google voice or hangouts?

Manish IntwalaManish Intwala Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
I'm a little confused. I want to use my gvoice number for everything (get calls when ppl call my gvoice number; get notifcation for txt and voicemail when ppl call gvoice number; make outgoing call showing gvoice number).

I am able to do all of this using the gvoice and gvoice callback app using the tutorial written almost a year ago.

I hear people are now using hangouts and hangouts dialer. What's the difference? Is hangouts better? Does the gvoice method use minutes but hangouts doesn't?

Comments

• Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @manish Intwala The only way to get google voice to work with your freedompop phone is to install a call back app so this would use voice minutes. Hangouts dialer will use data only.

If you want to try and set up google voice again here are the instruction that worked for me. Be sure that you have uninstalled any previous installs of GV or the call back app.

1) Install google voice app
    launch GV and enter your GV email and password
    when prompted for GV use select the never use
    2) Install voice+
    launch voice+ and enter your GV email and password
    when prompted for a call back number be sure to select your freedompop number
    select your choice of using GV only or to be prompted for GV or FP
    3) launch FP messaging and go to settings -> easy configuration ->uncheck integrate with android.
  • Manish IntwalaManish Intwala Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    @Richard Allen ooh okay. do you have instructions for the hangouts method? thanks!!
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @manish Intwala Hangouts dialer is very easy.
    Go to playstore and install hangouts dialer.
    launch hangouts dialer. If you do not have google+ installed you will be prompted to do that or upgrade the existing G+ app.
    When all apps are up to date you launch hangouts dialer and you will be prompted to select the gmail account associated with the GV number (that is assuming you have already added that gmail account to your phone).

Once hangouts dialer is linked with your gmail account you are ready to make and receive calls. Just remember you need to us the dialer in hangouts for your GV number to be displayed as the caller id. If you use the native dialer you will use minutes for your call and your FP number will be displayed for caller id.
  • RHCharlesRHCharles Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    @Richard Allen. I'm trying to switch over from GV to Hangouts for voice--both incoming and outgoing. Problem is I'm getting a double ring--Hangouts and FP dialer, even after disabling call forwarding to my FP number on the GV web site. I don't see a setting in FP messaging to disable voice incoming. Any ideas? It's possible I just didn't wait long enough for GV to update after unchecking the call forwarding. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Victory. Thanks in advance.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,348FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Richard Allen‌ , this is for you
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    @RHCharles Sorry for the delay. Just found this post. Are you still having the issue with the double ringing? If you are and your FP phone forwarding is unchecked the only other suggestion I would have is to delete the FP number from your GV account.

Also, did you install the google voice app? If you did that could be another possible reason the phone is double ringing.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is double ringing, make sure to disable it at voice.google.com and go to settings over there.
  • Lman BizLman Biz Posts: 138FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @RHCharles If you have hangouts installed, and in the settings you have checked the "Incoming Phone Calls" checked, it will ring your hangouts on your phone from your google voice. If you have also forwarded your google voice number to your Freedompop phone, your phone will ring too. So as Ali suggested, you can disable the forwarding to your phone in GV, or you can also simply disable it in the hangouts app. In reality, your GV number is getting forwarded to two different places as GV sees it, but in reality its the same device. So this is most likely the cause for double ringing.

Personally, I only use hangouts for incoming calls, and not the FP phone number, so I currently don't forward to my FP phone. That way, I mostly am able to use a wifi connection, and don't use any minutes or data for a phone call. I do however use the FP number when I want a bit better connection, as it seems to be better then hangouts on quality.
  • RHCharlesRHCharles Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    @Richard Allen. Thanks everyone for offering solutions. Changing GV settings didn't make any difference. So I just kept tinkering and found the solution.

Under "Easy configuration" in the FP Messaging app, the availability profile has 3 options: Always available, Available on Wifi, and Only for outgoing. The default is Always available. So when connected to Wifi, the phone was ringing both the Hangouts dialer and the FP dialer. Apparently, FP uses wifi when available instead of cellular signal--or 3g anyway. Not sure about 4g.

Anyway, I just selected the "Only for outgoing" option, and the double ringing stopped.

I've since changed my mind about using Hangouts. At least until GV transitions into it completely. But only then if it will tie into the native Contacts app, or provide its own Contacts handler. For some reason--probably security--Google hasn't released a mobile version of its Contacts web app.

Anyway, I understand the value of Hangouts for making free calls over wifi.