Clicking on any Device's link loops me back to the home page?

Josh F.Josh F. Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
I am logged in to the freedompop webpage, and my default view is my usage stats.
If I click on the "Products" link at the bottom of the page, I am presented with a list of devices. But if I click on any of those devices for more information, it redirects me to this funny-looking URL, which drops me back at my home page again:
http://www.freedompop.com/?funnelName=product&funnelPath=product/

I have reproduced this behavior in both Chrome and Firefox.
Is this a known bug with the "Products" section of the website?

Best Answers

Answers

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Josh F. I am not able to reproduce that error, but I do see that the & code in the link is really just the HTML code for # which shouldn't be there. If you click the link it will scroll you down to the products section :)
  • Josh F.Josh F. Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    There is nothing to scroll.

For example, I am viewing http://www.freedompop.com/products in my browser.
    If I mouse-over the Freedom Spot MiFi 500 LTE link, my browser's status bar tells me that the target URL is http://www.freedompop.com/devices/freedom-spot-lte
    But when I click the link, it directs me immediately to http://www.freedompop.com/?funnelName=product&funnelPath=product/
    and I see nothing more than the same "home" page viewing my usage stats (which makes sense, since the arguments "funnelName" and "funnelPath" are probably being ignored by the index of the page)

This only happens while I am logged in to the site. When I'm logged out, it directs me to a product description page which looks correct.

Another note that might help? If it is due to something in my account, I am currently signed up just for the VOIP services that I use with an android app on my phone.

I am considering the idea of buying a hotspot to supplement some of my regular mobile carrier usage, but it looks like the website won't let me visit the product pages to purchase while logged in.

I have looked at the Javascript Console while clicking these links, tried to view the source code of the pages, but can't really decipher what's going on. As far as I can tell, the whole "funnelName/funnelPath" stuff comes from some sort of analytics script.

I would have posted this in a "general tech support for the website" forum but I could not find anything appropriate.

Are there any freedompop.com web developers out there who can figure out what's going on?
  • Dennis BourniqueDennis Bournique Posts: 153FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    The FreedomPop site has been doing this for at least a year. You can not view the products or buy a device if you are logged in, you have to log out. The bug has been reported before but never seems to get fixed.
  • Carl FalconeCarl Falcone Posts: 46FreedomPop Newbie
    Yes I have the same problem. It's been like this for a while.
  • ???? ??????? ??? Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    I see the problem. Its not a bug per se. It could be fixed, but its actually a good security measure they have implemented. Its like trying to visit a site through your bank account on the banks computers. Its just not suppose to happen that way. That is why its not a bug.
    Thanks for all your answers. I guess that if I want to pick up a hotspot device, I'll have to create a second account and not be able to share anycash balance between them. Oh well.
  • Dennis BourniqueDennis Bournique Posts: 153FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

I see the problem. Its not a bug per se. It could be fixed, but its actually a good security measure they have implemented. Its like trying to visit a site through your bank account on the banks computers. Its just not suppose to happen that way. That is why its not a bug.

Security against what? All it does is prevent a logged in user from viewing the details of a device or purchasing a new device. I can't think of any reason why FreedomPop would not want its users to buy more devices.

If it's working as designed then strictly speaking it's not a programing bug. Instead it's a user interface design error called a "garden path", which means an interactive design element that doesn't do what it appears to users that it should do.