Android system update

R Brent SpearR Brent Spear Posts: 15FreedomPop Newbie
I see an Android system update announcement on my phone. Should I do this update or will it interfere with what Freedompop has running over the current Android OS

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @R Brent Spear You should not update the firmware of your SIII.
  • R Brent SpearR Brent Spear Posts: 15FreedomPop Newbie
    Sorry, software, not firmware. The Android system update announcement says 'this software update includes new enhancements and improvements' so it's not a firmware update.
  • djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    If your S3 is FreedomPop branded, I would definitely not do it.
  • R Brent SpearR Brent Spear Posts: 15FreedomPop Newbie
    That's what I was thinking (I did buy it from Freedompop) but this is the 2nd announcement about software update and I've only had the phone for a week. My 3rd phone with them and this is the first update not sent from Freedompop.
    I won't update unless someone says otherwise.
  • Thomas MortThomas Mort Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    I'm thinking this is a FP version of the OS update. It flags an unknown source message. I saw a name I think phil or kevin on it.

I've installed a few of them. So far everything is OK. I still have root access.
  • Michael DwyerMichael Dwyer Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    My S4 gets a PhilZ 6.0.4.4 update every week. Install always fails. Getting annoying.
  • Lynn PfeifferLynn Pfeiffer Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    I have a samsung galaxy s3 l710 and I also have been getting these updates every week, It says it cannot verify the signiture do you want to proceed anyway and so far I have said yes an it updates (what I don't know) but it says when done enhancement just for your gallaxy S3. So what is the real deal with this? Should I be updating it and if not how to get it to stop.
  • Jamie MacDonaldJamie MacDonald Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    This same issue is also being discussed in this thread
    The problem seems to be specific to freedompop branded phones (lucky you if you went the BYOD route).

Unfortunately the issue results in repeated downloads of the update (every 2 days for me) and burns through about 85MB of data each time, which will wipe out the 500 MB data allowance pretty quickly. I am unaware of any solution or workaround, but hopefully those who know more will post something in the other thread soon.
  • DarrellRDarrellR Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    I did a no no I updated the firmware now it is no longer a Freedom Pop phone but a Sprint. How can I return it to the Freedom Pop firmware or I out of luck and now have a paper weight. Can someone please help!
  • Jamie MacDonaldJamie MacDonald Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    @DarrellR Have you reinstalled the FreedomPop Messenging app?
    If that doesn't do the trick, worst case scenario you should be in the same situation as people taking the BYOD approach, so you might want to look for help topics for getting that set up.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,281FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ali what solutions does @DarrellR have to choose to try ?
    Are there any NOT needing a ROM that he can try?
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Gerald AbreuGerald Abreu Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Just to add to...So maybe someone from FP will see how far it goes. My Galaxy SIII does the same thing.
  • James LummelJames Lummel Posts: 63FreedomPop Newbie
    Just ignore the update and do NOT try to install it or it will be deleted and downloaded again each time you try, wasting your data if you are on mobile data.

If you went the Kies route and found yourself with a Sprint startup instead of FreedomPop when you turn the phone on, then congratulations on doing the update successfully! Now, if not already loaded, install the FreedomPop messaging app and enjoy, it works fine as does the FP Voicemail app. Just get rid of the Sprint apps from the home screen and substitute the FP ones. This is all the BYOD guys do and it works fine for them, and no more firmware updates that won't install properly either!

I have two Samsung S3 phones and one was changed to the Sprint ROM via Kies and the other was re-flashed using the FP ROM that Ali has and both phones are working wonderfully well now with the only issue being the firmware update message and a pre-existing problem on one of the phones with texting outside the FP network.

You'll find that running the Sprint ROM is no better or worse than running the FP ROM as this stage of the game, assuming you aren't having issues with the FP ROM that is...
    On today's episode of "History in a Nutshell":

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....
  • Matthew RoquizMatthew Roquiz Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    If you're Freedompop S3 is rooted (see below) you can disable the Android System Update by downloading the DisableService app from the Play Store. After downloading and installing the app and opening it:
    1. Select the "System" tab
    2. In Google Play Services uncheck SystemUpdateService
    3. Go back
    4. In Google Services Framework uncheck SystemUpdateServices
    5. Go back
    6. In System Update uncheck DebugService and SanService
    7. restart phone

****If you don't know if you're S3's rooted download the app SuperSU from the Play Store. The app should tell you if your S3's rooted when you run it. But I should warn you in advance that once you root your S3 you void Freedompop's warranty. That means they won't accept a return.****

I did that within 72 hours of getting my Freedompop S3 (it was annoying the heck out of me). While I haven't seen the Android System Update message, the Sprint Optimizer Update and Freedompop Configuration Settings message pop up from time to time. Should I run the Optimizer Update? The Freedompop Confiuration Settings Update just freezes...