**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Is the LG Viper meant to work or is it a joke?

Robin HardisonRobin Hardison Posts: 18FreedomPop Newbie
Because it really, truly feels like a prank. I received my 'free' LG Viper today. I plug it up and turn it on.

I connected to my WiFi.

I then open the blue 'messaging'. It won't run and says there is an update available. I click to update and it takes me to the Play store where I see either OPEN or UNINSTALL for the messaging app. No 'update'. So I uninstall it and then reinstall it and I think it's working.

I try to make a phone call and get a pop up that says 'weak signal'. I go outside and get 'weak signal'. I've used the Sprint contiounsly for over 20 years. The majority of the time direct with Sprint. I then wanted to stop renewing contracts and went to Boost Mobile. Then I read about Republic Wireless. Got in on the Beta and it worked as expected. All the while cell phone service/coverage was always the same basically, but actually improved over the 20 years of course. But I know where dead spots are and where the strongest signals are better than any map. But I'm still on the Sprint network with this Viper LG and I get 'weak signal' no matter where I go.

So I select 'connect anyway' to do a test call. It goes through but I sound like I'm on weak, poor WiFi connection but WiFi is disabled at this point. I turned it off after getting the phone to register. I connect to WiFi and make another test call and it sounds about 10% better.

Yes, I tried updating PRL and profile. More than once and while on WiFi. I rebooted phone. No change.

So I get tired of playing with it so I leave it to charge to 100%. I take it off the charger and test the camera. I take two pictures. Not the best camera but not too bad either. I use a DSLR when I want to take a keepsake photo so I don't need the best camera on the market on a phone.

I try to open the Freedom Pop app. It just loads and loads and loads. I hit the back arrow and the loading stops and the app crashes. I reboot the phone. Try to load the FP app again. It crashes.

I get tired of playing it and put it down. Come back 1.5 hours later and the batter is down to about 15%. Perfect.

I try to make another test call. I can't. I get 'this application is not configured for multiple calls'. I disable WiFi. It fails, same message about multiple calls.

I reboot the phone. Try a call. 'this application is not configured for multiple calls'.

I call the phone for the first time and it rings forever.

I didn't expect the features and service that I would get for a $60/month plan. I'm almost always near WiFi and need very little mobile data if any. With Republic Wireless I was used to the occasional glitch of making calls mainly via WiFi. Sometimes not the best call quality but most of the time it was very good to excellent... more than acceptible.

I'm not so cheap that I went through the trouble of getting a new phone just to have my bill go from $19.99 ($24.xx with taxes) to $10.99. But I lost my RW phone and it was the old Motorola Defy with a REALLY Android version. So for the money of buying a new phone I thought it would be neat to try FP.

My life is not tied to a mobile phone and I don't lose sleep when I don't have one. I have been watching FP for well over a year. I was going to activate an older Sprint phone (I have had many over the years) but for a year the site said service was not available in my area. I got an email about the special deal on the Viper and I just lost my phone. I checked and the order went through. YEAH!!!! They opened my area.

But so far this is beyond laughable. I realize there are tweaks to help SOME with the battery life. But when you start off with losing 75% in 1.5 hours, there can't be enough tricks and things to turn off to give me a whole day of usage and still be able to use the features of the phone. Maybe it was a worn out battery since this was a used B-condition phone. I can try to buy another one cheaply enough.

But should I even bother if I can't even use Freedom Pop's own app or make phone calls at all?

Comments

• Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,376 admin
    @rastoma Hello Robin, I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with your LG Viper thus far. However, I've gone ahead and refreshed your account on my end, please let me know if you continue to receive any issues :)
  • Donovan SchluntDonovan Schlunt Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    I am having all those issue/except that no one can even hear me on the other line at all
  • Jason  LiJason Li Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I just received my phone today. I'm residing in Atlanta for the time being, and my current phone that runs on Virgin Mobile (Sprint/CDMA network) gets full signal all the time. After some attempted calls, I've concluded that my Viper receives very poor signal (0-2 bars) and CANNOT use the 3g or 4g network to make/receive calls or texts.

When I use wifi to make/receive texts, texts are sent/received just fine. Wifi calls, on the other hand, sound scratchy and crackly.

I believe "Carl Falcone" had the same issue and it looks like a FreedomPop rep has just worked on the account: "account ICCID has been updated, please perform a PRL update on the device. "

I would like from my account to be updated as well - I'll try calling in about this issue soon. If this doesn't work I'll (one) try a different FP phone (like that Samsung Galaxy III) or (two) try a different service altogether. I don't mind paying if I get quality service - I only need the bare minimum for calls and texts and the occasional google navigation.
  • Carl FalconeCarl Falcone Posts: 46FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi Jason,
    Yes I had the same problem. They pushed through an update on my phone yesterday night. I will try it out today and see how it goes. I have called support multiple times with no response (the last time I was on the phone an hour and was then asked to leave a message). Try contacting LolaBee from the link on her reply to my post. You may have luck with that.
  • Robin HardisonRobin Hardison Posts: 18FreedomPop Newbie
    Jorge M. said:

@rastoma I've gone ahead and refreshed your account on my end, please let me know if you continue to receive any issues :)

I'm not seeing any difference. Was I supposed to see some kind of update message or something?

Even with WiFi turned OFF, I can go to an area in town that I know has excellent coverage, and with ALL bars full on the phone... cell reception, not WiFi, I still get the message 'weak signal'. FULL BARS... and the phone says 'weak signal' when I try to make a call. And if I connect anyway and make the call it sounds horrible, choppy and cuts out bad. I can hear the caller perfectly clear, but the caller hears choppiness and can hardly make out what I'm saying.
    MyFreedomPOP app still crashes most of the time. 1 out of 10 times or so, I can login but I get 'null null' and it shows 'name [email protected]' on one of the screens. I can't get back to it because it's been showing 'loading' for minutes now. I can't stop it. There's no way the company is selling these phones in this condition. Someone at FP HAD to have opened the MyFreedomPOP app more than once to ensure it works....right?

So do I just have a flaky phone?
    Rastoma, I get the same "weak signal" message even when I have full bars. I emailed support, still waiting for an answer.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 'bars' on front screen, I believe is strength of CDMA voice calls. Data strength can be viewed in settings>about>stats>signal.strength My ZTE shows it in dBm and also asu. When asu is below 8, calling is challenging. 8 & bigger is pretty good. dBm is good from -60 to -82 or so. Weak -85 to -99 and smaller. That's what I could see in my Victory phone. My ZTE seems to do a bit better with 4 asu's.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • KENNETH BOYLANKENNETH BOYLAN Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    You may need to tap the Fpop Messaging app and tap the upper left corner over the three little lines. That will let you tap Settings near the bottom of the screen. Look for anything that appears to suppress the non-wifi data signals, such as in Network, "Available on WIFI" instead of "Always available. "I'm allowed to use mobile" needs to be selected.

For Incoming and Outgoing, all three should be checked: Use WiFi, Use 3G (& better) and Use other nets; so six check marks.

If this doesn't fix, post again.
  • ZHIJIA XUEZHIJIA XUE Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    From the issue you have. you have to change the phone..
    Lee Boylan,
    Thanks for your help. It did not help with mine.
  • Thomas GarnerThomas Garner Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Same phone same issues. Battery goes from 100% to 0% in about 5 hours. No cellular calls at all. Only works on wifi. Called 5 times now, been put on hold and forgotten about 4 of those times, no one answered the last time. This phone and service both appear to be a joke.
    Twice when i called they questioned where I got the phone, when I told them I ordered it from them, they put me on hold and left, or went to lunch or ran away or something.
  • Kyle CanadayKyle Canaday Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I also have a problem with my LG Viper. I called my wife phone and it ring in at home but she said she could hear me but I could not hear her. So I went to to work 19 miles away and try it, I ring her but now she could not hear and I could not hear her. Please try to help me. I also try calling FP but was on hold for 25 minute.
  • ZHIJIA XUEZHIJIA XUE Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    Is this problem under WIFI or 4G? WIFI usually is good. But 4G will depend on the signal

No cellular calls at all. .

You may be under the misconception I have been until a couple of days ago.

Your phone on FP doesn't make cellular calls. It never has and never will. It's really not clear when reading the features about FP.

All phone calls your FP phone are data calls. You phone will use WiFi if you're at a hotspot to make a phone call. And if you are traveling down the road in your vehicle, the phone will data/internet from the cell towers to make the phone call. It does NOT a cellular phone call ever. Calls away from wifi all go through 3G/4G internet connections.

That's why I was seeing full bars of service and still having horrible voice connections. It's because my 3G service in my area is almost non-existent even though the cellular band itself is at 100% in my area.

And I'm getting a feeling that the majority of the people who are having problems and are complaining are not understanding that FreedomPOP is not using Sprint's cellular towers in the traditional way. All phone calls go through the internet no matter where you're at.

It works great at hotspots but my 3g/4g coverage is very spotty.

• Jason  LiJason Li Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie

MyFreedomPOP app still crashes most of the time. 1 out of 10 times or so, I can login but I get 'null null' and it shows 'name [email protected]' on one of the screens. I can't get back to it because it's been showing 'loading' for minutes now. I can't stop it. There's no way the company is selling these phones in this condition. Someone at FP HAD to have opened the MyFreedomPOP app more than once to ensure it works....right?

So do I just have a flaky phone?

1. I got the "null null" too. Do we really need that app thou? I could call/text fine without logging in to that app. It seems like the only purpose is to keep track of our account.

2. To improve voice quality, I followed instructions from this thread (https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/1851/improve-voice-quality-on-your-freedompop-android-phone). There was a slight but noticeable improvement in voice quality.

3. Once I did the PRL and phone updates, my phone could use 3g AND 4g to call/text. I'm not sure if the updates were what helped cause I did a lot of other things to my phone, but something worked =D

4. New problem now: touchscreen doesn't respond, even after turning on/off and removing the battery. It seems like a hardware issue, like the touchscreen sensor isn't connected properly. I'll try calling tomorrow, although I'm not too hopeful about wait times. The last time I tried calling, I waited ~25 minutes before I hung up.