My Freedompop Samsung Galaxy S3 received a Android System Update

Sprinter GS3Sprinter GS3 Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
My Freedompop Samsung Galaxy S3 received a Android System Update
(USER_L710_SPR_ND8_to_NJ2_Update_FWD1.zip) OTA today.
This is a Security update from Sprint/Samsung for KitKat.

My question is, does Freedompop recommend that we install this Security update and if so how?

Answers

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Sprinter GS3‌ Please do not install the update as it will not allow your phone to retain the FreedomPop ROM.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Nice save!
  • Sprinter GS3Sprinter GS3 Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    @Ali So, Freedompop's position is we should ignore (not install) this Security update?

Ignoring is difficult given that the notification can not be swiped away and keeps alerting us. From what I have read this Notification can't be removed without Root access. This update would fail even if attempted to install, given that the phone has a Custom Recovery installed.

Does Freedompop plan to bake this update into future S3 Roms they release?
  • Jim MJim M Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie

About this new release.

Originally ignored this new update, it showed up as an alert or notification or update, when I originally accepted the update as delivered it failed some Android checks during its normal update/install cycle so I killed it. I was not certain it was legit so I ignored it all and stopped the install but the notifications continued.

I use Keis3 from Samsung so I ended up getting this update anyway as a new firmware update so I presumed it necessary and valuable to install at lease it went without fail. After doing the install the phone works fine still just doesn't say FP anymore, anywhere. Guess that is the FP ROM stuff mentioned above.

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 that originally came to me from FP about 2 months ago with all of the standard FP ROM updates which sort of made Sprint disappear. I guess Sprint is not willing to be hidden by FP.

After the update the phone lost the FP start-up screen (the big bubbles), now has several new fancier graphic Samsung screens followed by a very graphic Sprint 4G-LTE start-up screen and a graphic Sprint screen again at shutdown. I think start-up takes longer, but just a gut feeling.

That was all the good part. Now I have to contend with several new "junk" apps both from Sprint and from Samsung that took some work to get them to stop sending alerts and generally being annoying with their notifications, texts etc.

Of all the new stuff SprintZone is probably the worst of the new apps. I think I have SprintZone stopped and the other alerts stopped as well- at least it seems that way for now. Still this update overall has lots of new "crapware" apps but the phone still functions as it did under FP original release.

The whole thing was a bit annoying, no explanation from Samsung or Sprint (or FP for that matter) just load of new junk. Since I have the new junk under control and the phone still works, for now at least, I don't think I will roll it back. Perhaps I lost more than I think I guess time will tell.
  • wil0523wil0523 Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi guys, is this the same update you all are getting?

I got an Android System Update notification on my S3 this morning when I booted it up. Said it was about 83MB and I clicked on Reboot & Install. On reboot, I got this screen - Install Untrusted Package? ... PhilZ Touch 6 ..

Wasn't sure about it, so I just clicked Go Back, without installing.

@Jim M So after the update your FP calling and messaging still work fine?

• Clarence SmithClarence Smith Posts: 20FreedomPop Newbie
    I just received 'System update downloaded, Android system update". Is there any way to cancel the update and get rid of this messsage? It does not go away even when I clear the notifications.
  • Aaron  Smith Photon F3Aaron Smith Photon F3 Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Damn, I installed this update and now I am sitting on a bricked S3, I do not know what to do. I can still get in the recovery settings.
  • Jim MJim M Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    @wil0523 Yes, everything seems to be working just fine. I did get almost the exact same errors as you show above until I went to Keis3 to do the install. This is only my third day but I've tried the call in/out, text in/out, all seem to be working properly. Internet apps also work. I've tested using WiFi and 4gLTE both worked. I've booted/rebooted still seems ok.

I also use a Google Hangouts dialer and that works as well. Hangouts/Google Voice gives me an extra phone number to use if I need or want to not use the FP number. The GV number gives me full voicemail service including sending me a text and the message and an email if I want all for free.

As I commented above I needed to kill off several new junk apps that started to send me alerts and texts about stuff I didn't care about. I just went to the app manager stopped and unchecked show notifications. Also did a forced stop and Turn off or whatever I could to kill it off a bit. I don't have root access so I'm forced to the ankle biter level to get any app relief.

I use Keis3 from Samsung (on my laptop) which at least made the install work correctly.

Hope this somewhat long answer says yes I think it works.
  • Aaron  Smith Photon F3Aaron Smith Photon F3 Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie

Damn, I installed this update and now I am sitting on a bricked S3, I do not know what to do. I can still get in the recovery settings.

Found the fix for this issue, you will have to flash the tar with Odin
  • Clarence SmithClarence Smith Posts: 20FreedomPop Newbie

I just received 'System update downloaded, Android system update". Is there any way to cancel the update and get rid of this messsage? It does not go away even when I clear the notifications.

Can someone provide any help or guidance on this? Thanks
  • Alex WathanAlex Wathan Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Where do you get the tar? I haven't found it on the net.
  • weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Ali said:

@Sprinter GS3‌ Please do not install the update as it will not allow your phone to retain the FreedomPop ROM.

very glad to know this, i did try unsuccessfully to install 2x, now will just restart the phone if it comes up. all i need is sprint/samsung bloat!
  • aKris VandermarkaKris Vandermark Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Also got this update a week or two ago. I answered no to the install, but it keeps on coming back. Does FP ever do system updates or am I going to have to deal with this coming back forever? Glad I didn't install, I just looked up the "PhilZ Touch 6" as I was skeptical of installing an untrusted zip and came upon this thread.
    "CWM Base Version : V6.0.4.5"
  • Mike (GS-3, 30th) GrossMike (GS-3, 30th) Gross Posts: 143FreedomPop Newbie
    I also got the update notice and started the update process and after a few minutes thinking about it decide3d I would check FP & internet before installing. The update got to where wil0523 got and I hit either no or go back and I don't get any notifications anymore. That was on wife's GS 3 haven't done anything on my GS3, and notifications are persistent.
  • BeejBeej Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Sounds like this is a change from the ND8 bootloader to NJ2. It's basically the code that runs when your phone boots up. I'm not excited about the additional bloatware from it @Jim M mentioned. Before I updated my phone to ND8 from MK5 I went into the build.prop and changed the MK5s to ND8s. That tricked the phone into thinking I was on the ND8 bootloader and I stopped getting the update nags. I'll give that a shot and let you know how it works.
    OK, updated my build.prop. Phone is working fine as I expected. I'll have to wait to see if I don't get the update reminder again.

Again, this isn't actually installing the update and doesn't change the phone in anyway. I'm just tricking the update script to think I've already got it. I'll check back in later this week to let you know if it worked.
    So the build.prop update worked. No more nags to update. I just did it on my wife's FP phone and all is working well.

It's a pretty easy process:
    1. Install Build Prop Editor from the Play Store
    2. Open the app and click on the edit icon on the bottom
    3. Replace any instance of "ND8" with "NJ2"
    4. Click on the Save icon - It may look like it is saving for a while with nothing happening. Just look for a toast pop up at the bottom of the screen saying it's been saved.
    That's all you need to do and you won't be bugged to update this one again.
  • Sara MunozSara Munoz Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    hi really sorry to post this here but i think it might be related to the issue im having with both of the sg3's i ordered from FP. i also got the update, started to dload it, and then thought i should wait. i got the sprint update, which is now in the phone. I cant download or save anything to the phones at all. I tried to dload ebooks from dropbox (i know my account is working because i have 2 sg3 tabs and they are using neosoar and drop box with no issues.) but it always says storage full or unavailable, its got 10.83 gigs left of space, so its not full. Do u think i some how messed up the phones by almost updating ?
  • aKris VandermarkaKris Vandermark Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Beej said:

So the build.prop update worked. No more nags to update. I just did it on my wife's FP phone and all is working well.

It's a pretty easy process:

1. Install Build Prop Editor from the Play Store
    2. Open the app and click on the edit icon on the bottom
    3. Replace any instance of "ND8" with "NJ2"
    4. Click on the Save icon - It may look like it is saving for a while with nothing happening. Just look for a toast pop up at the bottom of the screen saying it's been saved.
    That's all you need to do and you won't be bugged to update this one again.
    You have to be rooted to do this don't you?
  • Jill  SladeJill Slade Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Jim M said:

@wil0523 Yes, everything seems to be working just fine. I did get almost the exact same errors as you show above until I went to Keis3 to do the install. This is only my third day but I've tried the call in/out, text in/out, all seem to be working properly. Internet apps also work. I've tested using WiFi and 4gLTE both worked. I've booted/rebooted still seems ok.

I also use a Google Hangouts dialer and that works as well. Hangouts/Google Voice gives me an extra phone number to use if I need or want to not use the FP number. The GV number gives me full voicemail service including sending me a text and the message and an email if I want all for free.

As I commented above I needed to kill off several new junk apps that started to send me alerts and texts about stuff I didn't care about. I just went to the app manager stopped and unchecked show notifications. Also did a forced stop and Turn off or whatever I could to kill it off a bit. I don't have root access so I'm forced to the ankle biter level to get any app relief.

I use Keis3 from Samsung (on my laptop) which at least made the install work correctly.

Hope this somewhat long answer says yes I think it works.

Do you have a rooted phone or a regular one purchased directly from FreedomPop? I have the S3 and don't want to turn it into a brick. I note that some suggestions on here seem to require a rooted phone. Mine is not, but I'm having problems with the phone not working with the regular FP when I step out of range of the house wifi. I can see the 4G/3G is working, and the Messaging app shows my name and number, but when trying to call out it says I need an internet connection and no incoming calls, texting is iffy. I'm thinking a successful update might resolve that issue.
    Anyway before I follow your suggestion of using Kies, I thought I should check to see if you did this on a rooted phone or a regular ol' FP one.
  • Michel McDonaldMichel McDonald Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm having problems with this. I updated it and it bricked my phone. I had to buy a jig which doesn't come until tomorrow. I have been reading a lot of things about this, like using Odin to install Roms. The only problem, where do I get the Freedom Pop Philz Touch 6 CWM 6.0.4.5 to fix it when the jig comes? Or should I use Samsung Kies 3 and have it try to fix it, or will it fix it? Will it roll it back to 6.0.4.5? I'm freaking out lol. I contacted FreedomPop days ago when this happened and haven't gotten a response from them, so if I can't get this back to normal, I'll have to cut off my phone with FreedomPop, and I don't want to do that.

So... any ideas would be helpful. I've read every post here and I'm still confused on what to do. I have looked for the Philz rom, but I haven't found it for this particular phone, which I'm learning is D2SPR L710 version of the Samsung Galaxy S3. I'd like to just run Odin and put that rom back in, or roll back to it, if it's possible.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Michel McDonald
    did you find a fix? It is strange it allowed the update. Most the time when you accept it, it will error out the phone and reverse back to the original Rom. Not sure if you used clockwork mod. But check and see if your phone has this. You might find all you have to do it reset it from Clockwork. Clockwork comes on allot of the freedompop phones. It might even be standard with the S3.

with the phone off....Press the volume up button-The home button-the power button. Once you feel the phone vibrate-let go of the power button and keep holding the volume up and the home button. You will see the phone go into recovery mode. let go of the other buttons.

Should be able to refresh the phone to factory. Feel free to PM me if you having issues getting into the recovery.

Hope this helps...

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Alisha McAdamsAlisha McAdams Posts: 19FreedomPop Newbie
    Is there a way to stop these updates? I just got one and it used up 89mb of data to download it. :angry:
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    If you are rooted, I think FOTAKill still works for the S3. Search for it on XDA-Developers.
  • Mike (GS-3, 30th) GrossMike (GS-3, 30th) Gross Posts: 143FreedomPop Newbie
    @ Alisha McAdams there is a thread here that describes how to do what you want, you will need 2 apps from play store, disable service and SuperSu, if your phone is rooted you won't need SuperSu and btw this worked on my Galaxy S3 purchased from FP and it came rooted. Hope this helps,