FreedomPop Deals: Free USB Modem!

Comments

• Daniel S3Daniel S3 Posts: 112FreedomPop Newbie
    Working fine in windoze 8.1 also. Last night when I assumed it was plug and play (which it does say in some places), before I realized it needed a program to operate, I followed some instructions to manually install drivers. If you know how to check device manager and update drivers then you are already halfway there. I installed the generic microsoft drivers and still tried plug and play and had no blue ( I assume its supposed to be blue) light so I just quit there.

Once I had the generic microsoft drivers installed, today I went out and dled the sprint stuff and installed it, plugged in the usb and it worked right away. So I have verified this works with vista, win7 and win8.1.

C&P from the FP site. The only difference was in 8.1 it was listed as Microsoft Inc. (or something similar) instead of Microsoft Corp.

How can I install my USB Bolt on Windows 7/8?

The bolt device should automatically be recognized by your computer as Ethernet, however should you need to install the device manually here's what you need to do:

Right-Click on "Computer" in the start menu and select "Properties"

From there, click "Device Manager" at the top left of the Window, make sure that the Bolt is plugged in when you do this and look for any uninstalled USB or network devices, it might be listed under "Other Devices" as RNDIS. If you think you've found it double-click on the device to bring up it's properties window.

From this window go to the "Driver" tab and select "Update driver."

This should take you to a device/driver installer. The program might be able to find the driver automatically, but if it can't or if you'd like to try it manually, then select "Browse my computer for device software." when prompted.

On the next screen select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" you will then be directed to a list of common devices. Scroll down and select "Network adapters" and hit Next.

The last screen should allow you to pick the driver, which you can do by selecting "Microsoft Corporation" in the lefthand window and "Remote NDIS compatible device" in the righthand window.

This should apply the standard windows driver to the device, which will now be recognized as Ethernet.
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014 #53
    My U600 is to be delivery today, I give report on the connection of my Mac Mini with Yosemite OS on it.
    If it late delivery today I report on it tomorrow.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    I have review report on my u600, I got it to work on the Mac, but unable to get it to work on ubuntu 14.10. It will not work on my Galaxy Tab 3. Have not check out my Window 7. It working on my Mac but I have to disconnect all other connections in order to use it.

Any other review out there to report.
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭

I have review report on my u600, I got it to work on the Mac, but unable to get it to work on ubuntu 14.10. It will not work on my Galaxy Tab 3. Have not check out my Window 7. It working on my Mac but I have to disconnect all other connections in order to use it.

Any other review out there to report.

Did you follow what I posted above on how I got it to work in 14.10? After I created the file and pasted the text, I rebooted. Then I plugged in the U600. It took a minute, but then it showed up in network settings (in the status bar where you choose the wireless network). Make sure "Enable Mobile Broadband" is checked and add a new connection with Sprint as the network. If you don't see it there, open settings, then network. Click on Mobile Broadband. Flip it on and select Add a new connection using Sprint. The toolbar network app errored for me when I plugged it in and I had to use the second route. After I logged out and logged back in, it showed up there.
    I try to create the file, but I do not know if I was successful, but I try the step you posted on my Ubuntu. To check it out. I PM you on this information of my finding. Problem I have is there no save, on the terminal but there is a exit. You have to type in character to make the command but unable to make it excure it.
    [email protected]

• Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    When I got my U600 to work in Ubuntu, it was only in 3G mode. I am going to try the things in this post to see if I can get the WiMAX to work. It would be nice to use it for the limited amount of time I have on it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2078478
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,352FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most fascinating.
    I wonder if I can do the same on a Raspberry PI ?
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @njfulwider5 I tired looking at the available drivers and its a no go so far. I am going to try to call Sprint later to see if an alternative driver can be used, but every option I have tried just responds the same "windows rt does not support this device". Thats with it attached directly to the tablet, as you know the Surface has full size usb hook-up...Love this thing I can plug anything on it, mouse, keyboard, another screen.

I do have to call brother printer to see about an alternative driver for it because according to the list my particular model is also not supported, but as I recall I had the same problem with 8.1 and I tried another driver and it worked, sooooo there is hope there.

I'll report back. But if anyone finds something first please post!
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @M.A. II Lopez
    Did you try compatibility mode? >>>using Win7 or Vista?

The link thats been floating around is only working on Windows 7?

Anybody else try it on Windows 8.1.....

I couldn't see the drivers being that much different in either?

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    edited November 2014 #61
    Works fine on my Vista pc. I have not tried it on my Win 8.1 pc yet, been busy. But I will try tonight and report back. Its only on my Windows RT 8.1 Surface tablet that it's saying no to.
    NJ read the top post on this page, looks like duke tried it out!
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    No he tried something else(Remote NDIS compatible device)

You should try compatibility mode.....In Windows 8....I don't know how many time this has save me when it came to drivers.....

I don't think I'll have mine till Wednesday(USB)...so I can't test....But I pretty much have one of everything(computers Operating systems)...LOL

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,352FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, does Window RT have a compatibility mode ?
    I have a brother printer. There's the code to access the networked printer... There's the way to hook wirelessly to printer, that's your best chance.
    There is also nuance software 'paper port'. That scans the printer scanner etc. call nuance about that part for RT.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    I wish I had a pc with it...I think that is the only operating system I don't have....

edited November 2014 #66
    I just looked up the smartview and this is what it is says

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/software_downloads/mobile_broadband/sprint_250u.shtml

This device is not compatible with Windows 8 RT

There has to be another way...but I am not seeing it...I'll keep looking

Usually you can Google something like the smartview and compatibility with windows 8 rt....But even the searches pull up nothing...

Is there even a compatibility mode...In RT, like rich asked?
    I doubt it....it would have to run in 64bit and 32 bit, and I don't think RT runs its programs like that...

I never did any research on the rt version, never had to..But holy cow is that hardware limited.....
    Sorry M.A. II Lopez, I got nothing???

Works fine on my Vista pc. I have not tried it on my Win 8.1 pc yet, been busy. But I will try tonight and report back. Its only on my Windows RT 8.1 Surface tablet that it's saying no to.

@M.A. ll Lopez , You can try "Device Manager", by going to search -> type-in "Device Manager" -> in search results, click device manager -> if it like windows vista and 7, find device, it might be in USB, Network or other, not sure try all three -> when you find device, right click and click properties -> find "Update Driver".

Make sure your USB is plug in and when you update driver, the program is design to find the right driver for you. If it cannot find driver, it say so.

These are done on all app and devices when it does not do it automatically.
    [email protected]

No he tried something else(Remote NDIS compatible device)

You should try compatibility mode.....In Windows 8....I don't know how many time this has save me when it came to drivers.....

I don't think I'll have mine till Wednesday(USB)...so I can't test....But I pretty much have one of everything(computers Operating systems)...LOL

I have verified it works plug and play with Vista, Windoze 7 and Windoze 8.1 after installing sprint smart view from the link provided and also with another link, which it the same software just named different. Same version. There is no need to try compatibility mode, it works just fine when the install directions are followed.

The remote NDIS is listed as a workaround on the freedompop site for people having issues installing.
    edited November 2014 #71
    @Duke 350
    That is great News!!I was hoping that with the Windows 8 RT, he had the same compatibility mode as the rest of the operating systems...The software is not compatible with RT

Unfortunately...he don't....and I have not found an answer....

Have you messed with RT....I have not had the chance to play around with that operating system yet? Maybe you have some pointer for him?(M.A. II Lopez)

edited November 2014 #72
    @M.A. II Lopez This is what I have found: The device driver has to comply with NDIS v 6.3 or it will not work with Windows 8.x RT. I doubt that since WiMAX is all but obsolete, that Franklin Wireless will come up with a driver that is up to Windows 8.x specs especially since their website has not been updated since May2013. :-/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_rt-hardware/what-3g4g-usb-devices-does-windows-rt-support/cd2449f3-c55e-4de7-b414-98061ece82ce
    Curious to know if anyone is still waiting on the CC refund. Mine has not yet gone through.
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,387 admin
    @Duke 350‌ Hey Duke, could you please PM me your account email and tell me about the refund issue you speak of, thanks :)
    PM was sent.
  • Have _NINE_ Wimax Hubs C.Have _NINE_ Wimax Hubs C. Posts: 201FreedomPop Newbie
    Please post an updated link for this free modem. Will it work with windows 7 or 8?
This discussion has been closed.