Unlocked?

Bryan WylandBryan Wyland Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
Is the newegg/FP flashed S3 'unlocked'? If so how do you 'test' that it is? If not, can it be unlocked?

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bryan Wyland
    Freedompop has issues activating Unlocked phones(cdma/GSM)

is the the unlocked you are speaking about?

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Bryan Wyland‌ All FreedomPop phones ship unlocked out of the box.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    we have GSM/CDMA phones out of the Box

@Jorge M.
    is this new?

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

@njfulwider5‌ This has been the case since the days of the Evo 4G Design starting to sell
    @Jorge M.
    can you please confirm, I thought we used CDMA on our Cells? Boy Was I confused??

@njfulwider5‌ All Sprint devices are CDMA, but a lot of Sprint phones have both GSM and CDMA built right in and they are supported by FP. When FP sells them, all devices with a SIM Card are unlocked in the kitting process.
    when you get a chance Jorge...

• Bryan WylandBryan Wyland Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks. I'm having an argument with a buyer on eBay that says its not unlocked. How can I prove it to him?
    @Bryan Wyland
    Our Phone from freedompop Are Not Unlocked!!!look at what he said above

even if it was during kitting---they come out CDMA....out of the box....

Freedompop only sells Locked phones

@Jorge M.

I have around 6 phones sitting infront of me from freedompop and not one of them is unlocked....Sprint only uses CDMA....if you got a phone and it was GSM/CDMA...we could never activate it---Sprint uses CDMA and even our BYODs have to be CDMA...

I would wait for a admin if you think different....

@Bryan Wyland‌ Please don't listen to the posts above, Joe is full of it today. I can check if your phone is unlocked depending on the type of phone you have :)

Also Sprint uses CDMA devices with GSM capabilities so your phone will work once you set the network preferences to GSM mode.

@njfulwider5‌ I thought you didn't open your devices yet, what happened? And even if they're opened, you didn't activate them and you don't have a SIM card to prove it with either. I do and all the devices I ordered from FP work on T-Mobile. Stahp it please.
    edited January 2015 #13
    @FreedomPop‌
    Just curious if you can help us with this debate

So maybe I should have started with; what is an unlocked phone?
    I assumed it was unlocked since it was a "sprint" brand phone working on another 'carrier' (I know it's still Sprint's network; but it's not Sprint)
    @Bryan Wyland
    I apologize....I wouldn't just make up something. I am hoping one of the Admins step in and just set us all straight. Just be careful...I can tell you, if you get the meid/esn,,,,I can check and see if the device is ok to activate here on freedompop.

again I apologize for any confusion I might have caused, was not my intention..Let wait and see what a admins has to say.

So here's my dilemma; sold on ebay, title was unlocked/freedompop S3

Their argument is "The term "unlocked" means it can be used internationally,by any carrier.We buy dozens of phones (see our feedback) for international use.The phone I bought from you is only "unlocked" for certain domestic carriers and is therefore completely useless to us."

I never advertised it as an international phone... who's right?
    @Bryan Wyland
    I was always told here that we do not BYOD unlocked phones. That they had to be locked to the Sprint CDMA carrier...We don't use GSM and that is usually a international carrier.

when you buy a phone from freedompop You buy a phone that is Locked to CDMA carrier. Sprint

This has been what I have been told over and over and over...I am not hear to argue, I only comment on stuff i know about. If i am wrong, I will be the first to apologize. But on this one I am pretty sure I am correct.

Maybe a admin will pop on...Sorry for the confusion..

• Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Bryan Wyland I may be stepping into a hornets nest here but let me tell you what I know about the Samsung Galaxy S3 sold by Newegg. This phone is a CDMA only phone. It does not have a sim slot and cannot be used on a GSM network. The phones used by AT&T and T-mobile are GSM phones and when unlocked can be used internationally. Most if not all phone systems outside the USA are GSM technology. So, without a sim slot and not having GSM capability this phone cannot be used internationally even if it is unlocked. I own a blue Newegg freedompop phone. I have the back cover and battery out as I write and the only visible slot in the back is the memory card slot.

As long as you listed the model number (sphl710) in your ebay listing a quick internet search leaves no doubt this is a CDMA Sprint phone. Which means this phone cannot be used on a GSM network. Again, to my knowledge all information for using phones on a GSM system have the needed information stored on the sim card which cannot be installed on this model. I also checked the network capabilities in the network setting. There is no GSM option there.

If the buyer is giving you grief because they cannot use this phone internationally and your listing is accurate (which it sounds like it was) then you should not be held accountable for their lack of understanding/research on the differences between CDMA and GSM.

Oh, and by the way even if the phone is unlocked it would only be usable on Sprint, Verizon or another CDMA phone network. Cannot be used on AT&T, T-mobile or international.

And, NO unlocked does not mean it can be used on any carrier. Unlocked means it can be used on any compatible carrier.
    Thanks; that's what I was looking for!
    edited January 2015 #20
    @Richard Allen Thanks for setting everyone straight!

@Bryan Wyland Just as long as your listing is fine then you aren't accountable. If things go bad you are able to give the buyer a bad review and if I were you I would tell him to deal with it ;)
    edited January 2015 #21
    @Richard Allen
    And, NO unlocked does not mean it can be used on any carrier. Unlocked means it can be used on any compatible carrier.

Compatible Carriers that use CDMA/GSM

Freedompop Sale only Locked CDMA

a Locked phone is Locked to one Carrier???

edited January 2015 #22
    @Richard Allen
    Oh, and by the way even if the phone is unlocked it would only be usable on Sprint, Verizon or another CDMA phone network. Cannot be used on AT&T, T-mobile or international.

wouldn't you need a sim to lock it to either carrier?

@njfulwider5 Not necessarily, you're able to flash another PRL and then activate via *228 on a prepaid plan offered.
    Apparently eBay doesn't care; lost my fight with the buyer AND eBay! =(
    Oh well, sold it on swappa.