803S vs Photon...also...3g roaming?

themdgthemdg Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
Hi there. I have a question about hardware and services. I currently have the Photon Platinum device, which I use for connectivity once in a while. I've downgraded to the free 500MB currently, due to limited service in my area.

I'm looking at upgrading to the 803S, which gives me LTE access.

1) Any thoughts on ditching the Photon and using the 803S from an availability point of view?

2) The offer is including "free 3G roaming." I'm not sure what this means... Can I get some access on other carriers networks at a slower speed?

Thanks for any input.

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @themdg‌ If you are upgrading to the 803S, remember it will cost $50. The device is definitely available and ships out quick lately.

For the free 3G roaming, it simply means you're able to access 3G without needing to pay $3.99 monthly.

If you have any more questions about the upgrade, please let me know. Also, I do have a few questions about the email you got that I'd like to ask if you're okay with it in a Private Message. This way I can be sure I have the right answers :)
  • themdgthemdg Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    and by availability.. I mean network availability. I'd love to have a tiny bit of network coverage further out. Gotta capture that ingress portal. :)
    Thanks Ali. Yes, feel free to PM.
    Using the 803S will move me from the WiMAX network to the actual LTE network, right?
    @themdg‌ I love Ingress lolol. I think you should be good when it comes to coverage just as long as the coverage page says you're fine. You will be moved from WiMAX to 4G LTE and you will have 3G fallback as well.
    Do you happen to know what providers Sprint has for Roaming? Two times this week, my TMobile had 0 service at an Ingress portal, while friends ATT and Verizon has full bars. Frustrating...especially after showshoeing for 2 hours! Ha. Ingress is a problem.
    @themdg‌ Verizon Wireless and US Cellular are the big roaming providers. C-Spire is another one and same with some small rural carriers.

I don't think nationwide roaming is included with the 3G plan. Every time I am roaming on my Pro 500MB plan, I get no service.
    I'm on the 500MB plan too, but in the offer I see "Also included with this plan: Free 3G Nationwide Roaming". Maybe that's only if I upgrade to a roaming eligible plan... I'll find out.
    @themdg‌ Usually when FreedomPop says this it means Free "roaming" (more like access) to the Sprint 3G network in case LTE isn't available.

Back when I started over here, I got hit with an offer for the Samsung Galaxy SII Premium 1GB Plan for free, with "Free Nationwide Roaming on 3G" but then I found out they really just meant free 3G access and while I was on a Car trip to Canada I found out I couldn't roam onto Verizon or US Cellular.
  • Moises CardonaMoises Cardona Posts: 46FreedomPop Newbie
    FreedomPop should add roaming since Sprint network is still not that good in several places...
    @Moises Cardona‌ FreedomPop would, and it used to do so, however due to Verizon and US Cellular having higher rates for roaming, and Sprint charging FP even more, roaming isn't unfortunately an option.
  • Moises CardonaMoises Cardona Posts: 46FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi @Ali, I understand, but I think FreedomPop could come with roaming as an additional service in the future ;)
  • Braiden HayesBraiden Hayes Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    My freedompop iphone 5 will roam on verizon LTE without with full speed. I do luckily live in a big city and have only had this happen once or twice