Device Won't Perform a System Update

taelifaytaelifay Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
About once a day my phone prompts me to download the newest OS update. When I go through the process of restarting for the update a screen comes up and asks if I want to download. My options are No, No, Yes download untrusted zip (or whatever the last word is) and Go Back. Yes, it says no twice... If I select yes it goes through the boot and then on the script of the download it says the download failed. The screen goes by too fast for me to catch anything else.

A LOT of my apps are forceclosing. Friends who have this device that are fully updated do not have this issue and I'd love to have this resolved. Thanks.

Comments

• njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @taelifay /
    if you have a freedompop Branded S3, your device will error out on the Upgrade to Android 4.4.4. or service updates..

Right now there is no Standard fix freedompop has. I guess the rom they use keeps it from updating. It will do this on Service updates also.

Make sure you do not delete this update. If you delete this update...it is possible your phone will try and re-download when your using data(3g/4g) service and take all you have allotted.

There are ways to download, but I don't think I am at liberty to discuss here. Feel Free to PM me for instructions and the ok from a admin.

if this is a std BYOD S3 you shouldn't have any issues upgrading to 4.4.4...

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Harry ReedHarry Reed Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    Jay, could you provide the steps to update my Galaxy S3? I have the exact same problem.
    @Jay_FreedomPop -Sorry, I forgot to tag you in my post directly above so you'd get a notification. Thanks.
  • Robert GlassmyerRobert Glassmyer Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    @Jay_FreedomPop @njfulwider5 I'm having the same issue myself, if someone could provide the instructions for me as well. Greatly appreciated!
    @Jay_FreedomPop - that worked. Thanks!
    @Jay_FreedomPop - I spoke too soon. The process you described above appeared to work for my Galaxy S3, but 12 hours after I restarted the phone, the system update downloaded again, then I got the "Untrusted Update" message. Any other suggestions before I send the phone back?
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Harry Reed

@taelifay /
    if you have a freedompop Branded S3, your device will error out on the Upgrade to Android 4.4.4. or service updates..

Right now there is no Standard fix freedompop has. I guess the rom they use keeps it from updating. It will do this on Service updates also.

Make sure you do not delete this update. If you delete this update...it is possible your phone will try and re-download when your using data(3g/4g) service and take all you have allotted.

There are ways to download, but I don't think I am at liberty to discuss here. Feel Free to PM me for instructions and the ok from a admin.

if this is a std BYOD S3 you shouldn't have any issues upgrading to 4.4.4...

there is nothing you can do about it if the phone is a freedompop branded phone. if you delete it, it will come back. If you reset the phone. It will come back. If you try and run it, it will error out. You not alone. It does this to all Freedompop branded S3...

I read somewhere where a guy had to go into recovery and change some thing around--But I am not sure where I seen that post. If I stumble onto it-I throw up a link here. The Notification is just a irritating eye sore.

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• taelifaytaelifay Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    Hello guys! The same thing that happens to @Harry Reed happened to me. It worked for less than a day and then it came back to wanting me to download it.

I will be messaging @njfulwider5 about his fix
  • taelifaytaelifay Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I cant seem to find the pm button option on the site @njfulwider5
    @Jay_FreedomPop The evo is a byod I bought for my son, my wife and I both have Galaxy S3s that were purchased from freedompop through groupon on the black Friday sale. It's the S3s we're getting updates for.
    @Jay_FreedomPop Also, since the update download showed up, which was several weeks ago for my phone, possibly a month, and a week ago for my wife's, whenever we get up on a call the screen blanks out and there's no way to return to it. Power cycling the phone is the only way I can find to end the call, is this related to the update as well? Or does the messaging app need to be updated or downloaded again?
  • Jamie MacDonaldJamie MacDonald Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm also having this same problem with my FreedomPop branded S3. I do not delete the update--each time I tell it to go ahead and install the untrusted update. Unfortunately my phone just keeps trying and trying. Every 2 days it burns through anther 85 MB of my data downloading it yet again.

@Jay_FreedomPop -- please escalate this issue. It is clearly a problem specific to the freedompop branded phones and that problem is wiping out our data allowances.

While a fix is being worked on, I'm hoping someone can come up with a work-around to preserve our limited data.
    @njfulwider5, @Jay_FreedomPop -- If I can't install the update, is there any way I can at least prevent my phone from repeatedly downloading it (or at least restrict downloading to when I'm on WiFi)?
    @njfulwider5 Is this the thread you are referring to?

The post references updating directly with Kies, but doesn't include detailed instructions. I'm unfamiliar with Kies, but will start googling tonight and see if I can figure something out. I'll be sure to write down what I'm doing as I go so I can post instructions if I can manage to get it to work.
  • Lynn PfeifferLynn Pfeiffer Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I also have been getting this update for about 5 weeks now invalid signiture can nor verify etc on my freedom pop branded samsung s3 i have.allowed it to update until today. I read somewhere ig you continue to update this it eill freeze your wifi rendering it unable to use then data only usage. True or not i do not known but suggestion was to click on update it later and just let it sit in notificstions and it will prevent more downloads to happen cant promise this will help but maybe stop downloading this update until a real solution is given..
    Using Kies to update the phone did indeed stop the perpetual update nonsense however it did so by updating the firmware on the phone to the Sprint install. Afterwards I was able to install the FreedomPop Messaging app and my service seems to working the same as before.
    The Sprint update does come with several apps that you'll probably want to clean up.
    Anyhow, I can't say that I recommend this approach, especially if @Lynn Pfeiffer s more minimal approach above resolves the data burn issue. But for those who feel comfortable doing it, here's what I did:

Download Kies ( http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/ )
    Install on computer
    With Kies running, connect phone via USB cable
    Kies will identify connected device--may require disconnecting device to install driver. Reconnect when done.
    Software Update popup: Do you want to download and update Galaxy S III now?
    Cancel to run backup (note however that backup won't save the FreedomPop firmware)
    On Back up/Restore tab select items to back up and then click Backup button.
    Disconnect and reconnect phone
    Select Next on Software Update popup
    Note that the Software Update popup is set to always be on top and the update will take a while (~20 minutes for me), so you might want to do this when you won't be needing your computer for other purposes while it's running.
    Restart phone
    Install FreedomPop messaging app from Play store.