**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. The free trial lasts for 30 days, after which you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY
If you have not recently performed a Carrier Reset to your mobile device, we recommend doing so to ensure that your FreedomPop service is operating to its best capability. This does not cause the loss of any information saved on your mobile device. You can find instructions by selecting the following link: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3017/

For additional topics related to your concern, please visit our online Self-Help Knowledge Base at https://support.freedompop.com

HTC EVO 4G: WiFi HotSpot tethering? Or Not?

I got a couple HTC EVO 4G through the "beta program" offer from FP, about 6 weeks ago. In the offer, it talked about the FreedomPop Phone Premier service, which enables using the phone as a HotSpot.

I have not been able to figure out how to turn on the HotSpot feature. Found a how-to video in FP Support, but the directions are not for the HTC EVO 4G, and there is no way to follow those steps.

If I look under the Services for my device, it says I have the Premier service, and it explicitly lists WiFi Hotspot tethering. . .
FreedomPop Tethering

Turn your phone into a hotspot and connect up to 8 devices anywhere you go
  • Access the internet anywhere
  • No need for an additional hotspot device
  • Stay connected even when WiFi is unavailable

If I look under Device Support for my device, it says FP does NOT support tethering.
freedompop.com/faq/can-the-freedom-phone-act-as-a-hotspot?categoryId=22177943&categoryTitle=HTC%20EVO%204G&articleId=27149528

So which is it? If I really DO have the feature, how can I use it? If I do NOT have the feature, why am I being charged for a service I cannot use? (And why did FP advertise the feature when selling me the device???!!!)

Any help is appreciated.

Ken

Comments

• Ali Ali FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Ken,

That FAQ question is actually a little outdated. We do offer an individual WiFi Hotspot service as well as the service bundled into Premier.

To use it, go to Settings -> Tethering -> Check the box to turn it on. Or if you have the Sprint Hotspot app use that.
  • Bro. KenBro. Ken FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    Hi Ali,

Thanks for the suggestions, but on my phone, the only Setting item related to Tethering is USB Tethering. And I don't have Sprint HotSpot App (or any other HotSpot app) on my phone either. I looked on play.google.com, and found MANY HotSpot apps, but none from Sprint, and it looks like they may require rooting my phone or paying some additional (non FP) subscription fee.

Any ideas?

Ken

Try to find pdanet and enable it. No root req'd and it's ffree
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pdanet+
    This item isn't available on your carrier.
    @Ali‌ , what's that supposed to mean ? Did I access something wrong ?
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, & 803S
    Ali, I couldn't find pdanet in the Play Store. Looking with a web browser, play.google.com says pdanet+ is incompible with my devices; I added it to my wishlist anyway from the web browser, and then tried again from the EVO in the Play Store, in my wishlist. Now it says the item isn't available on my carrier.

Ideas?

Thanks,
    Ken

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bro. Ken
    If you have this apart of you service plan...make sure you have it on 4g...this will not work on 3g....also make sure you have plenty of data left before you attempt...

I have 6 of these phones and I can tell you that the the tethering is very very buggy...4g wimax on these phones is so up and down with the signal, you never get a good teather...

If you don't have the premier package freedompop will charge you extra if you want to use this feature....there is suppose to be a new app used just for hotspots...there is suppose to be

the little light will come on when you connect a usb to your computer from your phone....(forgot to mention this)-I noticed its not highlighted in your pic...It will also ask you when you first connect on the phone-what your going to use the usb for....

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

@njfulwider5, I do have the Premier service, so *should* have the HotSpot + WiFi tethering ability. I do not want to USB-tether (doubt it would work anyway with my WiFi iPad 2).

There's no 4G signal at my home, so I usually leave the 4G antenna off (to save battery). I can test again with the 4G antenna on, but are you saying that I will need an actual 4G signal for the WiFi HotSpot feature to be enabled at all?

And then there is the question of how to turn the HotSpot on - there's no setting for it on my phone, and all the HotSpot apps I've tried are either not compatible with my phone (e.g., requires Android 4.x or higher), "not available with my service" (whatever that means), or they do not work. I have not tried the paid apps (why am I paying FP for the feature already and then I still need to buy a 3rd-party app???!!!).

A couple of the free HotSpot apps *almost* worked. I could see a new SSID from my iPad (usually something like "EVO xxxxx" with some number instead of "x"), and I could partly connect by entering the default password "1234567890". But the connection never really completed (just spinning and no IP address, etc.), although the HotSpot app said there was 1 connected client. Also, no matter what I entered into the HotSpot app for SSID and password, the broadcast SSID from the HotSpot and the password never changed from the defaults.

Thanks for any help!

Ken (not BroKen, but phone is! :# )
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    take a peek at this
    it says sprint..but we use the same airwaves....

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_related_to_WiFi_hotspots_on_your_HTC_EVO_4G/WFAQ_542_GKB47768-Trend?INTNAV=SU:DP:OV:TSIS:HtcEvo4g:FaqsRelatedToWifiHotspotsOnYourHtcEvo4g

I have never had any luck with a hotspot on these...I didn't even know it was possible till I read the above...each time we need the net...we just hook up the usb and the Hotspot was available..

I'll do some more research...I'll also test one of the HTc I have here at home...see if i can figure out how to hotspot

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

I know that the dev team has a android app...I have read where other members claim they got the app from the dev team...I could never find the app in the play store..but the other member had the pictures.....

@Jorge M.@lolabee‌ @JasmineS‌ @Javonni_Freedompop‌
    is there a freedompop app for hotspots....other members have claimed there was

@njfulwider5, yeah the tutorial at this Sprint link: Set_up_WiFi_hotspot looks great. Just need to figure out how to get those options to appear in my Settings.

I'm still hoping . . . :)

Ken
    I am trying right now..and I can only get it to come up when I hook it to my PC...

I wonder if the freedompop Rom is limiting this feature to tether only?

If the FP ROM is limiting the feature to (USB) tether only, then they need to stop advertising the feature as WiFi HotSpot (and charge accordingly).

To be clear, if FP cannot get this working on the device, plan, and service that I paid them for (which advertised this feature), they will need to issue a refund.

Having this turn into a DIY project is annoying enough. But false advertising is seriously wrong.

Ken
    Funny how the forum software (or humanware?) changed a word in my previous post to "****". Makes it look like I was saying bad words, when all I said was the most common word meaning the opposite of "true".

(I wonder if this post will get asterisks, other than the ones I put in quotes?) :wink:
    Lolol @Bro. Ken‌ the swear detector likes **** ing posts lol.

Try this - http://support.sprint.com/support/tutorial/Set_up_WiFi_hotspot/17854-272

take a peek at this
    it says sprint..but we use the same airwaves....

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_related_to_WiFi_hotspots_on_your_HTC_EVO_4G/WFAQ_542_GKB47768-Trend?INTNAV=SU:DP:OV:TSIS:HtcEvo4g:FaqsRelatedToWifiHotspotsOnYourHtcEvo4g

I have never had any luck with a hotspot on these...I didn't even know it was possible till I read the above...each time we need the net...we just hook up the usb and the Hotspot was available..

I'll do some more research...I'll also test one of the HTc I have here at home...see if i can figure out how to hotspot

link is with the link above....

I have tried everything on these things,,,,,,The Htc is one of freedompops older phones...might be why I only have usb tethering

maybe I am missing something....let see if a admin is available to take a peek at your account?

@Jorge M.@lolabee‌ @JasmineS‌ @Javonni_Freedompop‌

are we missing something.....I have not had a time to check out advertising, but I can only get the phone to usb tether...no hotspot....Bro.ken is the OP

@Ali, yeah, that link is on one of the pages that Joe linked to. Tutorial is great - just wish I had those options in my Settings screens!

Also, for the record, the swear-detector put **** in for the word "false". And in case it just did it again in this post, that word is spelled f-a-l-s-e. (Why the h-e-c-k did it think that was swearing???) :)

@Joe, thanks for trying on your end. Since you have some HTC EVO 4G from FP, what do you see if you log on to your FP account and look under Services ... Premier? I'm guessing that like me, it says you have (or can add) the Premier Service, and there are paragraphs explaining each of the benefits included with Premier. And one of those paragraphs says "Tethering . . . turn your phone into a hotspot and connect up to 8 devices . . ." without once using the term "USB". If they really only meant the USB tethering, then there was a BIG mistake in the way they wrote this up.

Do you see what I see? (Hmmm, that phrase keeps going through my mind lately.)

Ken
    Yes i see the same thing...I never tried to use hotspot on this one....I just tether when we go camping...and even tethering is iffy..

any admins?

edited December 2014 #19
    @Bro. Ken
    tethering is using the usb and hotspot is using the airwaves...like a modem..
    wonder why it says tethering....use your hotspot on 8 devices? I am going to have to do some more looking at my account....

i know if you have the unlimited everything...you loose this feature when you use 1gb of the 4g/3g data and it goes down to 3g only?

your connected to 4g correct...your pictures above show your connected to wifi..

you'll see a 4g where the wifi symbol is...or 3g.....

over to the left you'll just see 4g antennta on...or connected...even if your connected,,,and you near a wifi...it will go to wifi first

it stays connected so it don't loose the Ip address(the antenna)-I am not see the 4g antenna on--in your picture?

you can only use your hotspot or tethering when using and connected to 4g

I just sent you a pm....i used the one we had already(from the SD card)...might be easier to communicate after 5....

@Bro. Ken‌ You could try TrevEMod... you wouldnt even need a tethering plan!
    @Ali, I think TrevEMod requires rooting the phone, yes? I've been thinking I may have to go that route if I want to use this as a HotSpot. Would much rather just get that service from FP and pay the "extra" $10-ish per month. We'll see.
    Bro.ken
    I know we are chatting in pm...But ali might have a way out for you....You want to tether/hotspot on 3g---You can not tether or Hotspot using freedompop...it wont allow anything under 4g....The TreveMod, allows 3g tether, could come in handy if your out of 4g range....

Just a thought.....

if you pay the extra for unlimited...your still going to loose your tether/hotpost after 1gb of use...and than your stuck at 3g speeds and no tether...

anyway--lets finish this chat over there.. :)

@Bro. Ken‌ If you're on the plan... Try https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.foxfi&hl=enthis. Otherwise use towel root or framaroot to root your phone and install the TrevEMod APK. It will save you $10 monthly the second way ;)
    Will rooting your freedompop phone void warranty?

@njfulwider5‌ Rooting voids warranty.