**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Error System Restore Required - Overdrive bricked, FreedomPop tech support can't/won't

I've had an Overdrive Pro for close to two years. I'm on the 3G/4G pro data plan with rollover and have a bit less than 8GB on my account. It's been handy to have a non-AT&T-based internet alternative when traveling, or even at work where I can't connect a personal device to the company network.

About a month ago I turned Overdrive on to use it and immediately after the Sprint logo on the screen I saw "Error System Restore Required". After poking around on the internet for a time, found a few old threads that led to dead ends and learned that Sierra Wireless has sold the product line that includes this device to NetGear. No support on the NetGear site. I also found another thread on this issue here on this forum (that was a dead end in November). After reading all this and not finding any solutions I called the first customer support number this past Monday. After some time (many minutes) I got to a technician named Jaron who told me that they'd never heard of this before (I mentioned the thread here). After some fooling around we determined that even plugged into a Windows computer via USB, the Overdrive Pro was uncommunicative. He said he'd call back in a couple of hours. This was Monday. No call back.

This morning I got an email from a Tiffany that said that there was nothing wrong with my account (not that I though there was) and that my device "may be defective" and recommending that I "upgrade to an LTE device".

So, I called back....wondering how we got from "I'll call you back after I consult with the development team" to "sorry, I can't help". After spending close to two hours on the phone today (thank goodness for Bose me2i headphones which at least let me do other stuff comfortably while I was on hold) the basic answer I got was "the email you got from Tiffany was from the development team" and "we don't know how to fix it" and "you can't replace this device on this account - you have to get a new account" and "there is no way to save the rolled over data you have" AND, to add insult to injury, the sales guy I talked to offered me higher prices on new devices than those I had in my email inbox. So.... about a year's worth of rolled over data (I only used the service occasionally) is forfeit. (The "share with friends" thing, I also learned, is limited to 50 MB per day, so that's not a viable path to move the data I've paid for to another account.)

My conclusion - unless someone here has a better idea - is that there is no reason I should sign up again with FreedomPop. They cannot deactivate one device on an account and issue another (which makes me wonder how warranty claims are handled) so anything anyone has on an account is lost if a device dies, is lost or is stolen. How silly - I told the people - all three of them- that I spoke with today in that two hours on the phone - how untenable is this? Obviously repeat business is not part of their business model.

Anyone here have a better idea? I'll miss the alternative internet access, but I just don't see why I should send FreedomPop another dime.

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BEC‌

I don't have any answer to your question....But you was miss informed on the freedom friends..

Take a peek at this post I wrote a few months back....

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/5422/tips-tricks-of-the-freedom-friends-get-an-exrta-500-mb-a-month-the-limitation-of-gifting/p1

on the errors....

You should take to @Ali‌

he has some cool trick that can work on errors like this sometimes....

if you want to troubles shoot a little deep, I have a few tips...Just @sign me njfulwider5 if ali's trick doesn't work for you...

Sorry for the Run around......

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Ali Ali FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BEC Usually when someone upgrades from the Overdrive to an 803s or MiFi LTE, all the rollover data transfers over. You can get really great prices on these devices from Newegg. As for your device issues, are you able to do a factory reset?

Lastly for the Freedom Friends, it isn't 50MB/day, it's 500MB monthly extra. Just a heads up ;)

Please let us know what happens next :)
  • BECBEC FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 0
    @Ali - the factory reset has no effect. I tried that before I even started searching the web, never mind long long times on hold.

How does one do an upgrade? Again - what I was told was there was no way to put a new device on an existing account - I had to start a new one with a new email. This was the response I got from "Amy" on the phone and "Tiffany" via email - both yesterday. And they told me they had no means to move data from one account to another.

If I could get another device for a reasonable price (not another Overdrive Pro - though it was nice while it worked) and attach it to my existing account I'd happily continue with FreedomPop. I was told repeatedly yesterday that this was not possible. I'm all ears if you have better information.

On data sharing with "friends" I specifically asked "Cheryl", whom "Amy" sent me to (and who took another 70 minutes to get to me) about that Freedom Friends data limit - she put my on hold for at least another 10 minutes to look it up or ask - then told me 50 MB per day. What I was considering at that point was starting a new account, making it a "friend" of the current one and giving all the data from the current one to the new one....but at 50 MB per day it would take a long time to transfer 8 GB.

But it sounds like you (and @njfulwider5) are thinking of the ability to earn free data from sharing. That's not what I was concerned about. I wanted to know how much I could give at any one time.

So..... if there's a way to actually get another device and attach it to my existing account and options (so I can keep my 8 GB of data until I need it) I'd love to know how.

If there is some other way to take the currently insensible Overdrive Pro and revive it (I can fish it out of the electronics recycling bag it's currently in), then I'd be good with that as well.

Failing that I'll be closing my account and not looking back. I will go until the next time I get charged (January 24th) to get this sorted.

Thanks for the comebacks, both of you. I was hoping starting a new thread on this would work better than it has for poor Eduardo Sontag, who posted in this sub-forum here the same problem with his Overdrive Pro in November. So far two of the three replies he's gotten were from me, and I certainly have nothing to offer in the way of help....just commiseration.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my post, it explains what the limitations are on gifting data...this is the only way you can do this...and its only 100mbs per account, per month...You can send out 500mbs in one day, as long as you had 5 account you wanted to gift it to.

A admin can combined your account on the same account--easily..

but, you can not share data, between device on the same account....You also loose the ability to gift the 100mbs a month, per account....to the other account...There will be one device that is the master. That device would be the device, that received any type of gifting or completed offers...the other one would only benefit from have 10 freedom friends...

That being said....If you contact a admin, and let them know what you plan to do with your account(minus sharing data on the same account), because it is not possible...a admin can transfer over you saved data...and combined account...

The admins are

@Jorge M. @lolabee‌ @JasmineS‌ @Javonni_Freedompop‌

and you already chatted with customer service....

You best bet is to PM a admin and give them the detail of what your trying to do.

Click one of the names I just put a @ sign in front of...should take you to the profile page of the person...find the box that says message--top left side-see pic

hope this helped clear it up a little?

feel free to PM me also, if you have further questions--I can help bring in the admins if we need to

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

I was only thinking about the gifting of data as a way around the "one device, alive or dead per email/account" - a way to give my currently orphaned data to another account. Your explanation just reinforces that that approach is not practical. Data sharing is currently not important to me otherwise.

What I REALLY would prefer to do is just get another hotspot-type device to replace the dead OverdrivePro on the same account. as one would do from any other internet or cell service provider when the current device of record is dead, lost, stolen, etc.

FreedomPop "customer service" told me (several times) that was not possible. I've seen suggestions in other threads on this board that admins can somehow do it anyway. Are any of the four admins you suggest particularly adept at solving this particular problem?
    @BEC‌
    The admins here have to be one of the best in the Business. There great a problem solving. There are very forgiving in situations like this. If it wasn't for the admins here on the Forum, I doubt I would have stuck around as long as i have---I also like free plans...LOL :)

It don't hurt to ask. If one don't answer on Monday. You beset bet is send one a PM and go from there.

The gifting limitations kinda byte....The max limit you can have per month for Free is 1500 mbs combined. 500 free---500 freedom friends---500 gifted, if your friends are generous...or you have 5 account

if you decide to go with another Hotspot, just make sure you get a

Freedom Spot MiFi 500 (LTE)
    or
    Freedom Spot 803 S (LTE)

With wimax disappearing this year, it might be the better choice...

Good luck...and feel free to send me a message here @njfulwider5‌

Got an upgrade offer for an 803S in the email a couple of days ago (while on vacation in Hawaii!). I went ahead and ordered it because assuming it works this should do what I wanted to do in the first place - replace the dead Overdrive with a newer, more capable device. Tracking says it will be here next Thursday.

Hopefully I won't have the battery issues (and others) I'm seeing on the 803S subforum.

Before that I did have some PM exchanges with one of the admins who told me I could order on another account and he could switch it back to my current account. Again, we shall see if the upgrade actually turns out to be one.
    Well....the 803S came today. The first thing I did was plug it into its wall charger and the first thing I saw was "Error System Restore Required" (!!!). What the heck???

Not a good start.

I disconnected that and powered it up (battery at 10%), and then tethered it to my MacBook with another cable. It seems to be working. However while it shows up with my existing account, it does not seem to be connected to my existing data or data plan. So I guess I'm going to have to ask @Javonni_Freedompop‌ to do some behind the scenes trickery with accounts after all.

I just plugged it back into the charger that came with it and no error message for the moment.....

But it's plugged back into the Mac right now and seems to be charging. We shall see how much hassle it is to hook this new device (which IS on the same email as the dead OverdrivePro) to my existing data plan and saved data (just under 8GB).
  • RichardDellRichardDell FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    @BEC, if you got the 803S from Newegg, with the 2 Gig free trial, use that to open a new account, then swap your Overdrive and 803S between the two accounts, once you are sure you are happy with the 803S. Then be sure to downgrade the 2 Gig free trial to a free account.

To do the swap you need to contact an admin here. (I am nothing but another user, like you!)
  • Myrddin R EmrysMyrddin R Emrys FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    I got an 803s from FreedomPop, supposed to be a 4g upgrade from the previous one .. still using .. the new one came in and right off the bat, first power up, after the logo splash, Error System restore required
    They were no help, money's spent, no support and haven't found any way to do a System restore. When connected to windows pc, the computer thinks its operating normally .. for what that's worth. lol :: Appears that I paid for a nice electronic, fixed display, paperweight.