Using Franklin U600 USB with a 3G router

ElseeseaElseesea Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
I'd like to use my Franklin U600 USB with a 3G router (e.g., http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-MR3020-Wireless-Portable-Router/dp/B00634PLTW). Has anyone used any freedompop USB stick with a 3G router successfully?

Comments

• @Elseesea‌

Unfortunately we are unable to support that router. So using our FreedomPop USB stick with that 3G router will not work. I hope this has answered your question!
    Don't forget to vote on our latest Poll for a chance to win some FreedomPop gear! :) https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/7284/where-do-you-take-your-portable-hotspot-device#latest
  • ElseeseaElseesea Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Thank you @Javonni_Freedompop‌! Fast response. I guess I'm wondering if there are any routers that anyone has used, whether Freedompop has tested it or not. Here's hoping someone has...
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Elseesea, If you are in a Sprint 4G LTE area there are currently three hotspots that you can use that could act as a router. They are the MIFI 500, 803s and LTE Hotspot 500. If you are in a Sprint 3G only then you would be able to use these devices with one of the paid plans starting at $3.99 for 500MB 4G/3G.

Using one of these devices you would not need the TP link router. The above devices would act as the router for connecting to Freedompop. You would also be able to connect these devices directly to tablets or laptops via the usb connection and would still be able to connect other devices wirelessly.

Is the WAN/LAN port on the TP router necessary for how you wanted to use it?
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you need to use your USB stick with a wireless router, you will have to bridge your connection to ethernet on a laptop or desktop, and then connect a Cat-5 cable to your router in the GATEWAY port and then you should be able to get internet. Or if you are using your laptop computer, you are able to use your USB stick and use something like connectify or an ad-hoc connection to use your u600 as WiFi
  • Jean KurniawanJean Kurniawan Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    I was sent a Franklin U600 when I opened my account. I purchased a MiFi for home use. I'm really not tech savy at all, so my question is what is the difference/advantage between the two?
    Thanks
    Jean
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Jean Kurniawan The U600 is used by plugging the device into your computer or laptops USB port. You can only use the U600 to connect one device to the internet.

The Mifi can also be used with the USB plug and can also act as a router to connect up to 9 other devices to the hotspot via wifi connection.

Hope this helps.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can use the PC that the U600 is plugged into as a hotspot...or tethered to another pc...But I am pretty sure it needs to be Bluetooth enabled to use the hotspot...(you'd be sharing, using your Bluetooth connection)

Just an idea???

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2014 #9
    @Elseesea
    I did some research for you last night and I found a few router that are compatible with the u600.....but they require a firmware update...(Cradlepoint routers)

U600 Router Compatibility & Required Firmware Versions:

CTR500 needs-------Firmware 1.7.2

PHS300 needs-------Firmware 2.5.4

MBR900 needs-------Firmware 1.7.2

MBR1000 needs-------Firmware 1.7.2

MBR1200 needs-------Firmware 1.7.2

CTR350 needs-------Firmware 2.5.4 (***IMPORTANT: the U600 will only work in 3G mode on the CTR350, since this router is NOT 4G-capable***)

NexAira BC2 needs-------Firmware 1.2.3.20

Hope this was what your looking for?

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @‌Aleesea
    Any router can be used if you use a PC to bridge the modem to the router.

Will that work for you? What are devices you trying to connect to the router?

You can use the PC that the U600 is plugged into as a hotspot...or tethered to another pc...But I am pretty sure it needs to be Bluetooth enabled to use the hotspot...(you'd be sharing, using your Bluetooth connection)

Just an idea???

@djinks‌
    read above.......But Nice video!!!!

• netomxnetomx Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I will do some tests, hopefully tomorrow @ Texas. I have that router with OpenWRT and *somewhat* succeded with the Sierra 250u. Will give you more details as I make it work.
  • netomxnetomx Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Confirmed, I have used a custom OpenWRT distribution and it works! I just tried 3g, I was not in a WiMAX city
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    I know this post is old, but I was able to get my U602 and U770 to work with this router with OpenWRT! I am still having issues with the U600, even though it supposed to support it out of the box.
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @Adolfo Galvan
    What is the advantage of the Cradelpoint over just using an LTE phone with a third-party hotspot?