**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Just bought the FreedomPop iPhone 5 and have questions

James LummelJames Lummel FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 63
Hi! I just grabbed a FreedomPop iPhone 5 from the slickdeals.net link and had a few questions, the first of which does it come with the "EarPod" headphones that I guess normally come with the iPhone 5?

Second question is about using FreedomPop with an iPhone. I've been using FreedomPop for phone service since they first started offering it with WiMAX coverage and most recently have been using a Samsung S3. Due to problems with the FreedomPop custom firmware for the S3 that prevents the Amazon App store and Google Drive from working properly, I've been looking for an alternative (given the nature of the problem, what else is broken on the S3 that I DON'T know about??).

I did grab one of the FreedomPop iPad Mini tablets when they first came out and I've actually been mostly happy with the FPop app on iOS.

But since the update to iOS 8 the Fpop app on the iPad gets jumbled up when the app it opened when the tablet is in landscape mode (which is 95% of the time). Then all the buttons occupy only a third of screen and overlap each other, it's impossible to dial. You have to kill it and then reopen in portrait mode. Often times if it's running in the background, even if you bring it forward in portrait mode it's messed up because you were using landscape mode for other things. It's a real pain in the rear! See for yourself (image below):

So I assume that this problem on the iPad with the app display getting jumbled should NOT be much of an issue on the iPhone (where you use in portrait mode 97% of the time)? Is this a correct assumption?

What issues WILL I need to worry about using the iPhone on FreedomPop (assuming there are no activation problems, that is)?

Thanks,
James
On today's episode of "History in a Nutshell":

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....

Comments

• Ali Ali FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi James!

1. The Apple EarPods aren't included.
    2. iOS isn't customized per carrier so there shouldn't be any problems when using apps :)
    3. There aren't much bugs with the app so you should be fine when using it :+1:
  • RossRoss FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 56
    i just installed Amazon app store and a bunch of apps on my Freedompop branded Samsung Galaxy S3 with no problem. maybe you should uninstall, restart and try again. also did you install and run folder mount (root)?
  • James LummelJames Lummel FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 63
    Thanks, Ali, for the quick answers. I appreciate that. I put an order in on Amazon to get a pair of the Apple Earpods (need them for when I'm driving in California where you HAVE to be hands free).

There are two things I still need to ask about, the first being that I use Facetime a lot from my iPad and one of the reasons I'm going with the iPhone and moving away from the S3 is to be able to use Facetime with the phone.

Will there be any problems using Facetime on the iPhone? I ask because while I saw the message posted about iMessage (which I don't use) and Facetime (which I do use), I can't say that I understood what was being recommended.

Secondly, is there anyway to get that screen problem in the picture above with the FPop Messaging app on the iPad fixed?!?! It only started to happen after the update to iOS 8 and it can really **** up an incoming calls (where you can't close and reopen the app), so it's not only outgoing calls that are affected. This is the ONLY app that this kind of problem has occurred with on the iPad.

Thanks!

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....
    Ross said:

i just installed Amazon app store and a bunch of apps on my Freedompop branded Samsung Galaxy S3 with no problem. maybe you should uninstall, restart and try again. also did you install and run folder mount (root)?

Had this problem with Amazon App store and Google Drive happen on two separate FreedomPop S3 phones, despite uninstalling and re-installing etc. The problem also affected file downloads from Firefox, Amazon MP3 player (could stream but not download), etc.

Fixed the first by flashing it to the stock Sprint firmware using Kies, though I didn't want to do that on the second one.

Please elaborate on what you meant by "also did you install and run folder mount (root)?" as I'm not sure what you are talking about but would be willing to give it a try.

Thanks!

folder mount root fixes the problem you are talking about. it has nothing to do with freedompop rom.its a kitkat issue.

http:en.miui.com/thread-51823-1-1.html
    also I didn't have to configure anything. I just ran the app and it did what it needed to do. simple.
    Ross said:

also I didn't have to configure anything. I just ran the app and it did what it needed to do. simple.

Ok, that makes sense then, I'll give it a try.

I did discover a workaround (without having to change the firmware) and that was to run ES Explorer with the App Permissions plug-in. Once you view the permissions on any app using ES Explorer, you could download without any problems at all. Doing this I was able to get the Amazon App Store to download and install on one of the phones (the one I ended up flashing with Kies), and could download just fine with Amazon MP3 Player, Firefox and Google Drive. Problem was this had to be done every time after a reboot and the phone would become unstable after a while (so I downloaded and/or installed and immediately did a restart).

On the other phone (the one that still has the FPop firmware), viewing permissions with ES Explorer worked as well, but only allowed downloads, installs would hang. And when the screen would timeout and shut off it would remain off until a restart. But after the restart everything worked OK and I could browse to the Amazon apk directory and install the package it downloaded without issue.

So while I got it to work, it was clumsy and hard to do. Problem is this was a known issue with the early S3 custom ROMs that was fixed ages ago, yet we see it here...

On the iPhones they can't modify iOS so no need to worry about them breaking things!! No custom firmware, less that can go wrong.

there is nothing wrong with my s3 rom.
    Ross said:

there is nothing wrong with my s3 rom.

Good to know. There was with mine! Twice even!!

Thought I might update this thread. I cracked the glass on my S3 and did a backup and factory reset before sending it off for repair (too much personal information to send off to some stranger). I just got it back today and trying to restore the back up resulted in a mess and a messed up phone. I sent a PM to Ali and asked for a copy of the FP ROM for the S3 and he sent me the link.

Installing the ROM cleared up the issues with the recovery on the phone and got it working again, though I have to start from scratch and re-install everything. But at least it's working!.

The really great part is the issues I had with the S3 with Amazon App Store, Google Drive, etc that I mention above are all gone with this freshly installed ROM. Everything is working GREAT now, and no more problems with installs and downloading stuff!

James

I got the iPhone in yesterday and after a brief call to tech support, a couple hours later it's activated and working on Sprint LTE!

I have couple more questions now, I hope someone has answers and can post them.

First question is will it impact battery life greatly to leave WiFi on, even when I'm not in an area that I'm using WiFi, and are there any security considerations I need to be aware of with leaving WiFi on? BTW- I usually turn it off with an Android phone due to battery concerns.

Second has to do with how the FreedomPop service works. When I had to send my Samsung S3 out to get fixed, I was able to continue using the S3's phone number for calls and a texts by logging into the S3's account from my iPad Mini (also from FreedomPop).

This seemed to work out ok as I was able to make and receive calls and texts at the number connected to the account that I was signed into, and the mobile data was deducted from the account connected to the iPad Mini.

If I decided to keep the iPhone and make it my main phone (rather than the S3), I'll want to exchange telephone numbers and emails on the accounts (which FP has done in the past for me). The pressure I felt to replace the S3 was eased greatly when I flashed it with the ROM image I got from Ali and the previous problems all disappeared. But there are many other good reasons I may want to switch anyways, so I need to try it out.

But I was wondering if there are any downsides to just logging into the S3's account with the iPhone so I can use that telephone number while evaluating whether to use the S3 or the iPhone?

I've noticed that when making calls sometimes the data is counted against the data allotment on the account and then a data credit is added to offset it. How would this work if mobile data is on an account that is different than the one used for the voice and texting?

When I used the iPad Mini, I didn't concern myself with these things since it was only for one or two specific times since the tablet was not convenient to carry all the time like a phone would be. But with the iPhone I would be doing it quite a bit over the next few days, and that might matter.

And comments would be helpful!

Thought I would update this thread. I returned the iPhone 5 to FreedomPop and received a refund. I solved the worst problem on the iPhone (battery life) with a uNu DX Battery Case I managed to find new for $13 delivered, but it was not enough to keep the phone. Now that my Samsung S3 is working properly I decided to stick with it.

The S3 just does FreedomPop better, and the excellent experience I have with my iPad Mini on FreedomPop just did not translate over to the iPhone 5. Couldn't tell you why, it just didn't. I liked the phone and had it been my first FreedomPop phone I likely would have been happy (once the battery life issue was solved). But it is quirky on FreedomPop, and for me the quirkiness of the Samsung S3 was less of a problem on the day to day basis.

Thanks to those who replied and tried to help me with this phone, I appreciate that you took the time even though it didn't work out in the end.

James