**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Why do I need to be connected to wifi in order to make a call

Simeon WaltonSimeon Walton Posts: 28FreedomPop Newbie
Lately, when I take a trip to the coast my phone tells me that I need to be connected to a internet connection in order to make a call, and yet there are full mobile signal bars on my phone, does anyone know why I cannot make a call over the cell network? At home, I can make calls and receive calls.

Best Answer

Answers

• Simeon WaltonSimeon Walton Posts: 28FreedomPop Newbie
    So Ali, what you are saying is that this phone is only a voice over IP phone. If that is the case, I am very worried about being out where I only have a mobile connection and I have some emergency where I cannot call out. I understood that we were on the sprint network.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Simeon Walton since you're on the Sprint network just as long as you have a mobile 3G or 4G LTE connection you should be allowed to make a call.
  • Khalad GoheerKhalad Goheer Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    This happened to me the other day. Out of the blues, without my input, outside the WiFi, though I had the bars, there was no 4GLTE displayed in the Notification bar. It drove me nuts as this had never happened before (every time I left the WiFi, the phone automatically turned to 4GLTE). Like ali said, when I looked in the Mobile Networks Data Usage, it was unchecked. Who did this?...not me. Now I know.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Khalad Goheer I think this happens sometimes after an update and a reboot since the Victory automatically updates after rebooting.
    Ali, this is the problem with Sonoma County California, so much of our county is rural countryside and most is covered by a mobile network but not LTE 4G and 3G. When I had my AT&T phone, I could pretty much call from anywhere in the county, as long as I had bars. That phone was not LTE. I guess I have some decisions to make.
  • thewampthewamp Posts: 77FreedomPop Newbie
    RE: "Ali Posts, March 2
    @Khalad Goheer I think this happens sometimes after an update and a reboot since the Victory automatically updates after rebooting."

Ali, I have 4 Victory phones received on Marh 2. None connect to Cell Towers, but work somewhat when on my WiFi. Agents keep telling me to update the PRL and Profile. I do not find any menu items which allow me to do this on my Victorys. Does the Victory update the PRL and Profile automatically after rebooting? Also, why can I not enter more than 3 numbers into the dialer keypad?
    thewamp, Yes, the victory now automatically reboots after updating, but it did not do this when I got the phone.

I believe FredomPop has a number that you can dial that when connected will automatically update your PRL. Your profile is connected to your email address. Go to the FredomPop configuration app and enter your email address. You need to be connected to wifi in order for this to work.