LG Optimus S Problems

IeryIery Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
Hey there, I've scoured the forums as best as I can, and cannot find an answer to my problem so I was hoping making a post about would get me somewhere. I tried calling support, but, not expecting to be on hold for so long, had some place to be and had to hang up.

So, I just got the phone today, activated it, set things up, and my problem is this:
I can only receive texts after clearing the data for the messaging app. Not just the cache, but data.

This stays working as long as I have the phone in use, but if I've left the phone in timeout for a couple minutes, get back on the phone, let it reconnect to wifi (or just be connected to 3G), I'm stuck not being able to receive texts again.

I've done all I can do from searching the forums, like updating the PRL, and have reset my phone both with dialing ##786# and the Android home+vol-down+power button menu.

My theory is that there is just not enough space on the phone. After activating the phone, Google Play updates, downloads Google Play Services (which I believe is required for the Freedompop app, right?) and then that takes up all the internal space save for about 10MB. I can't even make a new contact as it tells me there's not enough space to do so.

If the issue is space, I'll be pretty frustrated. Having the LG Optimus S as a compatible phone, but unable to use it anyway without any mention on the BYOD list would be kind of sucky. I'm hoping it's not that and I can get some help here to figure out what's going on. If it IS that, is that grounds for activation refund? Because I'd still like to have Freedompop service and will just get another phone, but I don't think it'd be fair for me to pay yet another $20 to activate another phone because of this.

Probably getting ahead of myself at this point though. Any helpful suggestions on how to solve my problem? :P

Answers

• S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    edited March 2015 #2
    Hi @Lery and welcome to the FreedomPop community.

My mother-in-law had an Optimus S and they really don't have much internal storage.

First uninstall as many apps as you can.

If you decide to keep that phone you are going to need to do some tweaking to get the most out of your device.

First, do you have an SD card? The Optimus S can take up to a 32 GB SD card from what I recall.

If you do have an SD card move as many apps as the phone allows you to it. Some apps just can't be moved unfortunately if they are part of the operating system. That would be any of the google apps like - play services.

Your best friend is going to be Link2SD, but you will need to uninstall almost everything you can and you might even need to undo updates so you have the space to install Link2SD.

I would encourage you to google your device and Link2SD to see if that's the route you want to take.

I have it on all of my older devices - Evo 4G Touch, and Galaxy S2 for instance. It makes a huge difference.

BUT...you are never going to be able to use an Optimus S like you would a brand new up to date phone. It was a low end phone even when it was launched.

If you are looking to just use a basic phone that can access webpages, etc. it's a decent option and very very inexpensive.

I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
    I would start by just seeing what apps your phone allows you to move to the SD card without Link2SD. From what I'm reading the Optimus S allows this for lots of apps.

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
    Here are the instructions for your phones OS:

From the home screen, press the Menu key.
    Tap Settings.
    Tap Applications.
    Tap Manage applications.
    Scroll to and tap the desired application.
    To move the application to the memory card, tap Move to SD card.
    To move the application from the memory card, tap Move to phone.

edited March 2015 #5
    Oh, and If you don't have a card yet:

The max for your phone - microSD, microSDHC up to 32 GB (Smaller is fine...but don't go too small. I would at least get 8 GB.)

Make sure you are careful where you get it, as there are a lot of cheap imitations of legit cards out there. To be safe, buy from a real store.

Buy a minimum class 6, but higher class ratings are better/faster.

• IeryIery Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    No SD card yet, but that's the direction I was going to go in, along with rooting and using Link2SD, if storage is the issue. I just was hoping there'd be a solution without an additional expense, but ~$10 isn't too bad in the end.

It seems that other than the Freedompop app, there are no other apps or utilities that can be moved to SD, so Link2SD is a must.

I was just hoping for something without so much extra effort.

This is just an extra, secondary phone, so it doesn't need to do much. Take and make calls, send and receive texts, and maybe a little browsing. I dug through the forums before purchasing to see if I'd run into any serious problems, but found nothing, so went ahead.

I'm sorry you took the time to write out so much to help, but if storage is the problem then I already knew what would need to be done. Still, if that's the issue then anyone else getting the Optimus S for Freedompop use is going to run into the same problem, and this thread will be there for them, along with all your great help.

I'll be picking up an SD card today, will work through things, and report back if that solved the issue or not.

Thank you!
    edited March 2015 #7
    You're welcome! Oh well...I still think the Optimus S is a great little phone, and my MIL loves it, but it was quite a bit of work to set up.

You might need to roll back any of your updates and uninstall some apps before you can even install Link2SD...if I recall correctly. It was a while ago when I helped her get set up.

Especially Facebook...that one was killing her phone.

:)

• olrsolrs Posts: 410FreedomPop Newbie
    @lery How is call quality using your LG Optimus S when on 3G (away from WiFi)?
    FYI call quality over 3G is going to depend partly on the speed/reliability of your local network. As long as I have at least 1Mbps down/.5Mbps up calls have been very clear for the last year.

Lately they've been working on my local network and it's been quite choppy. I usually have to be on Wifi to make a phonecall, but text works.

Can't wait for LTE to be up here!!

(You can test your connection speeds with any number of speedtest websites.)

A good one for mobile phones without a lot of space is this web-based service:

testmy.net

• IeryIery Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    I haven't finished doing everything I need to yet. Life got busy.

To really utilize Link2SD, have to root, but on this phone you have to root with an older version, then move up, at least according to what I've been reading. I've done the first part, but the files to more easily root up to the next version, the more automated rooting, are no longer hosted at the links provided on various sites. So, I have to go the more manual route, and haven't had a chance yet.

I'd stick with the older version if I could, no problem to me, but I guess the FreedomPop app isn't even supported on it since it won't show up on the market.

I'll get there in the next couple days though, and I'll provide everything I went through for it.
  • Gregory VernonGregory Vernon Posts: 141FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭
    Just as an FYI, there is a cyanogen mod ROM available for the optimus v. I don't know exactly how compatible it is with the S, but iirc they're basically the same device.