**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. The free trial lasts for 30 days, after which you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY
If you have not recently performed a Carrier Reset to your mobile device, we recommend doing so to ensure that your FreedomPop service is operating to its best capability. This does not cause the loss of any information saved on your mobile device. You can find instructions by selecting the following link: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3017/

For additional topics related to your concern, please visit our online Self-Help Knowledge Base at https://support.freedompop.com

static public IP# with FreedomPop Hub Burst?

Tom RocheTom Roche FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
Note I use the term "public IP#" to refer to one's IPv4 address or number as seen by the outside world: i.e., what one sees when browsing to http://whatismyip.com/ or similar website, or when accessing the Hub Burst's web UI (e.g. http://192.168.15.1/index.asp )

2 questions:

1. How often will a FreedomPop Hub Burst user's public IP# change?

2. Is there a way for a Hub Burst user to get a static/unchanging public IP# from FreedomPop?

What I mean, why I ask:

I do research involving environmental modeling, for which I use a remote compute cluster. The cluster admins formerly required all remote users to access via a particular SSL VPN. The SSL VPN worked fine from my home, where I get internet access via my Hub Burst. (Which I use via wired ethernet connection, not wireless, in case it makes a difference.)

However now the cluster admins are now also requiring IP registration: i.e., I need to tell them from what public IP# I will be accessing the cluster, *and* only run the SSL VPN from that public IP#. Furthermore, there is some leadtime/latency in that registration, so regular changes will be painful. So I need to know:

1. If I register the IP# my Hub Burst is currently getting from FreedomPop, how soon/frequently will that IP# change?

2. Is there a way that I can get a static/unchanging public IP# from FreedomPop? If so, how? and how much would that cost?

Comments

• Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭
    I do not know the policy on freedompop public IP or if it change or not, contact freedompop admin here on the form to get that kind information. As far you using Ethernet, the latency is much better on ethernet then WiFi.
    Any admin that know of public IP information come on answer has question. Also good to us all to know this information for any VPN service.
    Email: itbrianmc@aol.com
    itbrianmc@comcast.net

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • djinksdjinks FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you use a dynamic domain address instead? I have used such a service in the past when I needed to be addressable without a static IP. You register a domain name (usally free service) at a Dynamic DNS service and then continually run a small program your computer that periodically reports your IP to a Dynamic DNS server that then reports your IP address to the rest of the cloud. Anyone trying to access your computer uses the assigned URL (like www.IPickedThisURL@someservernamepickedfromtheservice.com). The domain name is converted to the IP by the cloud's DNS servers and you get the connection.

LifeHacker did an article about such servers:
    http://lifehacker.com/the-best-free-alternatives-to-dyndns-1561556205

• Tom RocheTom Roche FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    djinks said:

Can you use a dynamic domain address instead?

No. As noted above, I'm being required to register a static public IP number, i.e., the IPv4 "dotted quad." What DDNS services do (if I understand correctly--am I missing something?) is allow one to create a static public domain (i.e., a formatted string), and then to keep that domain in sync with a "normal" (in this world of DHCP) dynamic IP#. But I'm not being told to register a domain, I'm being told to register an IP#.
    Tom Roche said:

[my cluster's] admins are now also requiring IP registration: i.e., I need to tell them from what public IP# I will be accessing the cluster, *and* only run the SSL VPN from that public IP#. Furthermore, there is some leadtime/latency in that registration, so regular changes will be painful.

the latency is much [lower] on [wired] ethernet then [wireless].

Agreed, but note that the latency I'm referring to is not about ethernet, it's about this IP# registration process. I.e., if I need to change IP#s, I need to tell them, and it could be days before I receive approval (esp over a weekend or holiday).

Any admin that know of public IP information come on answer [this] question. Also good to us all to know this information for any VPN service.

Totally agreed--it would be very good to know FreedomPop's policy on static IP. Even if FreedomPop's stated policy is currently just "No static IP#s," it would be good to know where FreedomPop stands.

freedompop admin here on the [forum] to get that kind information.

Do you mean, I should private-message one of the forum users? If so, anyone in particular?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are three admins:
    Jorge M, JasmineS, and Lolabee
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, & 803S
  • JAY SANCHEZJAY SANCHEZ FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 410 ✭✭✭
    What about registering an address range with your VPN service? It is possible (though I haven't checked) that the IP addresses used by FP in your area fall within a limited range.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get 96.24.163.x. Maybe the first two might be the same for all?
    @JAY SANCHEZ 12:01PM 19 Nov 2014: 'What about registering an address range with your VPN service?'

1. Did I mention a "VPN service"? This is a federal-government compute cluster. They don't have a commercial incentive to make my life easier; they have a political incentive to be securinazis.

2. They won't take a range, they'll only take a single IP#.
    edited November 2014 #10
    Hmmmm, can another VPN offer a static IP on the far side of your subscription ?
    So one VPN talks to the other ?

Then you could log into your VPN from any IP and still have same ip presented to your company's VPN.

can another VPN offer a static IP on the far side of your subscription

Yes, but I've tried that, and it's not working--which is why I'm asking:
    Tom Roche said:

Is there a way for a Hub Burst user to [...] get a static/unchanging public IP# from FreedomPop? If so, how? and how much would that cost?

The problem is, as noted @ top of thread,
    Tom Roche said:

I use a remote compute cluster. The cluster admins formerly required all remote users to access via [an F5] SSL VPN. [That] worked fine from my home, where I get internet access via my Hub Burst. [...] However now the cluster admins are now also requiring IP registration: i.e., I need to tell them from what public IP# I will be accessing the cluster, *and* only run the SSL VPN from that public IP#.

So I can, and have, setup a second VPN purely for the purposes of getting a public static IP# ... which works. The problem is, I then must run the first SSL VPN "through the tunnel" of the second VPN. That fails: the first VPN needs to push a reference to a DNS server inside the firewall (to resolve intranet hostnames), and that's not getting back to my client/laptop (from which I need to run SSH). Worse yet, the F5VPN is a "blackbox": there is not apparently any way to debug into it (from userland, anyway).

In other words ... I gotta get a public static IP# for my client/laptop! Since I posted this question Monday (17 Nov), I'm ready to ping an admin:

contact [a] freedompop admin here on the [forum] to get that kind [of] information.

There are three admins: Jorge M, JasmineS, and Lolabee

Would any one of those admins in particularly be better to contact? I.e., who is most likely to both know what I'm talking about and know how to find the answer?
    edited November 2014 #12
    Jorge M(orales). His icon has the Eiffel Tower in it.
    Tom Roche said:

Is there a way for a Hub Burst user to [...] get a static/unchanging public IP# from FreedomPop? If so, how? and how much would that cost?

contact [a] freedompop admin here on the [forum] to get that kind [of] information.

Tom Roche said:

Would any one of those admins in particularly be better to contact?

Jorge M(orales).

Thanks for the pointer. I PMed him.
    Tom Roche said:

[contact] Jorge M(orales).

Tom Roche said:

Thanks for the pointer. I PMed him.

FWIW I PMed (==private messaged) Morales on 20 Nov 2014 (IIRC) but never got a reply.