SIP settings?

bobdolebobdole Posts: 58FreedomPop Newbie
Since FP updated the messaging app to go from CSIP to LINPHONE, it leads me to think that it may be possible for users to CHOOSE what VOIP app they want to use with freedompop phone.
I have an account with RingPlus, and they provide the login details so that users can choose any VOIP client they choose. I have confirmed that on RingPlus, I can have both CSIP and LINPHONE installed and both clients work.
So is there anyway FP users can get the login information so that we can setup our own VOIP client of our choosing?
All that we really need is the userid and password and the domain name. So it's not too much info to ask for.

Comments

• Gregory VernonGregory Vernon Posts: 141FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭
    @bobd Unlike ring plus, freedom pop is completely over data. I'm not disagreeing with you - it would definitely be a nice feature to have - but you wouldn't be able to receive text messages with out the freedom pop client.

It is possible to get your credentials from a rooted phone. They are stored in the sqlite db...
  • bobdolebobdole Posts: 58FreedomPop Newbie
    Yes, I neglected the texting aspect. But just wondering if the voice portion could really be client independent. The nice thing is that now you can 'port' your number to any phone you want on the fly.
    Right now I can use my RingPlus number on any phone using any SIP client. It would be nice if the same can be done on freedom pop account.
    WOW, how did you figure all this out?
    I'll have to give it a try.
    Have you tried this on a non-FP phone to see if calling/receiving on FP account can work?
  • Gregory VernonGregory Vernon Posts: 141FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭
    When I updated my zte force to jellybean, I played around a little bit. I was able to make and receive calls without having the messaging app installed.

I guess that is still a freedom pop phone, but I think the evidence is there that you can use a sip client on any phone you choose.
    Confirmed working! I tried your instruction on a DIFFERENT phone and it let me dial and receive calls to my freedom pop account.
    It looks like the user ID is 1_.
    The password seem like completely random string, at least I don't recognize it.
    It was pain in the butt entering such long random sting for password.
    At any rate, it works.
  • tonyjustmetonyjustme Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    How do I do this on my Windows Phone? I can place outgoing calls and my data service works just fine straight out of the box. I have been thinking of exactly this same thing all evening, that it must work with a voip username and password if only I knew what they are.

I only wish FP would be more proactive in giving these to people because it would mean that at least people on windows phones could dial and receive phone calls and have a working data service.

Haven't companies yet learned that actually being flexible with their customers leads to greater customer satisfaction and loyalty?

If only they'd be that open-minded!!!

Is there any chance I can retrieve my password?
  • AYoungDukieAYoungDukie Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    Is there any chance this still works?
  • freedomybkfreedomybk Posts: 80FreedomPop Newbie

Why not? I've just received a confirmation that on a rooted android phone one can see its own sip credentials but I don't have such a phone and haven't tried it myself.
  • sijeffreysijeffrey Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie

I can confirm it does.
  • Jones BoomJones Boom Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    hey, i just tried this and it works for outgoing calls but not for incoming.. i have incoming calls selected in settings..
    is there something else i need to change?
  • freedomybkfreedomybk Posts: 80FreedomPop Newbie

hey, i just tried this and it works for outgoing calls but not for incoming.. i have incoming calls selected in settings..
    is there something else i need to change?

Try to do a network trace on an outgoing call, comparing user id between real FP application and your SIP credentials. I had the same problem and observed different user ids. Copied latest data from com.freedompop.phone.db to SIP client and incoming calls started to work. Not sure about technical reasons behind it.
  • ModVAVetModVAVet Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I know this is older, but I found a method to get your credentials WITHOUT rooting your actual phone!

Some background: I wouldn't even mind using FreedomPop's messaging app, if not for the fact that I had the runaway-data-usage issue within the first week of using it. Basically, it just kept sending some kind of background request to their server repeatedly, for hours. To the point that it burned through my 2GB plan without me even knowing it was happening, and could have cost me a ridiculous amount if I hadn't setup a data usage warning on my phone.

Basically, it's all the same, except you get your creds by installing BlueStacks (an Android gaming emulator) on your PC, and setting up the FreedomPop Text Free & Call Free app (NOT FreedomPop Messaging; it won't install!) on the Bluestacks install. This app operates over SIP and uses the same credentials as the FP Messaging app.

Then, using the BlueStacks Tweaker (bstweaker_dot_tk is the website) you can very easily root your BlueStacks install. BSTweaker has a built-in file manager, which you can then use to copy your /data/data/com.freedompop.phone/databases/com.freedompop.phone.db to anywhere convenient on your PC.

Once you've got it, use something like 'DB Browser for SQLite' to open the database file and locate your credentials. You've got what you need and didn't have to risk your phone's warranty (or, in many cases, deal with an unrootable phone) to do it!

I'm up and going using Zoiper for SIP calls, and can confirm that it's nice and clear on both incoming and outgoing calls. Not to mention, it dials and receives calls faster than FP's own apps! :D