**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Why can't my number be ported in?

elcaleboelcalebo Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
Hi,

I'm a new FreedomPop customer and I'm trying to figure out how to port my old number in to FreedomPop. When I try to enter in my number, I get the following error message: "Given number is invalid or not eligible for porting." But I can't figure out why I'm getting errors.

Here's my situation:
- My old number is with T-Mobile.
- The account is still active.
- I called T-Mobile and they said they would happily release the number, so long as I gave Freedom Pop my account number and password.
- I gave this information to Freedom Pop on the phone.

The really perplexing is that when I talked to Freedom Pop on the phone they also agreed it shouldn't be a problem. They took down my T-Mobile information and said they would get back to me. But then I got an e-mail that simply said this: "The error message "Given number is invalid or not eligible for porting." means the device is not eligible for porting. Unfortunately, we are not able to port the number over. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused."

This doesn't exactly satisfy me because I haven't been given any explanation for why the number can't be ported in. It seems from looking at the situation that it should be A-OK to port the number. Moreover, the people on the phone agreed. So can anyone help me out? Why am I getting this error, and can it be fixed?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
- Caleb

Comments

• Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @elcalebo I will be sending you a pm and see if I can find an answer for your number porting problem.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @elcalebo‌ Could you DM me the first 6 of your number?
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Ali (away) Already checked Caleb's number and the problem is the number is not in a rate center that Freedompop can port in from. If you have any suggestions for a cheap number forwarding service I am sure he would appreciate the information.

FYI ring.to and google voice do not look like an option.
    @Richard Allen‌ Thanks for the heads up. I really think FP needs to use Sprint for getting numbers registered lol...

I think personally Ring.to and GV are really the only good services... others not so much.
    @Ali I agree with you regarding ring.to and GV. But, (in most cases) they have the same rate center issues as FP.

Using Sprint would probably help with the rate center issues. Unfortunately I don't think Sprint wants to act as a number wholesaler. More than likely they also use one or more wholesalers for their number. Just guessing not positive on where their numbers come from.
  • Lman BizLman Biz Posts: 138FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    I commented in another post about porting, but here is some good info on porting. Notice, it says it should take about 2.5 hours to port a number, kinda of what I said in my other post. If it isn't done in a day, there is a problem that needs to be addressed. This link is from the fcc about porting a number. If your number is still under a contract of any sort, for example, still attached to a phone you are paying on, it may not be "portable" at the time. Also, you must realize that many of the people on the other end of the line are button pushers, and will give you just about any answer, because they only check one level deep. Maybe your number is "in contract" of some sort, and can't be moved at this time, for example, if you are still making payments on a phone.

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/wireless-local-number-portability-wlnp#whatis

Google voice in my opinion, is the way to go! If you use it with hangouts, you have a pretty robust system where you can do almost anything. Port your number to google voice, then you can use the FreedomPop phone as your forwarding phone. This is what I personally use. I always give out my GV number to everyone. I think it is $20 to port to Google Voice, but that is a one time fee, and you will always have the same phone number. I personally have never done a port to Google Voice, but keep in mind, if there is an issue, there may not be anyone to physically call on the phone to fix the situation. ;-)

Lman
    @Lman Biz‌ Google Voice won't work because Rich and I checked and since GV has no business outside of where FP is... it won't work :\
    @Ali ??????? Porting a number to Google Voice has nothing to do with Freedompop at all in this case. He is porting from T-Mobile to Google voice, and would simply use the Freedompop phone number as a forwarding phone. It could be any phone he forwards to, so FP is not a factor. So maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying. :-) Now if for some reason he can't port his particular number from Tmobile to Google Voice, that is a different issue.
    @Lman Biz The problem with elcalebo's phone number is not a contract issue. The problem is that the number is in a rate center that is not eligible to be ported to Freedompop. There is nothing that FP can do that would be able to bring the number in. The problem is that Bandwidth (FP's number wholesaler) does not have a presence in that rate center. Google voice will have the same issue because they also use Bandwidth for their numbers.

I was hoping that there might be someone out there that would have some good suggestions for a cheap number forwarding service. At this point that is the only option I can come up with.
    @Richard, ok, I can buy that...for now. haha. ;-) I will look into Bandwidth and probably learn a thing or two. ;-) Then I will become smarter! Thanks for the explanation! I am already smarter. haha