequence, particularly the 'unlocking' part.

Remember, the goal is one phone that will work preferably voice and data (but at least data) on FreedomPop (CDMA), but be able to access AT&T's voice network using my existing prepaid sim card. I need a feature list comparable to at least a Galaxy S3 (GPS, SD card slot, accelerometer, gyro, prox, compass).

I need a new phone and want to try FreedomPop, but I can't 'bet the farm' on just FreedomPop, particularly since their voice doesn't yet work in my zipcode.

Thanks for your help, and patience,

Charlie
    @rv7charlie‌

when you download the app,,,just skip the In App Purchase...You'll be ok---Its apple asking for the info....just skip and download...

You can't use a GSM phone on freedompop...It has to be CDMA...So At&T will not work...

Locked and unlocked can mean allot of things...

Phone is locked by the service provider, for no payment

Phone is cloud locked because it was stolen...

Phone in not locked to GSM or CDMA....This is a unlocked phone

You want a Locked phone--Locked to CDMA(sprint)...

@Ali, can he just purchase a sim for the At&T phone? so he can make it a CDMA?

Try the app...ingnore in app purchase...just press skip

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically @njfulwider5‌ He wants to be able to use his phone on FP and AT&T just in case.

So if he wants to use his phone, it must have LTE capability, or he will have to purchase an external SIM Case / Adaptor like the SocBlue A870.

So with that being said, @rv7charlie‌ you can get any phone, it will have to be a Sprint phone to activate here. If it is an LTE phone then you can use any SIM as long as there is a means of unlocking it. If not, you will have to purchase an adaptor like mentioned above.
    OK, let me see if I'm following. (No desire to use an external fix, if it can be avoided.)
    1. Buy any (used) Sprint LTE phone with clean esn, or other CDMA phone that can be used on Sprint.
    1a. If it isn't 'locked' to Sprint, call Sprint & get it locked.
    1b. Install a Sprint sim card, SIMGLW206R-android or CZ2104LWR or SIMGLW406R iphone. (Is this required even for a Sprint-locked phone?)

2. Sign up for FreedomPop.

3. Get device unlocked via MSL or R-SIM. (Does this mean calling Sprint and asking them to remove the lock? Still unclear on how to do this.)

4. To use AT&T voice, insert my existing sim card.

Am I close?

Thanks,

Charlie
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    The only phones I think will work are the Galaxy S4 (SPH-L720) and the Apple LTE capable phones

The Galaxy S3 will not work because the SIM is not removable.
    Do not get the Galaxy S4 SPH-L720T. This tri-band model is not yet on the BYOD list.
    @rv7charlie‌

only if your looking to use a used LTE device(phone)...

If you decide to use a wimax phone, its a little easier....

@njfulwider5‌
    The Wimax devices do not fit his requirements. He wants to change SIMs occasionally to use his AT&T account. Wimax devices have no SIMs and will not work on AT&T.

@rv7charlie‌

@djinks‌
    This was a reply to his question

please read question prior....But thanks

@rv7charlie‌
    ref "1b. Install a Sprint sim card, SIMGLW206R-android or CZ2104LWR or SIMGLW406R iphone. (Is this required even for a Sprint-locked phone?)"
    Those SIMs are used for LTE 4G on Sprint and FreedomPop.

OK, let me see if I'm following. (No desire to use an external fix, if it can be avoided.)
    1. Buy any (used) Sprint LTE phone with clean esn, or other CDMA phone that can be used on Sprint.
    1a. If it isn't 'locked' to Sprint, call Sprint & get it locked.
    1b. Install a Sprint sim card, SIMGLW206R-android or CZ2104LWR or SIMGLW406R iphone. (Is this required even for a Sprint-locked phone?)

2. Sign up for FreedomPop.

3. Get device unlocked via MSL or R-SIM. (Does this mean calling Sprint and asking them to remove the lock? Still unclear on how to do this.)

4. To use AT&T voice, insert my existing sim card.

Am I close?

Thanks,

Charlie

I said

we have mentioned what you need for a lte device...

Djinks is correct to.....

OK, after a problem with an 'unclean' ebay-sourced phone (got a refund from the seller), I've got an apparently clean Swappa-sourced Galaxy S4 in hand. Last night I went through the activation process (tried to use my existing trail account/phone number that was set up without a phone). The activation process seemed to accept the MEID of the phone and ICCID of the sim card that came in the phone. However, I'm not seeing any signal on the phone, and when I look at my FP account, there are no devices listed. When I looked at my credit card account this morning, there was no charge showing from FP for the activation fee. How long should the activation process take? (Maybe I'm too accustomed to instant gratification....)

Thanks,

Charlie
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,240FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wold expect it to be pretty close to instant... 10 minutes should be WAY enough.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    That's what I would have thought. I finally found a tech support phone number & called yesterday. Had to use a different email address (couldn't use the trial account or delete/start over with that address). They were very helpful, and within 10 minutes, the phone said it was activated. Unfortunately, the automated signup routine that checks for coverage says there's no network coverage where I live (on a 4 lane US highway), even though the coverage *map* shows coverage here. I'll take the phone with me while running errands today to be sure it actually works on the cell network (it does work connected to my home wifi).

Thanks for the help.
    @rv7charlie
    You should try running the numbers in the activation portal again...might be a chance something got missed the first time...Its pretty quick////