Can't access 3G/4G, only wifi and infinite call-loop

I just activated my BYOD Sprint S3, and I made a test call out, only to have it ring and ring and ring and when I tried to hang up I ran into the "infinite loop" to where I had to reboot my phone in order for the call to actually stop.

But, I'm currently running a custom ROM 5.0 Lollipop ( BeanStalk) and it doesn't have System Update in the settings as ROMs are now built to avoid OTA updates bricking your device.

Are there any way I can fix these problems?

Best Answer

Answers

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    did you do a profile and PRL update after activation?

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Charles HattenCharles Hatten Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I can't access that part of my settings menu. It doesn't exist for me. I rooted and updated my S3 to 5.0 Lollipop with a ROM to get away from the horrible battery drain from 4.4.2 KitKat
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you have a system update? back in settings?

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately Android 5.0 is unstable with the FreedomPop Messaging app. Since you have a custom ROM, your best bet would be to flash TouchWiz back on to your phone or get some VoIP SIP app like Bria to make voice calls.
    Ali said:

Unfortunately Android 5.0 is unstable with the FreedomPop Messaging app. Since you have a custom ROM, your best bet would be to flash TouchWiz back on to your phone or get some VoIP SIP app like Bria to make voice calls.

So my choices are, downgrade to 4.4.2 and deal with the terrible battery usage problem on TouchWiz KitKat, or basically ask for a refund of the activation fee...

Main reason I updated my phone was because 5.0 gets rid of the S3's crappy battery usage problem on KitKat...

And the whole reason I bought the phone was to use FreedomPop to be able to make calls away from WiFi signal... so VOIP apps are kinda useless for that reason...

@Charles Hatten Its possible to use your FreedomPop number and service on another VoIP SIP app.
    Hey guys, I don't mean to interrupt....But has anybody really tested the app on 5.0? I have not heard of the incompatibility till this post?

I might have to test this theory tonight...or this weekend?

@njfulwider5 I have tested this on a Nexus 5 and it has some stability issues with making calls. Sometimes it is in an infinite loop, sometimes it tries connecting, and sometimes it crashes on launch. People have tried with some ROMs like cyanogenmod as well even on Android 4 and all we know is FreedomPop Messaging only works really well on stock devices on Android 4.
    Anybody else have you tested this on 5.0....I would like to hear from somebody else if possible...2 confirmation is better than one person testing--maybe your device has issues somewhere else...

I have never heard it till this post

@njfulwider5 I guess I was the only one. If you'd like I could send you the ROM for those EVO 4G's you won't be using.
    no thanks...These puppies run perfect..I'd hate to mess with them...I'll have 6 not on a plan in a few weeks...

@njfulwider5 Sounds good, good luck with those ZTE's.
    So, going back to my original problem... I factory reset my device, updated google play services, followed the instructions in the video and tried to update the PRL, and it never updated..

So here's some questions:
    1) if I'm on the $10.99/month free trial, why do I not have access to non-wifi calling?
    2) I just activated my phone today, yet my account is telling me I only have 26 days left of service...Why is that?
    3) Is activating with FreedomPop without already throwing away money at Sprint for service even a valid way for 3G/4G talk and text off wifi?
    1) if I'm on the $10.99/month free trial, why do I not have access to non-wifi calling?
    You do have access to non-wifi calling. When your phone is on Data and away from the wifi, your phone will work just like it does when it is on wifi.
    2) I just activated my phone today, yet my account is telling me I only have 26 days left of service...Why is that?
    Because February has 28 days and it looks like your account was activated 1 day ago..or yesterday.
    3) Is activating with FreedomPop without already throwing away money at Sprint for service even a valid way for 3G/4G talk and text off wifi?
    Yes you can use the voice and text off of wifi, when your on Data. Your going to be using a VOIP app, but it still work over the data network too. Phone will work on wifi/3g/4g-same way on all signals..

Please be advised, you phone will use a VOIP app when making and receiving calls...

So, I can make outgoing calls and send and receive texts, but incoming calls say "all circuits are busy."
    Anyone know why it would do that?
    The Messaging app is telling me I have no data to use and it's not letting me send out texts now... I don't understand.. the PRL and Profile have been updated, I turned off Wifi and have 3G service running...What am I doing wrong?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you ran out of data. You need a little bit for voice & text to function.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    Can you access 3G data? If you can, it just means you're affected by that messaging app bug which reports 0MB remaining. Also did you try refreshing activation data?
    Here just recently we had a little glitch in the system. The admins are working like crazy to get it fix. The HTC-S3/S4-S2 and the Iphones seem to be affected.

@Jorge M. @LolaBee @JasmineS @Javonni_Freedompop ,
    here is another-can you guys please take a quick peek

You data should go back to normal after the admins do there thing.

Sounds like you ran out of data. You need a little bit for voice & text to function.

How can I run out of data when I just activated it??
    If running the freedompop app, sending and receiving 4 text and making one phone call use all 500mb of data when I was connected to wifi most of the time.
    I've refreshed it several times and it hasn't solved that problem but yes I can access 3G signals but the closest weak wifi signal keeps trying to connect even with wifi turned off and causing 3G to disconnect and drop service for browsing the web and calls... Also, currently during calls, the other person can barely understand me with it breaking up horribly and hears an echo of themselves with the sound of them being sporadic as well... with some calls saying "this number is not allowed to call this number" when trying to call a 1-800 number like to my doctor's office.
    What can i do to clear up the call sound quality from a broken choppy mess and barely audible?
    @Charles Hatten
    so you phone is working again? if your phone is working again

Try a profile and PRL update

and after take a peek at this post and compare settings--read the whole post-might help you clear it up

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/5346/new-android-apps-update-15-07-227-0128-updated-01-29-15-tips-and-tricks#latest

Hope this helps

Do you have phone service on data? do you need the admins?

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015 #27
    Sounds like the 3G is very weak radio signal. All that breaking up sounds and the errors also resemble a weak signal. See Samsung settings about status. There is an item says signal strength. rated dBms and ASM. Should have decent calls with 4 ASM. For dBm from -60 to -78 ought to work ok. -80 to -96 and up are too weak to help for good conversation. If you move to new location, exit settings and get back in to remeasure.

Get good friend to play the 'can you hear me now game'. Then mark in your mind where the good zones are to call from. Don't wander around while talking.

The map says LTE is MAX where I live. HA!!! I don't have ANY for 7 blocks! At least I get 3G. About 50% of the house is ok for conversations. The rest is not.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs