Why does Galaxy S3 overheats in 3G?

vijujvijuj Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
Galaxy S3 overheats in 3G
@Ali
I received my Galaxy S3 from FreedomPop 2 days ago and I am facing couple of issues. Any help would be appreciated.

1) It works fine on WiFi. But the moment I turn WiFi off or move out where there is no WiFi, the phone starts getting hot and in 10 minutes or less, it is so hot that I need to switch it off. This happens in 3G only. Phone is literally useless. Battery is not so hot, only the bottom half of the phone is.

2) Phone never shows 4G/LTE even though I live in an area where it shows Sprint 4G/LTE available.

Thanks.

Answers

• KELLIE LARUEKELLIE LARUE Posts: 148FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Greetings @vijuj I actually do know the cause of these issues. I have a GS3 and I love it. And I'm in the same situation as you. I'm in a LTE coverage area, but it's only fair coverage according to the sprint map. So when I'm in my house, I don't get LTE because for one, I have a big tree in my back yard , and the LTE isn't so good in my area, thus I only get 3g. I do, however, get LTE when I travel in town or out of town because it's more coverage there.

For the overhearing issues, it does that because the phone is trying really hard to obtain a good signal, resulting in the device getting hotter then usual. To fix this, try to turn LTE off by:

Settings

More networks under connections tab

Tap mobile network

Then set to CDMA only which will force the phone not to look for an LTE signal, which should make for less overheating problems ( your results may vary)

Check the sprint coverage map for your area to see the quality of the LTE:

Sprint.com/covarge
    The NeXus Evoluzione B)
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you attempted a Profile and PRL? make sure your on wifi

Settings>>>>more tab>>scroll down to System update

update the profile, and than the PRL

also make sure you have your network mode set to CDMA/LTE/EVDO and your using connection optimizer..

Settings>>>>more network>>>Mobile Networks>>>Network mode

from a hardware point>>>pull the battery out and make sure that all the contact are clean. make sure none are bent. make sure the pins on the cover are still making contact when it closes.

also do a quick test to see if the battery is bad...pull the battery out...place on a flat table face up...and spin. If it spins like a top(you need to replace)...if it doesn't spin or is hard to spin. Your battery hasn't got hot enough to switch it yet...

If you have any more questions about your S3 feel free to @sign me here or just drop me a line(PM-Private message)

please keep us informed.

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy @vijuj and sorry for reading this late! It looks like you're having issues with your SIII's network mode. As @KELLIE LARUE suggested, you should set your network mode to CDMA/LTE. As for your overheating issues, this is actually something that happens when the CDMA radio is activated. If it gets too hot where it delivers a warning, I would suggest getting an RMA issued. If not, I would suggest not using a high amount of data while on 3G (save it for when LTE works) so that your phone isn't pulling too much data and works. I hope this works for you :)
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2015 #5
    @vijuj /
    after you attempt as i suggested...This will tell me if the device is having hardware issues or software issues. Take from a fellow S3 user, You phone's software is made to protect it from overheating...

when you get a chance...

Thanks

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

@vijuj Please try whatever you feel is necessary. I use an SIII as well and this worked for me :)

@njfulwider5 STOP NOW.
    edited March 2015 #7
    Thanks for reading
    @Jorge M.
    when you get a chance, before i start my troubleshooting can you make sure all is good on the account side
    Post edited by njfulwider5 on

@njfulwider5 Sorry however I was asked for help by the OP and you had downplayed / negated my post which is why I responded. Please stop.
    edited March 2015 #9
    Thanks for reading

@njfulwider5 Already contacted, have fun. You were downplaying, no more speaking on this.

@vijuj I am extremely sorry for what happened, please try what was mentioned and let us know what happens :)
    edited March 2015 #11
    !!!Sorry!!did mean to quote

edited March 2015 #12
    Ali said:

Howdy @vijuj and sorry for reading this late! It looks like you're having issues with your SIII's network mode. As @KELLIE LARUE suggested, you should set your network mode to CDMA/LTE. As for your overheating issues, this is actually something that happens when the CDMA radio is activated. If it gets too hot where it delivers a warning, I would suggest getting an RMA issued. If not, I would suggest not using a high amount of data while on 3G (save it for when LTE works) so that your phone isn't pulling too much data and works. I hope this works for you :)

@vijuj Let us know what happens after attempting. Sorry for the kerfuffle!
  • vijujvijuj Posts: 11FreedomPop Newbie
    @Ali
    thank you for the reply. My phone is already set to CDMA/LTE. But it never shows LTE in the signal area even though I live in the sf bay area where sprint and freedompop shows lte coverage. I have also tried update profile and update prl couple of times and also updated messaging app to the latest version, but no difference. When it gets too hot it goes to safe mode. The interesting thing is that it gets hot even if I am not doing anything. Just being in 3g area and making a 1 sec call is enough. It starts getting heated up. How do I do RMA if needed?

@njfulwider5 I did the battery thing. It doesn't rotate which k believe shows battery is ok. Battery doesnt get hot, only the phone. Battery contacts are ok.
    Thanks

• KELLIE LARUEKELLIE LARUE Posts: 148FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @vijuj Ok try this first: http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?ECID=vanity:coverage and see if it says Fair LTE or Best LTE. This just means how good the 4g LTE is in your area. Then do this:

-Settings

-More networks under connections tab

-Network mode

-Ok now switch the phone Cdma only then back to CDMA/LTE/EVDO. This forces the phone to look for a 4g lte Signal.
    The NeXus Evoluzione B)
    Thanks @KELLIE LARUE . I checked the coverage using that link for Galaxy S3 and it shows "Sprint 4G LTE BEST". I switched to CDMA and back to CDMA/LTE (phone restarted with each change). BTW, the option says CDM/LTE. there is no EVDO.
    Still phone does not show LTE in the status area. Only 3G and the same heating problem. Heating is by not doing anything. Just surfing for couple of seconds or making a 1 sec call in 3G is enough. It starts heating up to extremely high level. Something wrong with the phone?
    Hello @Ali I saw your post about activation issues with 4G/LTE and the need for deactivating and activating the account. Will that be the issue with my phone? I have contacted and admin @Jorge M. regarding this.
    HELP PLEASE!!! I contacted couple of admins. I was on the phone three times one hour each just to leave a message at the end. I got to speak to a representative the 4th time (after 3 1/2 hours total on phone) and he said he will send an email later the day with instructions to update MRL. That is it. No email after a day. Now I have to spend hours again on the phone. If any of you know how to check my account, please help. Please...
    @Jorge M. @Ali @Jay_FreedomPop @FreedomPop
    vijuj said:

HELP PLEASE!!! I contacted couple of admins. I was on the phone three times one hour each just to leave a message at the end. I got to speak to a representative the 4th time (after 3 1/2 hours total on phone) and he said he will send an email later the day with instructions to update MRL. That is it. No email after a day. Now I have to spend hours again on the phone. If any of you know how to check my account, please help. Please...

• S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @vijuj Did you check your spam folder in your email? My emails from FreedomPop all get thrown into spam. :/
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
  • Viju JamesViju James Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    @S MP yes I did. No freedompop email in spam folder
  • S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Is Sprint Connection optimizer turned on?

(I also have an S3, and noticed today when I went into an LTE area it got pretty warm and took a while to connect to LTE. I had to sit in one place for a bit, but when I turned on Connection Optimizer it connected quickly.)

It's worth a shot.

:)
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
  • Viju JamesViju James Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    @S MP yes, Sprint Connection optimizer is on.
    I am thinking of returning the phone now. Talked to cust rep twice. First person said he will email me a MSL code, but never sent. Second rep said he will email me the RMA instructions. That email too never came (not in junk folder too.) I am stuck with a dead phone :-(
    @Ali @Jorge M.
    OK. I ended up with the decision to return the phone. Finally I got the RMA email and packed up the phone. No more worries. Thanks for all the help.