**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Smart Phone Newby doesn't know how to access Sprint Network

I'm sure its just my lack of knowledge of these phones, but I can only make phone calls if within wifi range. How do I make my phone roll to the Sprint network when out of wifi range?

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jennifer Lucas‌ If your phone won't work without WiFi, please try the following -

1. Dial ##72786# in the native dialer and the SCRTN message should appear. Enter your MSL if needed (found by clicking here)

2. Your device will restart, proceed to unlock the device

3. The Hands free reactivation will occur, its going to update your PRL and Profile. If it fails then update it manually Settings -> System Update -> PRL and Profile

4. If you lost any data then please re install the My FreedomPop app and the FreedomPop Messaging app.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jennifer Lucas

before you do the MSL thing..please try a couple of other things.....Unless the phone has never worked????-even after the MSL....follow directions below

dbl check your settings-compare them to this post

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/5346/new-android-app-update-version-29-15-06-145-1205-updated-12-5-14/p1

if your still having issues...

did you do a profile and PRL update?

Just go to settings on the phone...and find Update phone.....

if you have the phone that doesn't have Profile and PRL update....

Go to the native dialer...and click....##UPDATE# and send, you phone will restart and it should update the profile and PRL(Make sure your connected to a good wifi connection)

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

@njfulwider5‌ The SCRTN update automatically upgrades the PRL and Profile.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    So does ##update# with out a MSL number :)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

@njfulwider5‌ Every time I do it on my S2 and friends phones it just disappears and doesn't do anything
    sometimes it works and sometime sit does...every time I do it on my friends s2, it works..

Sorry, should say--Sometimes it works and Sometimes it doesn't......

might give it a shot if these is no MSL code

• Jennifer LucasJennifer Lucas Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Thank you. I just tried your suggestions. I will test it out the next time I leave the house (later today). I'll let you know. I didn't even know what you meant by "native dialer" so I'm sure I will have more questions later. I'm no fool. I just don't know anything about mobile phones. I'm just someone who prefers real face time to electronics and find myself in a bit of a time warp.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jennifer Lucas‌ ,
    There is a dialer in the freedompop app that is normally used to dial numbers.
    The 'native' dialer is icon with phone handset with green color. Dialing phone numbers from here is iffy at working. Some versions support using it others do not. Anyway when a special code is dialed to fix phone, use this one.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    I might have the pictures of the native dialers icon on a android....not sure if this is universal....(rich explained it perfect)

I should have explained it a little clearer...sorry about that....

• Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @Jennifer Lucas‌ , a restate the Victory does the same thing with the Victory Phone without the ##update# deal. The best success will always be in 4g or WiFi when you do this.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
    @Brian McPherson
    ##update# usually work for the Glalaxy, I am trying to figure out the deal without going as extreme as MSL....But thanks, You Rock!!!

sometimes if your phone has the stock rom, you can find it in settings too...

click menu...settings.....Update Phone>>>>>Update profile, and PRL....

I figured maybe if ##update# would be a little easier, than trying to find it in settings...

But talking to a few members that own this phone, I was told that a reset does not update the profile and PRL , and Settings is hard to find...

That it is either ##update#, or as Ali mentioned if you receive a MSL number,,,

• Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    You reset the PRL and Profile alone with other update by just restarting the Victory Phone, this only applies to Victory phone. All the other phones work the way you say it does. I own a Victory Phone.
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
    edited January 2015 #15
    Yep, but there are 2 different ones floating....I have dealt with both....
    It could be any of them.....
    Just as long as you try and use the MSL or a hard reset as a last resort...

@Brian McPherson
    so each time you shut your phone off at night, your phone updates its profile and PRL? does it do this when you have it set to Fast Boot? That's gotta byte...just when you find the right profile---bam, you loose it when you have to restart you phone.....(your stuck fine tuning your app all over again...)

I do not know about the fast boot, I do know it always have done this sense I had it. I think it build in the customer FP did before it was deliver to me. I do not shut down my phone. I kind it plus in all the time when not using it.
    [email protected]

• djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @Brian McPherson‌ You have a FreedomPop branded Victory? Then you have the custom FreedomPop ROM. I understand all the FreedomPop branded phones will update PRL and Profile when booted.
    @djink...Not all freedompop branded phones...None of the ones I have...

But at the moment I only have HTC Evo 4g....

I think this is something they only used on the Galaxy Victory-- he has shown me a video of his updating the profile when he restarted

• djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @njfulwider5‌ Thanks, good to know.
    It's the same thing Verizon phones do when they restart... Their PRL and profiles update automatically from the sim.
    Thank you so much for the suggestions.

Well I've done the scrtn update as suggested a few times. I can still only place and receive calls when in wifi range. Last night I had a flat tire and was stranded along the roadside. I had to walk along an icy road shoulder (with my cane) and ask complete strangers who were doing a car repair on the shoulder. They were thankfully good people (as most people are) and let me use their phone to call for assistance. I realize I am quite vulnerable in a situation like this. I don't get around very well and if I would for instance slip on the ice I don't have the strength to get back up. There I would be helpless like a turtle on its back. The only reason I have a phone is for roadside assistance and mine was useless. I need more help. I need to be able to depend on my phone. I hate to give up and pay for an expensive plan. Any suggestions?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015 #22
    I compared all the MVNO's on the Sprint system looking at the lowest cost ones with 50 or less minutes per month. Freedomopop wins at $0, next was ringplus at about $2.47 per month, with 50 minutes included. They use CDMA for their phone calls. I find that coverage more complete than the 3G/4G signals needed for data & VoIP.

If needed, an emergency cell to reach out to connect with friends to assist. Is the way to go. I'd prefer to use CDMA over VoIP, cause I don't get the choice of where to stand when calling. Third place was about $7-8 per month. Most of rest are over $10 for minimum costs.

I believe that ringplus will accept deactivated FP phones in their system. The drawback is having to wait up to 30 days between deactivating FP and being able to activate at ringplus.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • thewampthewamp Posts: 77FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for the information. I think I have been working with you via E-Mails relative to getting our 4 Galaxy Victory phones working on Cell Tower signals.
    Anyway, 3 of the 4 phones were to be used by people with disabilities as is the case with Jennifer Lucas. It appears that the VOIP technology that FreedomPop uses would be very dangerous for the 3 of us to depend on.
  • thewampthewamp Posts: 77FreedomPop Newbie
    I logged into Overdrive Pro Hotspot account from this Victory and noticed WiFi symbol change to 3G symbol! So I disabled WiFi. Then, I logged into this forum and typed this with Victory. This first time any of my 4 Victory phones received Mar 2, 2015, have connected to Cell tower!!!!!
    I got frustrated when nothing I tried worked so I just stopped using the phone. After I got a check engine light in my car I realized I needed to resolve the issue with my phone. I finally got someone who sent me a code so I could do a complete factory reset. Yay!!!! my phone works......But now I have a new mystery.

I can call anywhere but my home. I don't have the number (or any number) blocked. The place I would most likely call is home if I have car trouble.

This makes no sense to me. I've tried dialing the number. I've tried adding my number to the contacts list and calling from there. I've deleted the contact and added it again.

It rings on the mobile phone but nothing on the home phone. No ring...no voice mail...nothing. My home phone is working fine. I called it repeatedly from different phones to test it.

Any thoughts on this mystery?