WiFi Hotspot / Tethering

olrsolrs Posts: 410FreedomPop Newbie
I have done research on this but want to make sure I understand it correctly.

With 4G LTE, you can tether free of charge, is that correct?

With 3G, you need to pay $3.99/month to tether, but tethering is not available after the first 1 GB on the unlimited plan, is that correct?

Thank you for clearing this up.

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2015 #2
    NO Tethering is Only 4g and it cost 3.99 or 9.99 with premier.

with unlimited data, you can only tether the first 1gb of the plan, and than the plan throttles to 3g

so if you have a device and you have plenty of 4g...that your ok to tether as long as you pay for the service

Most phone on the market wont even turn the hostpot on with 3g service...

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get Hostpot/tethering free when you first sign up with freedompop-as apart of the 9.99 premier package.

It has always been 3.99 for just the service

or the packaged service plan of premier for 9.99--(this one is available with a free trial when you first start up)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• olrsolrs Posts: 410FreedomPop Newbie
    The way they worded it was a little misleading but I think they changed it on their blog.

I've thought for months based off of that blog post that tethering was free on 4G LTE.

Thank you for clearing that up.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @olrs‌ The unlimited plan used to include tethering. Now it's an additional $3.99 monthly but you should tether on 3G and 4G just fine on your fist GB :)
    @olrs‌
    Please be advised....I talked to @jorge m (Freedompop Employee) also sent him a shout out on this post

you can not tether on 3g

if you could, think about all the data Sprint would lose....How would anybody make any moneys? I also think it has to do with the speed of the 3g signal..

In the past we had this same argument--all day just like this---20 people all on the same post...and than @jorge m came and answered

No 3g teather or Hotspot...

You can always try? whats it going to hurt?--Nothing....Give it a try--Just make sure you pay the 3.99 or the 9.99

Untill Jorge m tell me different...This is the answer for me on this subject.

Good luck

Jorge when you get a chance--I know we have asked you this questions and for the 10th time you have answered it over and over. But there is no place beside Sprint that says you can not tether on 3g...maybe if we added some sort of plan details when you purchase tethering or Hotspot...or if things changed and we can now tether...let me know...I tired of debating this over and over..

I have been able to tether on 3G and 4G on many occasions on my dad's iPhone 4 which is not modded in any way and a ZTE Force which I borrowed from a friend who doesn't know how to root.

Ting allows tethering on 3G, don't they? Is it a Sprint thing or is it FreedomPop? Also 3G is available on the hotspots for $3.99.

It would be nice to have some clarification.
    @Ali‌ What plan is the ZTE Force on?
    @olrs‌
    thanks for your help in finding the post about the NO 3g tether/Hotspot....

@njfulwider5‌ Jorge has said it works on 3G -
    Jorge M. said:

Hey guys, I apologize for the confusion, tethering does work on 3G, but does not work on throttled 3G after the 1GB of data is used on the unlimited plan.

@olrs‌ The ZTE Force is on the Free 500MB plan if you downgrade, if not its the unlimited everything plan so you should be good to tether for your first GB :)
    edited January 2015 #14
    Ok guys

here
    from freedompop

here is another one

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showpost.php?p=73932694&postcount=65

why you would use 3g over 4g in the first 1gb of unlimited data is beyond me, unless you have no choice.

The fact still remain 1gb tether/hotspot...after nada

I think he didn't realize what was said...

I am not going to debate on the issue anymore. I have contacted admins in hope somebody would set us straight....

and I'll say it again...doesn't hurt to test out the theory yourself...does not work for me...and the only time I heard of it working

was when ali said he had his Iphone 5 modded...I assumed this was the only way

@njfulwider5‌ My modded iPhone 5 has nothing to do with this if I am testing with a ZTE Force and Galaxy Victory borrowed from a few friends who know nothing about this. Also the person on Slickdeals meant you will be able to tether when 4G Speeds are enabled if you're on the unlimited plan.
    Freedompop says,

It can be used for tethering only while connected to 4G LTE. Sprint doesn't allow tethering while on 3G.

edited January 2015 #18
    @njfulwider5‌ This is definitely not true. Again, the person over at Slickdeals meant when throttled. When you're throttled or at reduced speeds, you can't tether. Short and simple.

Ting, RingPlus, and even Straight talk can do tethering while on 3G and they're Sprint MVNOs.
    @olrs‌
    Good thing we all have service with freedompop...

I'll wait till I hear from freedompop employee....

@FreedomPop‌
    looks like it was one of your threads possibly...I could care less but to give the correct information to the person in need of help. It seem like this is split and so far nobody has a clue except one person. I am basing my answer of of stuff i read and I can't use it on my Iphone 4s. On my androids, it only works on 4g...when I have my device on 3g, the hotspot is no longer highlighted.

I feel like this is becoming a broken record of--yes it does---no it doesn't....Pretty stupid thing to argue about. I'd really appreciate some guidance into this matter.

@olrs‌
    I am going to excuse myself from this thread in till we hear something.

From what I have read, it is clear the tethering works regardless of the data technology for the first GB on the unlimited plan. After that, regardless of the data technology, tethering is not allowed after the first GB.

They have made that clear.

What doesn't make sense is why they don't allow tethering with the free 500 MB on 3G even when paying for the hotspot feature. It doesn't seem like it is Sprint, but rather FreedomPop since 3G hotspots work fine and Ting allows tethering.

I understand they wouldn't want to offer unlimited tethering, but it would be nice to offer additional data that can be used to tether on the unlimited plan. And for plans that have a set limit or have an overage fee, it would be nice.to allow tethering over 3G.

So, in my opinion we have the answer regarding the unlimited plan. It will work for the first GB regardless of the technology.

After the first GB and on all other plans it seems FreedomPop doesn't allow tethering on 3G for reasons I don't understand except for the hotspot devices which work on 3G at an additional fee.
    @njfulwider5 @Ali Do you think we'll ever get an explanation as to why FreedomPop doesn't allow tethering over 3G with plans other than the unlimited? It still doesn't make sense to me. I really think it is FreedomPop not allowing it, not Sprint. Does anyone have any ideas?
    I'd still like some clarification regarding tethering on 3G.

I went to the mobile hotspot page and it didn't say anything about needing to be on 4G. I added it for the $3.99, and it is working fine.