Solved many phone issues with new firmware and factory reset

MeanDrLilyMeanDrLily Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
FYI --

I was having several issues with many different apps on my Galaxy S3 that I got from Newegg specifically for FreedomPop. Apps that would work on my older AT&T version of the S3 wouldn't work on this phone at all (random errors, shutdowns, etc). Most frustratingly, I was unable to use my phone for my work email. They use Mobile Iron -- a mobile device management tool that allows them to control phone access and remotely wipe the data if something happens to it. Mobile Iron has root detection -- you can't use it on a rooted phone. This phone was showing up rooted in the logs.

Something was definitely wonky with the phone. I assume that FP has some kind of wonky rooting or custom firmware installed, which was causing issues.

I downloaded Samsung Kies to my PC, which is what Samsung uses to manage backups and firmware updates. Turns out there was an updated firmware available. I decided to go ahead and restore the phone back to it's factory (Sprint) settings and apply the new firmware.

After the reset everything is working fine. I downloaded the FreedomPop apps (Messenger and MyFP) and was back up and running with the service immediately. All of the apps that weren't working before are now fully functional, and I'm able to configure Mobile Iron to work with my office's exchange server to receive email. I'm having zero issues running the stock factory firmware with just the FreedomPop apps.

If you're having any issues, I highly recommend restoring your phone back to the -Sprint- factory settings by using Samsung Kies (which is available for free from Samsung directly).

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MeanDrLily‌
    This might Void your Warranty...so be-careful..

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MeanDrLily‌ Great post!

@njfulwider5‌ Since this is stock firmware and some FP phones ship with the Sprint ROM it won't void warranty.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ali‌
    Sorry little buddy....I asked.....You not allowed to mess with the rom FP places on the phone....

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• MeanDrLilyMeanDrLily Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Well, it's either a voided warranty of a useless phone that I can't use for it's intended purpose.

I guess I'll pass on the warranty, then.
  • William RoyalWilliam Royal Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Does this mean I SHOULDN'T apply the firmware update that Kies says I need?
  • William DoerflerWilliam Doerfler Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Well then I guess I';m ****.

Been having just a couple issues with my S3, but for the most part it's all good. Porting my cell number from another carrier over to the FP phone already.

Been having issue with the private internet thing not ever connecting. Called in a couple times and talked to people about it but it hasn't worked.

Until this evening that is.

I'd loaded Kies to sync files and Outlook to my S3. It reported an update was available. I'd been seeing the phone ask to apply updates just about every other day, so I didn't think twice about clicking to install it.

1gig and a reboot later, my phone says Sprint now. Well, uhh, that wasn't what I thought was going on. But the private internet app connected on the first try, I can still make phone calls for the most part (3 out of 4 test calls to the same number worked), and the FreedomPop apps are still working I guess.

It would've been nice to know what the 'update' was going to do before hand, but it's too late now.

Is there by chance a download and instructions for re-installing the FP firmware back on to my S3? Or am I just kinda **** now? I should add though that the data-side of the phone is a lot snappier now, much more responsive than it had been even on wifi in some places.
    Ok, battery life is kinda excellent now too. Lost 4% in the last hour+ when previously before the upgrade mistake I'd loose 4% in about 15 minutes.
    And now today my phone ate itself. None of the FP stuff is working, something from Sprint popped up on the phone, and I'm rather confused now.
    After days of research and then search around for files, I've managed to recover my S3 back to the FreedomPop standard or at least near enough to call it good. Much trial and error to get the sequence and order of progression correct, and then more error when things didn't work correctly (like not being able to turn on wifi).

Finally got it all sorted and the phone is running again and apps are updating over wifi.

What a pain the rear.
    BAH!!! Everything works except the VPN. It was working before this whole fiasco, now no matter what I try or which apps I install I get errors saying the phone doesn't support VPN.

I'd asked FP Support if it was possible to get a copy of the firmware they put on the phones when they send them out so I could fix this thing, but all I got in response was some garbage about how much data I might use on my new phone and a link to some useful apps to monitor data usage.