Unknown Error: Please check your connection and try again

On WiFi, clicking Freedompop messaging icon and getting this error "Unknown Error: Please check your connection and try again". I am able to send text (but not receive), call and receive calls, use browser.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled freedompop messaging app, updated prl, updated profile.

What else should I do to get this problem resolved?

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Oksana Greydinger
    try
    settings>>>>applications>>>manage applications

locate the freedompop messaging app

Than Force stop....and than clear cache...not clear data--go back and log back onto the app

If the above don't work, do the same with the play store app..

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Oksana GreydingerOksana Greydinger Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    I have cleared cache for freedompop messaging. It did not work. Then I cleared cache for play store app and freedompop messaging. It did not work.
    Freedompop build number is 15.06.158.1213

Is there anything else that can be done?
  • Oksana GreydingerOksana Greydinger Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Tried both, still did not work. Same message. Other suggestions?
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the only thing to do is contact a admin or a customer service rep. Numbers are in my signature...and there open till 8pm PDT

If you get no help there we can send a shout out to the admins

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Oksana Greydinger I am getting the same error message on my phone. It does not appear to be indicative of a problem with the phone or account so I just live with it. I know it's annoying but I don't want to take the chance that doing something to try and get rid of the message may cause another problem.
  • Thomas MortThomas Mort Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm having the same issue.

Normally I only use the phone for email and data, but, today I tried to make some calls and couldn't connect. It said to check my network connection. I connected with 3G and it didn't work, then connected with 4G and it didn't work, then wifi and still no calls.

My billing cycle start/end date is the 19th so I didn't think I had used up much (which I later checked and I hadn't. I've had times where I couldn't make a call if I was getting close to my limit.

I tried updating the profile and PRL. After I did this I couldn't make the call. I then rebooted the phone (EVO 4G) and tried to make a call again and still couldn't. I tried a couple other numbers to rule out that it might be a problem on the receiving end.

Finally I tried stopping the messaging app and clearing the cache and when that didn't work did the same with the Play Store app with no success.

I'm open to any other suggestions. I see the administrators phone numbers, but, would prefer to contact them via email. Could someone pass my problem along?

TIA
    @Thomas Mort
    what does it say when you go online and look at your account.
    how much data/voice /text?

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, is this issue over cellular or WiFi?
  • Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    When I am getting the message I am on wifi. Have not had a chance to see if it happens on cellular.
    Here is my data usage and what is available:

I also noticed that there is a
    @Thomas Mort
    You also Noticed there is a?????

Looks like you have plenty of everything....

Do you have anything on the phone you need to back up? We could try a Reset or a Factory reset?(this deletes anything you have saved) last resort

Going to settings>>>>SD & Phone Storage>>>>scroll down to Factory Data Reset?

This resets the phone to just like it was when you get it from freedompop...

You have to log onto Google and freedompop when you first turn it on--and wifi

if you decide this is the way to go..

After the reset, and after you logged onto google/Freedompop/Wifi--go and update the profile and PRL

than go to the play store and Update the messaging app...

sometimes when you first logg on you'll get errors...Just dismiss and continue--the errors will go away after the profile and PRL update

let me know if you'd like to try something else

I also noticed a fairly recent post that said there is a new version Version 15.06.158.1213. I checked and that is what I have installed
    @Thomas Mort
    Yes, but after you do a factory reset that I mentioned above...It goes back to a older version of the app...the one that was shipped with the device..

You only need to update if you decide to do the reset..

I didn't ge the phone from FP I did a BYOD. I'd also prefer not to do a factory restore because it is rooted and I don't have the time right now to re-root it.
    @Thomas Mort
    Ok, after everything you have tried....Your only option is to call up the Customer service depart-Numbers in My signature

or send a shout out to one of the admins-throw a @sign in front of one of the admins names-Names in my signature, and see if they can check on the account side for any issues.

other than that, I have a feeling a reset is the only option. Is it possible your root is not compatible with the messaging app?

I don't mess with rooting or anything like that?

I've been using it all along with no issues that couldn't be resolved without a factory reset. I've had to do a profile/PRN update and I learned that if I was close to my max usage I couldn't connect.

I don't understand what it is I do with the @Jore m etc. Where do enter this?
    I go ahead and just throw a shout out for you

@Jorge M.@LolaBee‌ @Javonni_Freedompop‌ @JasmineS‌
    anybody available to help?

• Thomas M MitchellThomas M Mitchell Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Coincidental Fix??
    I’m posting this fix that seemed to have corrected the same problem for me.
    1st off it may be of importance to mention that my Sprint Samsung SIII was acquired new, never used, never registered on any service prior to Oct-2014.
    It was solely obtained to go directly on freedompop (BYOD) from day one.
    I desired a very low cost plan for mostly actual phone use, with the benefit of light internet usage.
    I’m on the unlimited call & text plan with 500mb that I barely use any of while the on network.
    Almost anything I do with any added apps is done on wi-fi.
    I’ve only loaded a couple dozen apps thus far to the phone since I got it.

Whether, it being a brand new phone or just all the variables in my favor, I have had a good experience thus far.
    No issues, except unable to get some companies auto-mated texts.
    However, after the Android system security update in Mid-January-2015.

I also started receiving the “Unknown Error” check connection when starting the Freedompop messaging app. Did not matter if on Wi-Fi, 3G or 4GLte.

From previous experience, I knew I might be re-doing my phone with a factory reset. Ugghhh. What a pain. I thought though. Come on!.

This phone is still practically brand new and it’s not like I’ve been using/beating the crap out of it.
    Chances are something ( a line of old code ), a setting, or whatever got stuck initialized or un-initialized during that the Android system update.

Sooo. Took the advice mentioned here previously, about stopping and clearing the Freedomop/Play store cache apps, to the next level..

Whether this works for just one person, it will still be worth passing on to save somebody allot of frustration.
    It might be overkill or only part of it was actually needed, or I inadvertently did something correct during the process but, regardless it worked for me.

Go to settings. More. Application Manager.

Stopped,then cached cleared the following apps:

1. Google Play store, Freedomop messaging ,myfreedompop, voice mail, visual voice mail, and sprint connection optimizer.
    2. Uninstalled the Freedompop messaging app.
    3. Shut the phone off. Not a restart.
    4. Start the phone. Re-installed Freedompop messaging app. Did not start/open the app.
    5. Stopped, then cached-cleared the same apps in step one.
    6. Shut the phone off. Not a restart. Pulled the battery out. Left battery out for two hours. May only need to be out for 5 minutes, but that’s what I did.
    Some refer to this as a (soft reset).

8. Battery in. Start the phone. Did not start/open the app, or any apps.
    9. Stopped, then cached cleared the same apps in step one. Did not start/open the app, or any apps.
    10. Restarted the phone.
    11. Started the Freedompop messaging app.
    Acct and phone re-registered automatically.

The “unknown error” has not re-appeared since.
    Everything seems to be fine again.

Good luck.
    Great work @Thomas M Mitchell

I would be very interested to see if this works with somebody else having the issue..

If you end up using the above fix, please post back here if it was successful.

• weanutweanut Posts: 309FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    i've been getting those error messages too, occasionally, & as you know @njfulwider5, i can't get 4g lte on my s3. soooo, let me try this & see what happens! well, still no 4g, no harm dnne(i hope!), will see if i get those error messages again. @Thomas M Mitchell thanks for posting!
    It took me awhile to get a chance to try this. I accomplished something. I changed the message I received when a tried to make a call from "check you connection" to "you entered an incorrect number or code"

My phone was a rooted EVO4G with gingerbread.

Here are my comments as I followed the steps posted above:

Go to settings. More. Application Manager.

Stopped,then cached cleared the following apps:

1. Google Play store, Freedomop messaging ,myfreedompop, voice mail, visual voice mail, and sprint connection optimizer

[I DIDN'T HAVE THE SPRINT CONNECTION OPTIMIZER APP, PROBABLY REMOVED IT WHEN I ROOTED THE PHONE]

2. Uninstalled the Freedompop messaging app.

3. Shut the phone off. Not a restart.

4. Start the phone. Re-installed Freedompop messaging app.

[WHEN I WENT TO RE-INSTALL MESSAGING APP, I GOT A MESSAGING SAYING THERE WASN'T ENOUGH FREE SPACE TO INSTALL. I DID SOME CLEANING AND UNINSTALLING, THEN RE-INSTALLED MESSAGING APP].

Did not start/open the app.

5. Stopped, then cached-cleared the same apps in step one.

[ALL THE CACHES WERE EMPTY]

6. Shut the phone off. Not a restart. Pulled the battery out. Left battery out for two hours. May only need to be out for 5 minutes, but that’s what I did.
    Some refer to this as a (soft reset).

[ONLY HAD THE BATTERY OUT FOR ABOUT 5 MINUTES OR LESS]

8. Battery in. Start the phone. Did not start/open the app, or any apps.

9. Stopped, then cached cleared the same apps in step one.

[PLAY STORE APP CACHE CLEARED, OTHER APPS CACHES STILL EMPTY]

Did not start/open the app, or any apps.

10. Restarted the phone.

11. Started the Freedompop messaging app.

[I WENT TO MAKE A CALL FIRST WITH A WIFI CONNECTION AND THEN A 3G CONNECTION. BOTH TIMES I GOT A NEW MESSAGE SAYING THAT THE PHONE NUMBER OR CODE WAS INCORRECT. THIS WAS DIFFERENT THAN BEFORE WHEN IT SAID TO CHECK MY NETWORK CONNECTION]

[I THEN WENT TO MENU/SYSTEM UPDATES AND WENT TO UPDATE THE PROFILE AND PRL. AT FIRST I GOT A MESSAGE SAYING THAT IT COULD NOT DO IT AT THIS TIME AND TO TRY AGAIN. I THEN REMEMBERED I THOUGHT THAT THIS HAD TO BE DONE WITH A WIFI CONNECTION. TURNED ON WIFI AND WAS ABLE TO UPDATE PROFILE AND PRL, HOWEVER, I CONTINUED TO GET MESSAGE SAYING THE NUMBER OR CODE IS WRONG]

Anyone have any other ideas?
    I figured out my problem. I have Smart Launcher on my phone that has direct links to commonly used apps. The Messaging app was one of them.

When I first tried to use the dialer on my phone I just used this and it didn't work.

Later on I got to thinking that I should try going directly to the FP Messaging app. When I did this the phone dialed correctly. I then deleted that link from my Smart launcher and created a new one. Now the Smart launcher link works correctly as well.