Compiled tips for improved call quality on Android phones

Frederick RichterFrederick Richter Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
Hello everyone,

This Is an attempt to help out the Android FreedomPop users who are experiencing poor call quality which is not related to cell reception or ISP latency.

My recommended settings for Android Messaging app:
Set "Clock rate" to 44.1KHz
Increase "Media thread count" by 1 or 2
Set Fast codec to opus 16kHz (keep ILBC 8 kHz for slow)
Set checkbox "Keep awake while on call"

Recommended actions in Android settings:
Under System Update, do "Update Profile" and "Update PRL"
Under application manager with the Messaging app, choose "Force stop", then "Clear data", exit settings and restart the Messaging app.

The background:
I was exited a few weeks ago to find on Craigslist a relatively cheap Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 (by the way, the free tool at Swappa.com is invaluable for checking to make sure the phone hasn't been reported stolen: http://swappa.com/esn ) because I had been wanting to give FreedomPop a try. I followed the instructions for bring-your-own-device, and I had the software installed and the phone set up within minutes. What wasn't good was the call quality... I have fiber optic Internet at my house with (verified) download speeds of 30mbs and upload of 10mbs. While on Wifi I could hear other people clearly, but they reported that my voice quality was severely garbled with constant cutting out and there was about a 1-2 second delay. On 4g, the call quality was the same. I actually thought that maybe something was wrong with the phone itself, since the S3s are known to have sound issues, but decided to scour the Internet for other ideas. After hours searching the FreedomPop forums and browsing the reported issues with CsipSimple (the open source software that the Messaging app is built from) at: https://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/ , I came up with a few settings which have greatly improved the call quality on Wifi and 4g. No more garbled sound, cutting out, and the delay is much much shorter. I selfishly would like to see FreedomPop succeed as I am saving a ton of money by using this service, so hopefully they are able to hang on to a few more customers if these tips can help someone.

Disclaimer:
I chose to share my setting choices based on my own anecdotal it-worked-for-me evidence... I don't fully understand why some of these things help, only that I think they do. If someone knows why I shouldn't use a particular setting, I would love to hear about it.

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Frederick Richter
    Good Job...These tips come in handy when other are having issues.

I have a few tips and trick that might help out too take a peek...

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/5346/lets-talk-about-the-new-update-version-28-15-05-36-1020-oct-20-2014-and-older-app-version-27/p1

please add to it if you see anything we can do to improve it..

what about data..do you have 10 freedom friends for 500mbs...Take a peek at this

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/5422/tips-tricks-of-the-freedom-friends-get-an-exrta-500-mb-a-month-the-limitation-of-gifting#latest

If you have a chance, take a peek..and feel free to add anything to either...

I have another floating about Iphones too...But I really need to clean that one up..

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• George PerkinsGeorge Perkins Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    This made is BIG difference on my Galaxy S2. Thank you!!
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone having trouble finding the settings, open the FreedomPop Messaging app, then:
    Media Clock Rate, Media thread count, Codecs
    and
    User Interface (Keep awake while on call)
  • DaveTalksDaveTalks Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    What do you mean increase media thread count by 1 or 2? Mine has a default setting of 2 does th is mean I increase it to 3 or 4?
  • oluvinuoluvinu Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    hello, what is media thread count used for ? what is its purpose ? how high and low can the media thread count be ?
  • Jeffrey JayJeffrey Jay Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    @oluvinu‌

Someone correct me if this is wrong.

"From the CPU's perspective, a thread (short for "thread of execution") is merely an ordered sequence of instructions that tells the computer what to do"
    from arstechnica..............

So I am assuming that if you have a multi-core phone it can process multiple threads at once(including "media" threads) which would reduce the latency(time it takes to process the media stream of digital data to analog voice) hopefully improving any stuttering and such.

I have a S3 byod which is a dual core phone. Out of frustration and wanting as reliable a phone as I have had with other cell services, I copied my default settings in the FP messaging app just in case, and started playing with all the settings.

As far as the thread count, I increased it to 4 and it seems to work better for me.

I had to go to expert settings and change the speaker amplification since voice reception was distorted. I set mine at 0.

A note: be careful here in modifying stuff. I have had to uninstall and reinstall the messaging app a few times when I modified settings and messed things up.