**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Cyanogenmod?

Elliot HuffmanElliot Huffman FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 18
Hi, Internet,

I am interested in installing the cyanogenmod onto my SIII. I was wondering before I do it if there are any settings that I need to take from my phone so that I can connect to the freedom pop virtual network and still get service?

I am not worried about voiding warranties (I don't need no stinkin warranties - treasure of the sierra madre_mexican outlaws)

Best Answer

Answers

• Ali Ali FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Elliot_Labs‌ If you want cyanogenmod, go ahead. You won't need anything transferred as long as you're updating your PRL and profile afterwards. Remember that a lot of people complain that cyanogenmod doesn't let the freedompop messaging app run so if that happens, use your own sip client if you're adventurous or backup and restore your rom if it doesn't work out.

Good luck :-)
    -Internet
  • Elliot HuffmanElliot Huffman FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 18
    Sorry, I do not quite know what the PRL and SIP acronyms stand for. Do yo mean profile as in the android user profile?
  • Marcus (Phone, Last Day: 28th)Marcus (Phone, Last Day: 28th) FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 0
    Elliot be careful of trying to change Roms on an S3. If the Samsung Knox Bootloader is on your device, any attempt to flash to a new one that may try to overwrite the bootloader could well end with a bricked phone. Do plenty of research before changing out your rom.
  • VolarixVolarix FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 30
    Just a heads up, I believe some have mentioned you have to manually install a cellular data APN for LTE to work on Cyanogenmod with Freedompop (and other Sprint MVNOs). Google it and I'm sure you'll find the thread on XDA forums.

What I did instead with my SIII was root it using Towelroot and then uninstalled all the bloatware (all the Samsung and Sprint stuff).
  • BeejBeej FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    I'm running Wicked X on my S III. It seems to get along pretty well with the messaging app. However, not all ROMs have the PRL and Profile updates available. My first ROM I had when I switched to Freedompop didn't have them.

Don't worry too much about bricking the phone. The S III is really hard to brick. Follow instructions on XDA and you'll be fine.

Back up any files or photos that aren't already backed up. All the crucial stuff for the phone to actually work carry over from one ROM to another. I've found stuff that I was sure would have been deleted in my new ROM before. Android isn't as secure as everyone would hope.

My only complaint with Wicked X is I seem to have a good delay on my calls regardless of how good my signal is.
    @Marcus (Phone, Last Day: 28th)‌ Bricking the phone is not an issue. I have experience in ROMs. Thanks for the warnings :)

@Ali ‌ Thanks for the APNs. I am planning on copying the APK from the stock ROM to the new ROM so that I do not have issues. Is tethering included on the free plan?

@Beej‌ Thanks for the info.

Would I need to backup my PRL or is there a location from which I can get it for freedom pop?

Just some info, I am going to wipe the phone clean when I do this (or at least I will try) so I do not care about file backup.
    On second thought I might root it and do a whole device makeover. Possibly...
  • djinksdjinks FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭
    @Elliot_Labs‌
    Tetherings is a service you can add to your data plan, called FreedomPop Wifi Hotspot (3.99/mo). It is also included in the FreedomPop Phone Premier service bundle (9.99/mo)

http://www.freedompop.com/acct_services.htm
    @djinks‌ Thx for the info!
    @Elliot_Labs‌ You could get tethering for free if you use n.f6.ispsn for the tethering APN ;)

-The interwebz
    @Ali ‌ Really? Will I be charged in the future? Is that a bug? Are there any strings attached?

That sounds to good to be true.
    @Elliot_Labs‌ They won't be able to charge you since they won't know you're tethering. Just remember use a VPN and you're definitely safe lol.
    @Ali ‌ I guess I will have to rev my VPN server up :) Hey Ali, Is it native tethering?
    @Elliot_Labs‌ For me the Native tethering app works perfectly. w00t lol. You probably can get pldanet working or TrevEMod if you get an error 67
    @Ali ‌ Thanks for the info :smile:
    No worries :-)
    How does Google's new messaging app work on Cyanogen Mod?
    @Ali ‌ Is it possible to get the stock ROM for the S3? I want to experiment in making my own ROM and would like to be able to reflash the stock ROM if something goes wrong. Thanks! Also I received my SIII and there are a bunch of scratches on the camera so I can't take clear pictures.
    When I said stock I meant the freedom pop stock ROM.