**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. The free trial lasts for 30 days, after which you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY
If you have not recently performed a Carrier Reset to your mobile device, we recommend doing so to ensure that your FreedomPop service is operating to its best capability. This does not cause the loss of any information saved on your mobile device. You can find instructions by selecting the following link: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3017/

For additional topics related to your concern, please visit our online Self-Help Knowledge Base at https://support.freedompop.com

Have hub, laptop, Google voice, and microphone. How can I use laptop as a telephone?

Have hub, laptop, Google voice, and microphone. How can I use laptop as a telephone?

Answers

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on Guys...

@Richard Allen
    he said the magic words---Google voice, I know you know a thing or 2 about porting...but what about google voice?

@Dan C.
    what operating system are you using? this is real important...

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Have _NINE_ Wimax Hubs C.Have _NINE_ Wimax Hubs C. FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 198
    Laptop has Windows 7 or 8.
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a youtube video explaining how to set up your google voice to make calls using your computer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFRJ3QYC0vY

I tried setting it up on one of my GV numbers and it look like this is what you need. I need to add a microphone to my computer to verify it does works (maybe tomorrow). Be sure in your phone settings that you have google chat showing as an option. If I remember right I had to do something extra to get the google chat option to appear. Google is trying to get everyone to use google hangouts.

This video explains how to set up to use google chat for calls and video chat. I would need to do a little more research to see if this can be done using google hangouts also.
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is an update for you. I installed a microphone on my computer today and was able to make and receive calls from my computer to a phone. Quality of the call was pretty good.

I also tried using google hangouts and hated it. First, making a call was not intuitive. It took me a while to figure out what to click on to make a call. Connection went through ok and audio quality on the computer was good. However, the incoming audio on the phone was terrible. The audio was garbled and had a bad echo.

Conclusion for making computer phone calls using google voice use google chat. google hangeouts needs a lot of work before I would consider it usable.

Let me know if you need any further assistance getting GV set up for calls using your laptop.

Just to be sure I cover all bases to receive incoming calls on your computer be sure you have gmail open in your browser.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Job @Richard Allen‌ very insightful!!!

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Have _NINE_ Wimax Hubs C.Have _NINE_ Wimax Hubs C. FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 198
    Are you saying that to RECEIVE incoming calls, my laptop must be on and gmail must be open on the desktop? Could gmail be minimized?
  • JAY SANCHEZJAY SANCHEZ FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    @Dan C.‌ Yes. Gmail can be minimized but to the best of my knowledge it must be up and running in order to receive calls.
  • JAY SANCHEZJAY SANCHEZ FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    @Dan C.‌ On the other hand, consider Skype if you're willing to pay a little per month ($3 for unlimited calls to the US & Canada.) There is a version available for pretty much anything and it can run in the background so you won't even notice it's there. A Skype number is needed if you want to receive phone calls but it's also cheap ($30/year for a US number.) Hope this helps!
    When I am at Voice and video chat/Verify your settings, the message - A plugin is needed to display this content. But there is no information displayed showing which plugin is needed.
    @dan c.

When you are in gmail click on the phone icon. At the top of the dialer there should be a link to install the google talk plugin. You may need to log out and log back in to gmail for the plugin to show as installed.

You can also download the plugin from http://google-talk-plugin.updatestar.com/
    CORRECTION
    When I am at Voice and video chat/Verify your settings, the message -"A plugin is needed to display this content" is visible. But there is no information displayed showing which plugin is needed. The plug-in you are recommending to install is already installed.
    @Dan C What browser are you using? When I was doing my testing I was using IE. I had to click the download plugin link twice to get it to install. I also installed the google hangouts plugin while I was testing the systems. Not sure if that is what got rid of the plugin message you are getting.

I also checked firefox and had to use the plugin install on this link. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/tag/google talk Then I had to go into tools, addon, plugins and changed the google talk plugin to "always active". Did a restart and the "plugin needed" message is no longer there.
    I think the plug-in is Adobe Flash. What should I do?
    @Dan C. What internet browser are you using?