ZTE Support Post—Testing-Troubleshooting & Issues you might have (**Update-3/26/15**)

njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in ZTE Force (Phone) #1
I decided to come up with a post to work through some recent issues with the Freedompop ZTE Force. Usually hands on testing and tips from other members will help us work through them. Please post any problems you might have with the ZTE. Please post any troubleshooting tips you have. We have to leave the post as close to standard as possible. I have asked the admins and the Dev Team to frequent this post. Hoping if they see the issues we have, they’ll come up with solutions. I personally have 3 of these phones and I am currently working out the bugs. When posting, please leave out your MEID/ESNs and emails. If needed, I will ask for them in a PM-Me or another Pro.

As I work on the ZTEs and I find solutions, I will post them immediately. Let’s work together to work out all the bugs and find solutions for those that need it. Please keep feedback constructive. We are here to work together, not complain.

Thanks for Reading and I look forward to your tips and solution. I’ll also get to you as quick as possible, if you have any problems with your ZTE. Make sure to use @signs when you send a shout out. Example @njfulwider5.

I'll try and keep the post updated here with any new info from the admin or the dev Team

Support Email sent 3/16/15-Google Play Service Update (see comments below)

OK'd-->>flashing to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM-3/18/15, (see comment below)

Freedompop Release(ZTE/Viper - Can’t make calls/texts (unable to sign into app) Click link- 3/19/15
https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/8283/zte-viper-can-t-make-calls-texts-unable-to-sign-into-app#latest

Step By Step Instructions to upgrade the ZTE to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean-(3/21/2015)

go to the play store and look for Mega v1 by mega limited--download the app...and than click on the second link below-make sure to use your phones browser(little icon of the world)...find this post,,,click the link below--when the phone ask-download it to the sd.

1. Download the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM file referenced in the Wiki and copy to the phone's SD card. Here is the direct link to the file from that link:

https://mega.co.nz/#!WwUAWRwC!c7UKnKvHzurIdrE6hLOx5kbAi5y7b1KKtVKw5vKXesk

2. Boot into the custom recovery. Both my ZTE phones had ClockworkMod Recovery v6.0.3.0 pre-installed (see attached photo)
a. Power off your phone.
b. After it’s shut down, hold simultaneously the ‘Power’ button and the ‘Volume down’ button for a few seconds. Then, release them and you should see a list with options.

3. Wipe data/factory reset
a. Select this option by using the Volume up/down buttons to move navigate the menu and use the power button to make the selection.
b. On the next confirmation screen, select "Yes - delete all user data". I had to navigate up a few times to see the "yes" option. After it completes you will see the main menu again.

4. Wipe dalvik cache
a. From the main menu, navigate down and select the "advanced" option, select it, then select the option "wipe dalvik cache".
b. Confirm by selecting "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache". This will complete fast and immediately return you back to the "advanced" menu.

5. Install the new ROM:
a. If you are the advanced menu, select option "go back" to navigate to the main menu.
b. Select "install zip from sdcard".
c. Select "choose zip from sdcard".
d. Locate and select the zip file from the location on the sd card you copied from step #1.
e. Confirm the install by selecting "Yes - Install ZTE_FORCE_JB_SAWBONES.zip"

6. Reboot phone
a. Select "Go Back"
b. Select "reboot system now". It takes a little over one minute to boot the first time, so don't worry as long as you see word "Android" on the screen it's working.

To see a screen shot of Clockwork ModeRecovery v6.0.3.0--look Here!!!

guide on getting it back on FP after you do the upgrade.

1. Once booted, go to the Settings and update the PRL and Profile.
2. Go to the Play Store and Log in to your Gmail account.
3. Then download the FreedomPop messaging app and install it. Login to the app and it will finish FP config
4. If you download the MyFreedomPop app after step 2, it'll give a one time 200MB data chunk.
5. Download Freedompop Voicemail app after step 3, only if you plan on using voice mail.
6. Delete the messaging app-from the main screens- that came with the JB ROM and use the FP one instead. You can also delete that funky visual voicemail app it came with.(please keep finger pushed on the app till it allows you to swipe it to the trash can)

This Release is covered by Freedompop warranty as long as you still have one on the phone. Right now this is the only official Release.

--->>>Don't forget to "Like", "Insightful" or "Awesome" if this post was helpful B) <<<---</b>

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

Post edited by njfulwider5 on

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep hearing allot about charging issues...Take a quick peek at the charger you are using. See if you have a different charger...make sure the new charger uses 5v 850mA or better.(if you have any questions about the charger-shoot me a message here)

sometimes the charger shipped might be defective and a simple swap out will fix....

if you experancing the 50% and shut off issue, or maybe you getting horrible stand by time...I found this on slick deals
    guys says,
    For those of you that think you have a bad battery or very little standby life, this is how I fixed it!

1. Turn off phone and charge until you see solid green led light up
    2. Turn on the phone and keep charging until 100% or green led light up
    3. Then use it normally until it suddenly shut itself off to protect the battery and flashes red led when attempting to turn it on
    4. Repeat 1-3

I received my phone almost a week ago so I guess thats the time it took for me to do 1 full charge and 1 full discharge per day. First couple cycles are rough and the green led never turned on in step 2 even tho it reached 100%. I get roughly about 8 hours of standby on those cycles. By the 4th or 5th one, the green led turn on in step 2. My standby hours have increased to 13 hours. The latest cycle is 1d 15h of standby and still going!

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015 #3
    Freedompop also sent all ZTE customers this email asking you to update your Google play services here

if you didn't get this email-->>
    open up the Freedompop forum on your phone....and than open this post up...and use the hyperlinks in the paragraph below or->>(click on the words HERE!!!)

Will direct you to the play store..

---------------------------------------------------

Update Instructions

Go the following link, click here(open via Google Play Store if prompted)
    Click the green "Update" button
    Once the update is complete, open the FreedomPop Messaging App, all texts/calls should work properly.
    If you are not on your phone reading this, you can also see instructions on how to update here.

If you are still experiencing any issues after this, please contact us at [email protected]

use hyperlinks in instructions above(if reading this on your phone)

----------------------------------------------------
    I'm having trouble making calls and/or receiving texts on my ZTE Freedom Phone
    1.) Go the following link (open via Google Play Store if prompted):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms&hl=en

2.) Click the green "Update" button

3.) Once the update is complete, open the FreedomPop Messaging App, all texts/calls should work properly.
    email sent looks like this

links in instructions above-use hyperlinks(see update instructions)....

• Michael DequinaMichael Dequina Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    Anyone else getting the Google Play "Error retrieving information from server. [DF-DFERH-01]" error? I can't browse anything on the app, much less upgrade/install apps. I did the time zone fix, update PRL/profile, etc./clear data and cache on both Google Play services and Google Play store, but nothing working. Needless to say the link that FreedomPop sent out via e-mail is of no use since while I can access the URL on a browser, when I attempt to then have it open in Google Play app, I can't open it via the app to install/update. Everything else is working--calls work on cell and wifi, apps that I have been able to download from Amazon and other sources work. Oddly enough since I have notifications for app updates checked on my Google Play app, I get the notifications that new versions of apps are available, but when I click on the notification to try to update, the DF-DFERH-01 error persists. Thanks in advance.
    edited March 2015 #5
    Great News all....I made a few calls and sent a few emails....we are all a go on updating to Android 4.1.2

allot of people are finding that you can just update to android 4.1.2 and than visit the play store and download the freedompop apps--and your golden....

here is the instructions

Information on flashing to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM

http://androidforums.com/threads/finally-a-working-jelly-bean-rom-public-release-update-from-ics.886408/

Download Mirror: https://mega.co.nz/#!WwUAWRwC!c7UKnKvHzurIdrE6hLOx5kbAi5y7b1KKtVKw5vKXesk

The connection optimizer app crashes from the JB rom. Here's a working version that you can install to fix the issue:

http://androidforums.com/threads/finally-a-working-jelly-bean-rom-public-release-update-from-ics.886408/page-6#post-6912053

**Note: Some people's phones will already come with Clockwork Recovery Mod v6.0.3.0

After flashing, go to the Play Store and search for FreedomPop and install the messaging, phone, voicemail, etc apps. The default apps do not work.
    quick instructions--->>>

Your phone should already have clockwork mode...so you just need to download the Rom on the SD card...boot into recoverymode...select-wipe data/factory reset, wipe dalvik and than choose the Rom you downloaded to the SD--it will install and your done...

some people are also creating a backup of the current rom, just encase there not happy with JB
    If I can't get the links to work here on the forum, please visit slick deals here

http://slickdeals.net/f/7609918-freedompop-zte-force-lte-smartphone-certified-pre-owned-b-stock-25-free-shipping?page=77

Please only do this if you feel comfortable doing....if done incorrect you can brick your cell phone....Freedompop should be posting one soon...stay tuned and I'll point you to this post as soon as it is available...

any questions....post them below...

------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE-3/19/2015
    Hey guys...if you find out your ZTE does not have Clockwork Recovery Mod(But it usually does)

check this links out

http://androidforums.com/threads/recovery-unofficial-cwm-v6-0-4-4.749083/

People are finding that updating to Android version 4.1 and using the ZTE--most of the problems go away. It seems to be more compatible with this android version. Just make sure after the update you go back to the play store and download---

Freedompop messaging

My Freedompop

Freedompop Voicemail

and any other you might need....

• Robert ConnorRobert Connor Posts: 76FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi again,
    I also have a question that I would love an answer to. Why can't I do my texting in landscape whenever I use Freedompop text app? Your app is the only one that would not do landscape.
    Thanks!!
    A big thanks to Njfulwider5 for bringing a help to the ZTE Force users here!! I will keep an eye on your post.
    I have a same problem like Michael does.
    edited March 2015 #9
    @Michael Dequina @Robert Connor

try this link....open this post on your phone and click this link

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.gms&hl=en

if this don't work, let me know and i try and find another...

these are the ones i pulled out of the email--

http://link.freedompopalert.com/u.d?A4GumqifcBytsV8i8iQo=161

http://link.freedompopalert.com/u.d?dYGumqifcBytsV8i8iQi=181

if none of these links work for you @sign me back here...

this is just to update Google Play Service

Well, I managed to update the Android OS on my phone. It DOES resolve all the issues I was having with my phone AND get two apps to work beautifully!! I do recommend that one has to follow the instructions on how to update OS VERY carefully. I was pretty worried that my phone would fail me in any emergency situation I might get in on my travelling this weekend. Now I believe I won't have any problem. All thanks to njfulwider5!
  • stitus5stitus5 Posts: 23FreedomPop Newbie
    Phone is working! Initially I was not able to get wifi or data connection, and an "Error Code 67" flashed on the screen. I was later able to get wifi, but data didn't work until upgrading to JellyBean. Battery now seems to charge faster, phone starts/transitions faster, etc. I am not sure what the connection optimizer was for, but if I notice any problems I will look into it more.
  • Chris AbelChris Abel Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I just received a ZTE Force phone from FreedomPop. I am able to call, make texts, and connect to the web on my wifi, but as soon as I shut my wifi off, nothing works. I have almost full service and I see a 4G icon. The up arrow always lights up when trying to access anything on the web, but I never receive anything until it says connection timed out.

I tried updating my Profile and PRL and this is the error I get:

Update PRL: The operation failed. Authentication failure
    Update Profile: The operation failed. Error code: 24833

The network status of my phone looks like this:
    Network: Unknown
    Signal strength: -109 dBm 30 asu
    Mobile network type: LTE:13
    Service state: In service
    Roaming: Not roaming
    Mobile network state: Connected
    My phone number:
    000-000-3350 (This obviously is not my number)
    PRL Version 44021

I did upgrade my phone to Jellybean using the method most people have used here: http://androidforums.com/threads/finally-a-working-jelly-bean-rom-public-release-update-from-ics.886408/

I'm not exactly sure if my phone was working fine before the upgrade to Jelly bean though. The first thing I did when I got the phone was upgrade it to Jelly bean. I did not check to see if the old ROM was working fine.
  • goobygooby Posts: 58FreedomPop Newbie
    Whenever they post info on updating the ROM, assuming I'm understanding correctly, will that void the warranty? I don't even know what the warranty is but it'd be nice to know if it will be broken with a ROM update if the update info is posted by FP.
    I would still say that the upgrading Android OS is the way to go. BUT, in my case, the voicemail keeps asking me to update it and I could not update it because I do not see anywhere to tap "update." That is the only glitch I have with the JB on my phone.
    Big kudos to njfulwider5 for trying to make us, the ZTE Force users, happy. :)
  • crystal harriscrystal harris Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    Im also experiencibg the same ussue as Michael and Robert
    any help would be awesome
    thanks
  • Alberto RuizAlberto Ruiz Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    Weird, I received an email about Google play service exactly youbut it said installed but no update. Probably, I might flash it later on.
    @Chris Abel
    make sure when you update the profile and PRL, you are using a good wifi connection....make sure it is a home network, and not a shared network-like a college/McDonalds..

@gooby /
    I got the ok to update to the Android 4.1.2 yesterday from Freedompop--This was the only reason I posted it...Please only do this if you feel comfortable....(freedompop is suppose to release a better how to later)

@crystal harris
    How do you feel about updating to Android 4.1.2?

@Chris Abel
    make sure when you update the profile and PRL, you are using a good wifi connection....make sure it is a home network, and not a shared network-like a college/McDonalds..

Yep. Using home Time Warner Cable network with plain ole netgear wireless router. Nothing seems to work... Someone had told me it is a problem on FreedomPops end and I will have to call support.

edited March 2015 #19
    @Chris Abel
    There is a chance you need an account refresh..I'll send a shout out to the admins and see if one is available..

@Jay A. @LolaBee @Jorge Morales

Thanks, @njfulwider5. I've rooted and flashed before, but I think I'll wait until FP posts something. That way if I have issues I can to back and say, "but you said to do this!" :)

For anyone who updated to the 4.1 ROM njfulwider5 mentioned, are you able to install apps to the external SD card (the one you insert into the phone, not the one built into the phone)? I can do that with the current 4.0.4 version and don't want to lost that ability.
    edited March 2015 #22
    @gooby /
    there is a chance they wont release one...if they think this one is going fine..they might not? But I can tell you---I asked for almost 2 weeks to get the OK...and Yesterday the Freedompop Dev Team gave me the OK...

I only ask that you only do this if you feel comfortable...

@gooby /
    You are right about the apps....anything on the phone will get deleted when you update to android 4.1.2....so keep anything you want to save on the SD card...Thanks for the clarification...I should have written that somewhere...

Thanks both of ya. I eventually stopped getting the constant Google Play error messages and was able to update my apps yesterday but didn't know if the update to a more recent build was approved. I think I'll wait to see how this all pans out, just so I don't risk bricking my phone. Cheers!
    @gooby /
    Not a problem...should be pretty easy for you if you have done this in the past. Took me around 15 mins or so to do it this morning on a test phone...That was after reading the instructions around 100 times for another 8 hours...

keep me informed---also check out the Slick deals link...lots of people have already left feedback on it there also..

http://slickdeals.net/f/7609918-freedompop-zte-force-lte-smartphone-certified-pre-owned-b-stock-25-free-shipping?page=77

@Jorge Morales Have you had a chance to look into my issue with PRL and Profile errors?