**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Unable to send texts (similar problem to at least two other unresolved threads)

PMPopPMPop Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
I have worked with @Taylor (User Not Active) in the past with another BYOD phone, but I don't know if "(User Not Active)" means that he doesn't work here anymore or what. I see that @Ali and @njfulwider5 are fairly active at helping people out lately, but it's not clear to me whether they(/you) are the right people to talk to about it. I'll just post my issue here and see what happens:

BYOD, clean phone, with every bit of software and firmware up to date. I have successfully received texts, but have never successfully sent a text. My sent messages are not even showing up in the Text tab of My Usage Details.

During the first day or two, I received incoming texts just fine but sending outgoing texts produced a red sign next to my message. After a couple days, the red signs went away but messages still would not reach their recipient.

Have unsuccessfully tried Force Stop and Clear Data, as recommended here:
https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/8011/new-fp-user-cant-send-texts-but-can-receive-texts-make-calls-and-apps-work-fine-help

Have just unsuccessfully tried ##786# MSL reset, as recommended here:
https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/4431/cant-make-a-call-i-can-receive-calls-and-send-receive-text

What next? And if this can't resolve with my BYOD, can I get a refund?

Comments

• Hello @PMPop your account has been synced and refreshed, please let us if the issue persists.
    "Don't forget to vote on our latest Poll for a chance to win some FreedomPop gear! :) https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/7284/where-do-you-take-your-portable-hotspot-device#latest"
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PMPop Did the refresh work for you?
  • PMPopPMPop Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
    Thank you for getting back to me quickly, @LolaBee Not only does the text message issue appear to be persisting, but today outgoing call quality is terrible as well. I can hear incoming audio just fine, but outgoing quality is choppy. Spectacularly unhappy at this moment. I hope that your day is going better!

Once again: "And if this can't resolve with my BYOD, can I get a refund?"
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PMPop Call quality is generally related to your internet speed. If you're getting bad quality I would recommend changing the clock rate to 44.1 kHz and selecting all media codecs.
    @Ali Thank you for your help. Selecting all codecs sounds like an odd thing to do, but I'll do it. I will test it out over time, as the texting issue gets resolved.
    @LolaBee @Ali Just an update: Still cannot send text messages. And the one phone call I made today worked better than the one yesterday, but the recipient complains that the volume is very low on my side. Is there a way to control the outbound volume? The inbound audio sounds fine.
    PMPop said:

@LolaBee @Ali Just an update: Still cannot send text messages. And the one phone call I made today worked better than the one yesterday, but the recipient complains that the volume is very low on my side. Is there a way to control the outbound volume? The inbound audio sounds fine.

Mmm, still waiting. Help?
    Is there a way to get a refund if this service is never going to work right? Is there someone else I should be trying to contact?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PMPop you need one real good go with an admin to stick around until successful. Let's try some here, @Jorge M. @Javonni_Freedompop @K_Ber and see who comes in around 9 PST and sees this first.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    Thank you so much, @Rich Sias (16th) . I really would love for this to work out; I've even grown kinda fond of my phone number and everything.

If I can get my existing BYOD phone to work, that would be great, but I wonder if the phone itself is being a problem. If I weren't already $20 into the setup fee for the BYOD, I'd consider getting the $25 ZTE deal that's on offer right now ― https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/8138/slickdeals-zte-force-lte-smartphone-for-25-free-shipping#latest
    Thank you again to @Rich Sias (16th) for trying to help me get some attention from higher-ups. Unfortunately, @Jorge M. @Javonni_Freedompop and @K_Ber never came around, and @LolaBee never came back.

Still unable to send outbound texts. Also, is it normal for inbound phone calls to take five rings to start ringing on my end?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @PMPop five sounds like a LOT of long time to me. I might expect 1 - 2 ringy-dingys after all it is VoIP in beta test mode. To me 3 - 7 rings is getting excessive. Time to redo the settings for better performance.

Check out hints in the TIPS category.
    Roughly twenty days with no resolution to my texting problem, and most of the staff are oblivious or ignoring me. This is awkward!

Thanks yet again, @Rich Sias (16th) , I appreciate your assistance with my ringing issue a lot. Although I wasn't able to find anything specifically about my problem, this post seems like it could possibly help, so I will try it out tomorrow. https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/comment/42129/#Comment_42129
    "Experimenting with codecs. Speex 8 for FP might sound a bit better than the defaults. It rings after 3 sec instead of 13 sec. Speex 16 similar."

No idea whether it will affect incoming calls, but I'll find out soon enough.
    Have switched priority to Speex codecs. 2 rings outbound before a ring (better), 9 rings inbound before a ring (worse).

And when I rejected the outbound call (rather than cancel the call on my end), FreedomPop stayed on the line and would not turn off. I had to do a battery pull.

Still can't send texts.

Hey @Jorge M. @Javonni_Freedompop @K_Ber and @LolaBee , how are your days going?
    For whatever it might be worth, I signed up to FreedomPop mostly to help me stay in touch with my disabled mother. She's been asking me for over a week now if I need to get another service or another phone, and said that I should ask if you guys would offer a credit to put toward that other ($25 ZTE Force Lite) phone that was on offer. I said that I'd already asked a question along those lines, but that I'd ask again.

I see now that the particular deal I was looking at is no longer available, so I'm not even sure what else could be possible. Help? Like, real and actual help? Please? @Jorge M. @Javonni_Freedompop @K_Ber @LolaBee
    Four weeks since I started asking for help. I still can't text, inbound calls still take several rings before one ring on my end. Tech support has apparently just stopped responding to me at all.

Directly @ contacting people doesn't work; asking for help doesn't work; saying please doesn't work. I'm not sure of any other avenues to pursue right now. Any ideas, @Ali or @Rich Sias (16th) ?
    They recently announced Premium Voice for $2.99 mo. It will switch from VoIP to normal CDMA cell radio even mid call when it detects the data signal as being too weak to support the call. It does it at beginning of call too. They are in final stages of fighting it out with all the lawyers once done we can all benefit. This could help the weak, garbled, & hard to hear calls. Not sure if it helps with texting, though. Hopefully it becomes available in next few weeks.
    Thank you yet again, @Rich Sias (16th). If only the actual tech support staff got back to me as often as you do.

I'm trying to decide whether to start a thread elsewhere in the forum, in hopes of getting staff attention again, but I really don't want to be spammy or aggressive. It's odd that @LolaBee specifically said to let them know if the issue persists, but then never responded again. Strange and awkward.
    Just an update to anyone who stumbles across this thread with similar problems: All of my Freedompop issues remain unresolved to this day.
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,376 admin
    Hello @PMPop sorry to hear that your issues are still present. I will have a forum agent further assist you in resolving this. Please check the email associated with your forum profile as an agent will contact you. Replying to the email from support can be done as you would a regular email (no need to log-in into Zendesk). :+1:
  • Derek ConderDerek Conder Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I can't send texts from my phone, but it works fine as a phone. I can't find a definitive answer anywhere on these forums to my problem. any help appreciated, I am a newbie.