What constitutes an "approved Sprint device"?

crcurriecrcurrie Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 phablet because I saw that FreedomPop was selling that model on its website. I didn't buy the FP offering because it doesn't come with free phone and text, as I discovered when I looked into purchasing it with an FP plan. This is for my 16-year-old daughter, who doesn't have the resources to afford the $11/month plan, which is the cheapest FP is offering for the Tab 3.

I thought the fee-based plans were because of FP's subsidizing the cost of the phone ($179, which is a low price that I could only equal by purchasing a refurb). I figured if I bought my own device, I could get the free plan that FP is famous for.

I was unfortunately wrong about that. When I tried to activate the phone, I got this message, "your phone is not currently eligible for free data ... Only approved Sprint devices can get a FreedomPop cellular data plan."

So why would FP deny access to their standard free plan for a device that is a Sprint phone identical to the one they sell themselves on their website? Is this just part of a plan to gradually eliminate the loss-leader free services?

I'm now out $179 for having taken BYOD at face value ...

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @crcurrie‌ Some devices are simply not supported because they are not approved by Sprint for BYOD activation. If you send me a PM I could take a look at your MEID and potentially activate it if it turns out to be eligible.
  • crcurriecrcurrie Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    @Ali Sorry, I forgot how to PM. Thanks for offering to look at my MEID. If you remind me how to PM you, I'll do so promptly.

I guess you're saying that Sprint will make some Galaxy Tab S3s available for BYOD activation (e.g., the ones that FP sells on its website), but not others, right?

Thanks again.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @crcurrie‌ Simply click on my username and then press Message which should be in the top right hand corner of my profile page. Good luck, and I hope to get this issue resolved for you :)
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @crcurrie‌
    Hello again

here is the current list of approved device...

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/6319/freedompops-supported-byod-list-sprint-apple-devices-dated-12-13-2014/p1

If you need any help with activation, Normally only a admin has the ability to help on the account side or adding the MEID to the system. I can send a shout out for you...Or I can just ask them in the old PM...

either way....Hope you got it figured out

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop