MiFi Rebooting due to firmware update

I have figured out what causes the rebooting. The device does not reboot when in 3G mode, only when the device is in LTE. More importantly it only reboots when the device is switching from one of the 3 LTE bands Sprint is using. This is why some folks don't have an issue and others only have the issue sometimes. If you are in a coverage area that only has Band 25, you probably don't see this issue. If you are in a Sprint Spark market like Chicago, NYC, LA, etc yours probably does this non stop. It will also depends on the location. As long as your device sits on one LTE band for an extended period of time, it won't reboot. The minute the band gets weak or overloaded the system will try to divert you over to another band that is less overloaded or that has better reception.

Hope this helps the admins convey this to the Manufacturer to help fix the software issue in the next update.

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the great post. This is an ongoing issue with Novatel and hopefully will be resolved soon. If your unit is faulty and you would like to exchange for a different device, an Admin can issue an RMA if you are eligible.
  • Mike ZingmanMike Zingman Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Ali,

I have not seen any updates on this issue. I also have the constant reboots. I am in a Sprint Spark market, so I am seeing this each time the device moves from one band to the other. If I lock my device to 3g it works fine (as expected). My question is:
    1) Has Novatel ever acknowledged this issue?
    2) If so, have they given a timeline when it will be resolved?
    3) If not, will this issue stop if I lock my MiFi to only one LTE band? (Just thinking here)
    Anybody? I would love to get back on LTE again.
    Should I try the 803S?
    Any way to have multiple devices on the same account?
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 354FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Mike Zingman
    Try setting it to one LTE band at a time in the device utility settings.

You can try each band one at a time and settle on whichever works best overall.

Later when the rebooting bug is fixed you can re-enable all bands.
    Any idea how to get the access password:

To continue, you must enter the Access Code(SPC or MSL) provided by Sprint.
  • James HowardJames Howard Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    After reading Craig Hunsberger's post, I figured out a fix for the re-booting issue with Firmware 2.1 for the mifi 500 hotspot. It involves disabling Bands 26 and Band 41 via the sprinthotspot web browser portal to the device. You need to have the MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) number for the mifi 500 in order to make these changes. I called freedompop and talked to tech support. At first the person said there was no MSL number for the hotspot, but I convinced him to submit a ticket requesting it. He said I would receive an email response in 24 hours. No email after 24 hours so I called back in and gave the tech support person the ticket number. They looked up the ticket and gave me the MSL number over the phone. Once I had that, I connected my laptop to the hotspot via wifi and typed in sprinthotspot in my web browser and hit enter. The password for the mifi 500 portal is admin if you have not changed it from the default. Click on settings on the left. Then click on the Mobile Network tab. Below that tab click on the Modem tab and then scroll down and click on Show Advanced Modem Configuration. You should then see a red button labeled "View/Edit Data Profile". Click on that and then on the web page that appears next scroll down to the section titled "LTE". This is where you can disable Band 26 and Band 41 by clicking in the box where the check mark is located. After you have done this scroll down to the end of the page where you will see a yellow button labeled "Edit". Click on it and it will ask you for the MSL number. Enter the 6 digit MSL number for your device and then click on "Save Changes". The device will then re-boot and apply the changes that you have made. After I disabled Bands 26 and 41, the device only operates on Band 25. The scanning feature for LTE Bands is disabled because there is only one band being used. My device has NOT re-booted once since I did this change over a month ago. Yeah! It does drop to 3G occasionally when the LTE signal on Band 25 is weak. I live in the sticks outside the DFW metroplex, so there is no Band 41 (Sprint Spark) out where I live. Band 25 is pretty good everywhere I travel in my truck. I leave my hotspot on the LTE preferred setting vs the LTE only or 3G only setting. 98% of the time the hotspot stays on the LTE network even though the signal does get pretty weak at times especially when I get close to my home. I hope this fix will help others. It is a good idea to print out a copy of the page where you are tweaking the settings for the tri-band modem before and after you make changes so you can always go back to the original settings if need be. Hopefully one day Sprint and Novatel will fix the bug in the LTE scanning function that is causing this device to re-boot so frequently.
  • Chien FChien F Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for posting the work-around. I was having reboot issues at certain spots on my commute route. Disabling bands 26 & 41 prevented the device from rebooting. Now, it is back to the same state before firmware 2.1 update.
  • James HowardJames Howard Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    That is great news Chien. I am glad the work-around has stabilized your mifi. Thank you for sharing your results. I hope that this bug will be fixed with the next firmware update.
  • comintelcomintel Posts: 354FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    I am worried that this bug may be a design limitation that may never be fully fixable via firmware. I suspect that it will cannot be fixed in this device (at least until a manufacturing change is made).

Rebooting may be the only way they could get it to switch bands at all and so nominally support Spark (in a crippled way).

Sprint has dropped this device from their lineup and this may be the reason why.

I think FreedomPop needs to start offering the Netgear Zing hotspot (and the Netgear 6100D home/office router for current Hub Burst users) to provide proper Spark triband support.
  • Justin  JaeckeJustin Jaecke Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    This still seems to be an issue. I just got a device and its rebooting all the time. worse in the car. How do I get the MSL?
  • monte.jeumonte.jeu Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    The MSL trick did not work for me. After setting it to only one band it still keeps rebooting on me. Only changing it to 3g only keeps it from rebooting. This is by far the worst mifi I've used so far.
  • supermarcosupermarco Posts: 26FreedomPop Newbie
    I tried disabling 26 and 41 as well. After the reboot I went to the debug screen and saw that band 41 was still active (the menu did say it was de-activated). I did a factory reset and not my device does not self-activate. Wish there was a way to go back to the old firmware