VoIP Apps

olrsolrs Posts: 410FreedomPop Newbie
Do you prefer the FreedomPop app or a different VoIP app?

Have you found any other VoIP apps to be more reliable than the FreesomPop app?

For example, Groove IP is one alternative. It will use your data connection like the FreedomPop app and you can get unlimited talk and text for free.

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Xfinity Connect....Great working VOIP app on the Iphone--and I have a few more ringtones....and text tones

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• olrsolrs Posts: 410FreedomPop Newbie
    I just wanted to update this.

I'm reading a lot about people having success with Hangouts.

If your phone doesn't support the latest Hangouts and its dialer, you can install the apk of an older version which should work fine.

Please reply if you have success with Hangouts or another VoIP app.

Please keep in mind using another VoIP app will count against your data usage, but you will have unlimited calling and text messaging as long as you have the data for it. To avoid using cellular data, you can use WiFi.

Hopefully FreedomPop will continue to improve their own app so it is more reliable.
    I would like to update this again.

FreedomPop has announced a premium voice feature. With that feature, if the data connection is not good enough for a VoIP call, it will route the call over the 2G network for a better connection.

That might be a reason to start using the FreedomPop app (when the update is released) rather than using Hangouts.
  • ErikSErikS Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    I don't know if this is a violation of the Terms-of-Service or not for me to mention, but yes, I read and found that Viber Out is often able to maintain a call when transitioning to/from Wi-Fi, even with the IP address change. I presume they accomplish this by running their own proprietary VOIP server software, on which they maintain the call for a few seconds and hope the client tries to reconnect.
    And keep in mind Hangouts dialer with Google Voice integration now fully supports true MMS send AND receive.
    Agreed, Premium Voice is the biggest attraction for me to the FreedomPop app.
    @ErikS Thank you for your feedback.

I plan to keep on using Hangouts for now, mainly because the FreedomPop phones are just extra phones that I don't need to be very reliable.

For those that I recommend FreedomPop to that are looking to use them as their main line, I will be recommending the Premium Voice feature.

For one line, $22.98/month isn't bad ($19.99 unlimited everything plus $2.99 premium voice).

For those with four or five lines, there are better alternatives to FreedomPop, in my opinion.

I'm glad they're coming out with Premium Voice, because as you said, it is a reason to use the FreedomPop app, and that should bring FreedomPop more paid customers. Someone can use Hangouts for free, unreliably, or they can pay FreedomPop for Premium Voice and even an unlimited plan for more reliable service.

Before Premium Voice, I didn't see any reason to use the FreedomPop app.

Hopefully they'll fix the other problems. I think the app doesn't even work in landscape mode yet and they just sold a lot of Motorola Photon Q devices. Let's hope they continue to improve.
    @olrs Agree hopefully Premium Voice will bring more paid customers to the app. For $25/month I'm presently on a competitor's hybrid calling system unlimited plan, on the phone of my choice. I use very little traditional voice, and I'm personally hoping to switch and get by with no unlimited plan, paying a reasonable fee for extra data on FreedomPop. I understand reasons to choose premium providers but I think most Americans could be served just fine by the hybrid carrier of their choice for a fraction of what they're now paying.
    If FreedomPop could support Premium Voice on the iPhone in the future that'd give them an advantage over their hybrid competition as well.
    @ErikS What provider are you with currently?

How much data do you use? With FreedomPop 500 MB comes standard, and you can get another 500 MB free to total close to 1 GB. After that, I believe you can be gifted up to 500 MB through Freedom Friends. So, that's about 1.5 GB for free. Also you could invest in a second device to get more data on a separate account.

I agree that Premium Voice on the iPhone will help. Since it isn't available currently, I won't recommend anyone get the iPhone with FreedomPop unless they don't mind about reliability problems. Hopefully they'll be able to get it to work on the iPhone.
    olrs said:

I wasn't sure about mentioning competitors on the boards, but I've been on Republic Wireless, 2013 Moto X, since last July.
    My data varies - some months, I may use "only" 500MB (probably busts the 400MB limit), many months, I use 1GB. (I expect likely = 2x $5 FreedomPop 500MB fill-ups.) Very occasionally, 1.5 GB. (3x or $15 FP a-la-carte I expect)

Was thinking about friends. But I prefer to stick to one device.

I use relatively little voice, and I'm usually on Wi-Fi for voice. Use Hangouts/Tango for rare international calls.

Thanks!
    ErikS said:

olrs said:

I wasn't sure about mentioning competitors on the boards, but I've been on Republic Wireless, 2013 Moto X, since last July.
    My data varies - some months, I may use "only" 500MB (probably busts the 400MB limit), many months, I use 1GB. (I expect likely = 2x $5 FreedomPop 500MB fill-ups.) Very occasionally, 1.5 GB. (3x or $15 FP a-la-carte I expect)

Was thinking about friends. But I prefer to stick to one device.

I use relatively little voice, and I'm usually on Wi-Fi for voice. Use Hangouts/Tango for rare international calls.

Thanks!
    @ErikS I had a Republic Wireless' Moto X also, but sold it. I didn't like that the phone could only be used on their service and that they weren't coming out with any new plans. I switched to Cricket Wireless, and that is the company I'm with now.

You can get 1,000 MB for free with FreedomPop. You add "Freedom Friends". You can find lists of emails online that you can add. I would recommend changing your email address associated with your account and your name on the account so the other people can't see your information.

Then, those "Freedom Friends" can gift you up to 500 MB more per month (I think there might be a limit of 50 or 100 MB that each friend can gift). There are instructions on here somewhere, I can't find them right now.
    @olrs Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!
    olrs said:

I switched to Cricket Wireless, and that is the company I'm with now.

@olrs I'm curious which plan you're on with Cricket?
    I can't seem to find any with data for <$25/mo.
    I do realize there can be other reasons to prefer a carrier.
    Thanks!
    @ErikS I'm on their $100/month plan for 5 lines. So, it comes out to $20/month, per line, for unlimited talk, text, and data (2.5 GB at full speeds) per line.

It's an excellent deal, especially for being on AT&T's network. I plan to keep it for now.

In order to switch to FreedomPop, Sprint would need to improve coverage, or FreedomPop would need to add or switch to another network.

We'll see what happens. I like what FreedomPop is doing, and Google is also coming out with their own wireless service, apparently running on Sprint and T-Mobile, so it will be interesting to see what happens.