Software Update

Anybody know if this is a legit update from FreedopPop? If it is I want to install it, but if it's not I'd rather not have to reset my phone to get it back working right.

Comments

• Richard AllenRichard Allen Posts: 644FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, Porting Master ✭✭✭✭
    @Jacob Harrison This update is being pushed out by Samsung not Freedompop. The update is for updating android 4.4.2 to 4.4.4. I am getting this update message on my phone also. I checked with some of the other pros and have not found anyone that has successfully installed the update. Those that have tried have said that they get a failure message when they try to install it.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would stay away from this update, all users who have tried updating say it is failed. Most likely not compatible with the FreedomPop ROM.
  • BeejBeej Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    From what I've read from people who got the update to work (using Odin) it's full of bloatware, hard to believe from the small size. Anyway, I got my phone to "think" it's had the update without actually installing it. This method works great on my phone that I ported and my wife's S3 we bought from FP.

It's a pretty easy process:
    1. Install Build Prop Editor from the Play Store
    2. Open the app and click on the edit icon on the bottom
    3. Replace any instance of "ND8" with "NJ2"
    4. Click on the Save icon - It may look like it is saving for a while with nothing happening. Just look for a toast pop up at the bottom of the screen saying it's been saved.

That's all you need to do and you won't be bugged to update this one again.
  • DMNTDDMNTD Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
    Well It would be nice if freedompop does something about this to meet power users needs. I can't stand random icons nagging me day in and day out..my ocd and such does not permit it. I read the update has some nice bugfixes to it and would like to partake.
  • William RoyalWilliam Royal Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    Gee, I was hoping to get the benefits of the 4.4.4 kit kat update - especially the improved screen response. From the look of it here we're gonna be stuck with what we have until we upgrade to a newer phone...
  • Abel GutierrezAbel Gutierrez Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
    So how do we, if ever, update to the latest Android OS?
    Beej said:

From what I've read from people who got the update to work (using Odin) it's full of bloatware, hard to believe from the small size. Anyway, I got my phone to "think" it's had the update without actually installing it. This method works great on my phone that I ported and my wife's S3 we bought from FP.

It's a pretty easy process:

1. Install Build Prop Editor from the Play Store
    2. Open the app and click on the edit icon on the bottom
    3. Replace any instance of "ND8" with "NJ2"
    4. Click on the Save icon - It may look like it is saving for a while with nothing happening. Just look for a toast pop up at the bottom of the screen saying it's been saved.

That's all you need to do and you won't be bugged to update this one again.
    I tried this on 2 galaxy S3s. It seems to have worked fine on the first one, but the second one is stuck in a loop now with the message: "Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped. OK"

How can I fix it? I can't do anything with the phone because the message comes back immediately after you press ok.
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2015 #9
    Anyone wanting to do this, please do a Nandroid backup!!!!!

Turn off and unplug the phone. Hold the Home, Volume Up Key and Power at the same time. In the recovery, go to backup and restore>backup (to /sdcard or external sd). The FP version comes with this awesome tool. Use it!!!!
    You are playing with fire if you don't!

Anyone wanting to do this, please do a Nandroid backup!!!!!

Turn off and unplug the phone. Hold the Home, Volume Up Key and Power at the same time. In the recovery, go to backup and restore>backup (to /sdcard or external sd). The FP version comes with this awesome tool. Use it!!!!
    You are playing with fire if you don't!

Thank you, I will try this A.S.A.P.
    Are you sure just backup? The phone is in a bugged state, why should I backup? Also, would it be OK to restore?
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @Adolfo Galvan Would wiping cache in recovery help?
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 720FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    @adabo I will reply to other thread

@djinks No cache partition is different. Just a temporary place for information.